• Get involved.
    We want your input!
    Apply for Membership and join the conversations about everything related to broadcasting.

After we receive your registration, a moderator will review it. After your registration is approved, you will be permitted to post.
    If you use a disposable or false email address, your registration will be rejected.

After your membership is approved, please take a minute to tell us a little bit about yourself.
    https://www.radiodiscussions.com/forums/introduce-yourself.1088/

Thanks in advance and have fun!
    RadioDiscussions Administrators

WVVD-LP 96.5

Is anyone able to confirm this is active (looks like it's close to the Fairgrounds), and if so, the signal range? I recall when the application was filed but completely forgot about it. I never make it to eastern Tampa unless heading to Orlando.

http://www.vida965.com/

Call Sign: WVVD-LP
Facility Id: 135008
Community of License: EAST TAMPA, FL
Service: FL
Fac Type: LOW POWER FM STATION
Status Date: 10/17/2008
Frequency: 96.5
Channel: 243
Digital Status:
Lic Expir: 02/01/2012
Licensee: IGLESIA CRISTIANA LA NUEVA JERUSALEM, INC.
Address: 6616 E. CHALSEA ST.
Address 2:
City: TAMPA
State: FL
Zip Code: 33610 -
Phone Number: (305) 593-2727

TerryKay said:
Is anyone able to confirm this is active (looks like it's close to the Fairgrounds), and if so, the signal range? I recall when the application was filed but completely forgot about it. I never make it to eastern Tampa unless heading to Orlando.

http://www.vida965.com/

Call Sign: WVVD-LP
Facility Id: 135008
Community of License: EAST TAMPA, FL
Service: FL
Fac Type: LOW POWER FM STATION
Status Date: 10/17/2008
Frequency: 96.5
Channel: 243
Digital Status:
Lic Expir: 02/01/2012
Licensee: IGLESIA CRISTIANA LA NUEVA JERUSALEM, INC.
Address: 6616 E. CHALSEA ST.
Address 2:
City: TAMPA
State: FL
Zip Code: 33610 -
Phone Number: (305) 593-2727
I haven't listened to them for a few weeks, but earlier they were on the air, as I was picking them up in the Shore Acres area and and as far south as the waterfront in s.e. St. Petersburg. YOu'll have better luck trying to receive them in greater-metro Gibsonton!

http://www.radio-locator.com/cgi-bin/pat?call=WVVD&service=FL&status=L&hours=U
dr!

drt:

I wonder why the COL is East Tampa, and the church address in near the Fairgrounds, but yet the transmitter is near Gibsonton?

TerryKay said:
drt:

I wonder why the COL is East Tampa, and the church address in near the Fairgrounds, but yet the transmitter is near Gibsonton?
I haven't a clue and it doesn't make any sense to me, but this is not an isolated situation; I'm beginning to think that there's no rhyme or reason for a COL anymore as long as it's in the same state! :)

Reach FM has a repeater/translator on 94.5 licensed to Gulfport, but their tower is on the ClearChannel tower complex on the Pinellas side of Gandy Blvd; just east of Debry Lane. At any rate the 94.5 signal flutters and has static in it's COL of Gulfport and that's on a good car radio.

On a larger scale, WFUS with towers in Hillsborough county (Riverview) and studios on Gandy Blvd in Tampa also has a COL of Gulfport and as far as I know there's no physical presense in Gulfport (other than ClearChannel billboards!) in Pinellas county let alone Gulfport.

Speaking of 96.5 now that the religious translator in Palmetto is no longer on the air, I can now also pick up the LPFM 96.5 out of
Sarasota. WRXB has supposedly bought the 96.5 translator in Palmetto, but last time I checked it is not broadcasting

drt

Both sound like "doable" targets. Will give them a shot. 96.5 is usually the no Joy translator (I think that's who that is) when pointing show. Sarasota maybe easier than Gibsonton!
What's up Terry?!

Greg Myers
Holiday

The main studio rule states that a commercial FM station may maintian its main studio anywhere within its 70dbu (city grade) contour unless the licensee obtains a special waiver granting the licensee authorization to maintain its main studio outside of its 70dbu contour, previously known as an Arizona Waiver. The 70dbu rule is how stations such as WFUS are able to legally maintain its main studio in Tampa although its COL is Gulfport.

For NCE-FMs, the main studio may be located anywhere within its 60dbu contour; However there are also exceptions in the NCE-FM rules:

Ex: Bible Broadcasting Network (BBN) owned WYFY-AM Rome, New York has its main studio in Charlotte, North Carolina. The FCC granted the studio waiver because WYFY is operated as a non-commercial / educational radio station with it's programming supplied via satellite from the main "mother" station WYFQ-AM Charlotte. In fact every BBN owned station located across the country has this waiver designating Charlotte as the location for each station's main studiio via WYFQ-AM.

fldxer said:
Both sound like "doable" targets. Will give them a shot. 96.5 is usually the no Joy translator (I think that's who that is) when pointing show. Sarasota maybe easier than Gibsonton!
What's up Terry?!

Greg Myers
Holiday

That should be "pointing south" ... sry

jmtillery said:
The main studio rule states that a commercial FM station may maintian its main studio anywhere within its 70dbu (city grade) contour unless the licensee obtains a special waiver granting the licensee authorization to maintain its main studio outside of its 70dbu contour, previously known as an Arizona Waiver. The 70dbu rule is how stations such as WFUS are able to legally maintain its main studio in Tampa although its COL is Gulfport.

For NCE-FMs, the main studio may be located anywhere within its 60dbu contour; However there are also exceptions in the NCE-FM rules:

Ex: Bible Broadcasting Network (BBN) owned WYFY-AM Rome, New York has its main studio in Charlotte, North Carolina. The FCC granted the studio waiver because WYFY is operated as a non-commercial / educational radio station with it's programming supplied via satellite from the main "mother" station WYFQ-AM Charlotte. In fact every BBN owned station located across the country has this waiver designating Charlotte as the location for each station's main studiio via WYFQ-AM.
I am aware of these rules, and know that this is legal, but that said, (maybe I'm dense) I still can't understand the rhyme or reason for some of the COL's. The BBN trprsyrt in the Tarpon Springs area does show the COL as Tarpon Springs, but the Reach FM repeater in extreme n.e. St. Pete (just as close to downtown Tampa as downtown St. Pete)has a COL of a city to the s.w. of St. Pete (Gulfport, where the station is basically unreceivable, except on a a good car radio.

2b continued......................

part 2.............. the REACH FM (mother station in Okeechobee) with antenna on the St. Pete side of Gandy Blvd has it's COL in Gulfport, at least 15 miles away and basically has a useless signal in Gulfport, but the REACH FM translator 5 miles to the w.s.w. in Pinellas Park has it's antenna and COL as Pinellas Park, still can't figure the rhyme or reason.
(can't have too many REACH FM translators! :) ) For a full powered commercial station, I can certainly understand the reason to have a strange COL as a long term strategy to gradually move into another market or to market themselves differently. In WFUS's case, I know it's legal, but being the analytical person that I am, I'm trying to figure out why this is.

It seems odd to me that Gulfport, one of the smallest cities in south Pinellas county has two stations that use it as a COL, for reasons unknown to me. I could at least understand using Treasure Island as that sounds exotic...... but Gulfport?!?

drt

How are these LPFM's allowed to be on the air? WHTQ, the real 96.5 in Florida should boom well into East Trampa.

Maybe I have an explanation for you being the holder of a translator license that has moved from it's original COL.
I noticed that as I moved my translator the commission did not change the COL even though the COL could no longer receive the signal. I intend to ask them for a change of COL once I am at my intended destination. I'm thinking it's just a quirk of translator policy.
Don't know about LPFM but certainly full power commercials have to place a minimum of 70 dbu over the majority of their COL or in the case of noncoms 60 dbu.

Thank you CaptBob92 for what could be the explanation in this case. I do know in the case of WSMR's translator in Brandon, now that WUSF has bought WSMR 89.1 as well as the Brandon translator at 103.9 they are changing the COL....... but that situation was probably under more scrutiny by the FCC since it not only involved a move, but an increase in power (from 99 to 250 watts) and tower height as well. (not to mention that the translator has been silent since early August).

As far as Orlando's 96.5 WHPQ being received in East Tampa, it can be or at least just east of Tampa on I-75.

Between translators and LPFM's the FM band in most of Florida is getting pretty congested and in some cases there is interference between some translators and LPFM's.

drt

vadar said:
How are these LPFM's allowed to be on the air? WHTQ, the real 96.5 in Florida should boom well into East Trampa.

WHTQ does put in a good signal in these parts, but it is all tropo enhanced, hence the LP allocations as we're not within their coverage area.

Greg
Holiday and all of the Tampa Bay area

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.
Back
Top Bottom