• Get involved.
    We want your input!
    Apply for Membership and join the conversations about everything related to broadcasting.

After we receive your registration, a moderator will review it. After your registration is approved, you will be permitted to post.
    If you use a disposable or false email address, your registration will be rejected.

After your membership is approved, please take a minute to tell us a little bit about yourself.
    https://www.radiodiscussions.com/forums/introduce-yourself.1088/

Thanks in advance and have fun!
    RadioDiscussions Administrators

WTVN Seems To Be Back Up To 5000 Watts DA-N

Wow. That would be pretty good evidence for me. There was some chatter on the Columbus board about the tower replacement finally being finished a few weeks ago but nothing further and I haven't had a chance to check the signal at night (i.e. I keep forgetting). I live in a deep east-northeast null about 12 miles from their tower farm.
Didn't realize it came in that well that far north.

Though the actual IDFs toward me and the angle of skywave departure are other factors, Milwaukee is quite a bit closer than Columbus. Usually, they rebuild components causing system losses when they replace a tower, and WTVN may be a little stronger from that also.

WTVN seemingly goes forever heading north.

Wow. That would be pretty good evidence for me. There was some chatter on the Columbus board about the tower replacement finally being finished a few weeks ago but nothing further and I haven't had a chance to check the signal at night (i.e. I keep forgetting). I live in a deep east-northeast null about 12 miles from their tower farm.
Didn't realize it came in that well that far north.

I guess it does. My college haunts in Toledo fell at the front end of their cancellation zone and I never figured out where the skywave really kicked in going north. Darn impressive for that dial position.
Excited to be heading back into the DX season. Radioman, if you hear it on an Arctic SDR, please share! Hope I remember to check.

Anybody know what led Carl E. Smith to have all those different height towers? Some sectionalized. Some monopole. Was that really necessary to achieve the pattern, and what specific pattern requirements did that favor? Or was it just a World War II era steel shortage, and the DA was cobbled together with what was available? Wish I'd asked Glen Clark before he died. I just thought Glen wouldn't have wanted to talk to those of us with lesser knowledge. But reading his life stories, he was a lot like us here on the board!

I guess it does. My college haunts in Toledo fell at the front end of their cancellation zone and I never figured out where the skywave really kicked in going north. Darn impressive for that dial position.
Excited to be heading back into the DX season. Radioman, if you hear it on an Arctic SDR, please share! Hope I remember to check.

I will let you know. I probably won't get into it seriously until later in Oct, but I may check sooner. In any event if I hear it I'll let you know.

I'll look for it on the Arctic SDR this winter.
I've looked for WTVN on the Arctic SDR, but so far, I haven't heard it. Of course most recently, the STA woould explain that.

I was on both the Norway and Westfjords Iceland SDRs last night (9/22). Not all that much, but things seemed to at least be getting started for the coming DX season. I heard WBBR and the NYC 1560 on the Norway rig. Those two, along with WBZ, WFED, on the Iceland radio, as well as fairly strong American accentede English talk on 1390 (but didn't catch an ID).

I've looked for WTVN on the Arctic SDR, but so far, I haven't heard it. Of course most recently, the STA woould explain that.

I was on both the Norway and Westfjords Iceland SDRs last night (9/22). Not all that much, but things seemed to at least be getting started for the coming DX season. I heard WBBR and the NYC 1560 on the Norway rig. Those two, along with WBZ, WFED, on the Iceland radio, as well as fairly strong American accentede English talk on 1390 (but didn't catch an ID).

I would imagine that things should start getting much better on the Arctic receiver as we get into mid-October. DX season is right around the corner.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.
Back
Top Bottom