• Get involved.
    We want your input!
    Apply for Membership and join the conversations about everything related to broadcasting.

After we receive your registration, a moderator will review it. After your registration is approved, you will be permitted to post.
    If you use a disposable or false email address, your registration will be rejected.

After your membership is approved, please take a minute to tell us a little bit about yourself.
    https://www.radiodiscussions.com/forums/introduce-yourself.1088/

Thanks in advance and have fun!
    RadioDiscussions Administrators

WRTO stunting.

DavidEduardo

Moderator/Administrator
Staff member
Since 1 AM last night WRTO has been playing a loop and stunting. They are saying that "reggaetón dies at 11:53 this morning" for last 10 hours.

> Since 1 AM last night WRTO has been playing a loop and
> stunting. They are saying that "reggaetón dies at 11:53 this
> morning" for last 10 hours.
>

Keep us informed on what you wind up doing there. God knows you guys messed up hardcore with your last change.

BTW, if a radio station stunts and the only person who posts about it is the station consultant; is it really a stunt?

LOL!

> > Since 1 AM last night WRTO has been playing a loop and
> > stunting. They are saying that "reggaetón dies at 11:53
> this
> > morning" for last 10 hours.
> >
>
> Keep us informed on what you wind up doing there. God knows
> you guys messed up hardcore with your last change.

Classic Salsa.
>
> BTW, if a radio station stunts and the only person who posts
> about it is the station consultant; is it really a stunt?

I am not the consultant.

Re: Still La Kalle.

> > La Kalle is Dead! Long Live Salsa 98.3!
>
> It is still called La Kalle.
>

LOL! That makes PERFECT sense. WRTO just continues to do EXACTLY the dumbest thing available to them. Chase Mega (but only halfway), then go back (sorta) but keep a name with zero brand value.

Wow.

Re: Still La Kalle.

> > > La Kalle is Dead! Long Live Salsa 98.3!
> >
> > It is still called La Kalle.
> >
>
>
> LOL! That makes PERFECT sense. WRTO just continues to do
> EXACTLY the dumbest thing available to them. Chase Mega
> (but only halfway),

That was the idea, to be a blend. However, advertisers in Miami are not interested in 18-34 Hispanic lisetners, so no matter whaat the ratings, attcking this demo is difficult. Mega is billing 1/4 of what they had as a rocker.

> then go back (sorta) but keep a name
> with zero brand value.

The format is totally different than Salsa 98.3, which played everything form El Gato Volador to Castles in the Sky, but no classic salsa of any vaue. A well done salsa format works very, very well against 30+ in my experience.

> > > Since 1 AM last night WRTO has been playing a loop and
> > > stunting. They are saying that "reggaetón dies at 11:53
> > this
> > > morning" for last 10 hours.
> > >
> >
> > Keep us informed on what you wind up doing there. God
> knows
> > you guys messed up hardcore with your last change.
>
> Classic Salsa.
> >
> > BTW, if a radio station stunts and the only person who
> posts
> > about it is the station consultant; is it really a stunt?
>
> I am not the consultant.
>

So I guess I didn't get what the change was. The name is still "La Kalle." What is the music mix now - just Salsa? Currents and gold??

>
> So I guess I didn't get what the change was. The name is
> still "La Kalle." What is the music mix now - just Salsa?
> Currents and gold??

Clasic salsa. 1970 and up. There is pretty much no such thing as current salsa.
>

So, what they want to do playing classic salsa??? Beat Clasica 92 And with this name? mmmm...

Breaking News!!!!
I just got the transcription of Univision Radio's "brains" meeting which it didn't hapen yet (It's scheduled for june, 2006):

- Well guys, Classic Salsa didn't work... There is another station targeting "oldies" listeners in... mmm 92.3... yes 92.3 cooooño...
- Oh, Claudia, I didn't know that...So, let's flip to....mmm let's see: OK, let's roll the dice and let's our good luck help us...Who took the damn dice????
-Oh it's here in my left hand... sorry, I don't use my left hand...haha OK, roll the dice, Jesus...
-6.... what is 6???
-Six is Classic Merengue with peruvian hardcore, mexican classical music and nicaraguan reggae.
-Good, Claudia let's do it... and let's call it... mmm Luna 98.3,,,, yes, It's
a cute name, and nobody will notice that it's the oposite to Zol, hahahaha...

Stupid, right? Maybe this dumb conversation that I typed will never exist, but trust me: After 6 years living in this paradise, I learned that even if they don't have these conversations, they do stupid moves in this loser station.

R.I.P. Salsa, La Kalle or whatever they call it.

> >
> > So I guess I didn't get what the change was. The name is
> > still "La Kalle." What is the music mix now - just Salsa?
>
> > Currents and gold??
>
> Clasic salsa. 1970 and up. There is pretty much no such
> thing as current salsa.
> >
>

Re: Reality.

> So, what they want to do playing classic salsa??? Beat
> Clasica 92 And with this name? mmmm...

Classic salsa is basically a male 35-54 format. Clásica is a 45+ female station, with an average age of 54, and it fails miserably in 25-54 demos as so much of the listening is by 55+. Classic salsa is the opposite... right in the middle of the buying demos in Miami.

Classic salsa had been the base of Salsoul, the #1 station in Puerto Rico for the last 20 years. They changed it, adding merengue and reggaeton and dropped badly. Now, Z-93, an all music classic salsa station beats Salsoul in November's extraps. This is hardly an unproven format. But it was not a strategic opening in early 2005.

Radio programming is dynamic. With Mega failing miserably, and the market not supprting an 18-34 Spanish langauge format, and with WXDJ playing reggaeton too, this is a logical move given all the otehr changes in 2005.

>
> Radio programming is dynamic. With Mega failing miserably,
> and the market not supprting an 18-34 Spanish langauge
> format, and with WXDJ playing reggaeton too, this is a
> logical move given all the otehr changes in 2005.

Okay, I'm not going to just flat out say "Mega failing miserably" is wrong because you usually have some justification.

But I don't agree that advertisers WILL NOT support an 18-34 station. It's just new to them. There's never been a Latin station in Miami truly targeting 18-34. This is a standard "English" Top 40 dilemna but so far the other Spanish stations are doing what most heritage T40 stations do. Protect the upper demos. And that's the beginning of the end for them.

Welcome the Spanish language agencies to 2006!

Your earlier comparison of Mega to Zeta billings is not valid. What else you got?

>

> >
> > Radio programming is dynamic. With Mega failing miserably,
>
> > and the market not supprting an 18-34 Spanish langauge
> > format, and with WXDJ playing reggaeton too, this is a
> > logical move given all the otehr changes in 2005.
>
>
> Okay, I'm not going to just flat out say "Mega failing
> miserably" is wrong because you usually have some
> justification.

In 1995, it billed 1/4 of what it did in 2004 with a rock format. The losses are near $5 million.
>
> But I don't agree that advertisers WILL NOT support an 18-34
> station. It's just new to them. There's never been a Latin
> station in Miami truly targeting 18-34.

And in Miami, most of the clients are Hispanic, unlike the rest of the country. They do not like the music... they do not advertise on it. This is the problem with 18-34. It was tried as far back as Super Q in the late 70's, and did not work then, either. Many other tries have been made, hoping that things have changed... Exitosa, Caliente, etc., but they have not changed.

> This is a standard
> "English" Top 40 dilemna but so far the other Spanish
> stations are doing what most heritage T40 stations do.
> Protect the upper demos. And that's the beginning of the
> end for them.

There is a difference in that the issue is that the advertisers are also local listeners, and they don't like the music forms popular with younger demos, and don't buy.
>
> Welcome the Spanish language agencies to 2006!
>
> Your earlier comparison of Mega to Zeta billings is not
> valid. What else you got?

It's totally valid. It is based on Miller Kaplan data. WWFE billed more.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.
Back
Top Bottom