• Get involved.
    We want your input!
    Apply for Membership and join the conversations about everything related to broadcasting.

After we receive your registration, a moderator will review it. After your registration is approved, you will be permitted to post.
    If you use a disposable or false email address, your registration will be rejected.

After your membership is approved, please take a minute to tell us a little bit about yourself.
    https://www.radiodiscussions.com/forums/introduce-yourself.1088/

Thanks in advance and have fun!
    RadioDiscussions Administrators

WTBS 87.7 Atlanta just rec'd outside Boston

In the car I just had 87.7 WTBS-LP going in and out here in a suburb just outside Boston. Thats some decent e-skip.

Heard a full ID with call letters and "Old School" tagline. Content was 80s and 90s r&b

FM skip was very strong in the east today. MUF was around the 2-meter amateur band (144 mhz) and at times, higher (close to 162). I heard WAAG-94.9 IL on a Global Tuners receiver near Philadelphia. A DXer in Atlanta on the skip log was getting quite a few New England stations (including 99.5 WCRB Boston) and 100.3 Philadelphia, along with Quebec later in the evening.

The radio-locator database shows no such call letters assigned to any AM / FM station in the United States. And 87.7 is not an authorized FM broadcast frequency. Are you sure you weren't getting a nearby FM modulator re-broadcasting an infomercial for 80's / 90's music?

On the flip-side of the coin, here in Spartanburg, SC, I heard a baseball game on 100.1 FM yesterday evening, and a mention of Boston Red Sox Radio Network. Going by the information on their website, I'm guessing the station I heard was WHOU from Houlton, ME.

Earlier that evening, I heard a country station on that same frequency calling itself "Big Country 100.1". A Google search of that handle turned up KOLV from Olivia, MN. I also heard a station on 96.7 calling itself "Hot 96.7." I'm guessing that was WHTQ from Whiting, WI. (Makes sense if I was picking up a Minnesota station around the same time. )

FM skip was very strong in the east today. MUF was around the 2-meter amateur band (144 mhz) and at times, higher (close to 162). I heard WAAG-94.9 IL on a Global Tuners receiver near Philadelphia.

WAAG-94.9 is actually from Galesburg, IL--less than an hour west of Peoria. On a good car radio that station is still at least a fluttery regular here in Springfield , despite one of our local AM's, WMAY-970 here in Springfield, putting an FM translator on 94.7. WAAG is also one of the longest-running country stations at least in the Midwest (the station has been on the air 50 years now but has "only" been country since about 1973).

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.
Back
Top Bottom