• Get involved.
    We want your input!
    Apply for Membership and join the conversations about everything related to broadcasting.

After we receive your registration, a moderator will review it. After your registration is approved, you will be permitted to post.
    If you use a disposable or false email address, your registration will be rejected.

After your membership is approved, please take a minute to tell us a little bit about yourself.
    https://www.radiodiscussions.com/forums/introduce-yourself.1088/

Thanks in advance and have fun!
    RadioDiscussions Administrators

WROR :80's, 90's and More Variety

Has anyone seen new TV spots for WROR promoting updated playlist and new slogan :80's, 90's and More Variety? It seems like they've transitioned from "80's and More Variety" to a wider playlist in recent months. They even branch out into early 2000's with updated sound.

Last edited:
@bostonradio noted: "Looks like 105.7 has added the 90's to its name. Hopefully that means more Fatboy Slim and Stereo MC's in the mix..."
As we approach 2024, if you set aside any 2000s decade, we're talking the most recent Nineties year being 25 years ago. And 1980 will be 44 years ago by the time we hit the new year.
For earlier stuff than 1980 there's always WMEX, WJIB--for now, and so on.

(Note: in a list of their songs on their site, there are a select few 70s tunes and even one from the 60s--Brown Eyed Girl)

Last edited:
@bostonradio noted: "Looks like 105.7 has added the 90's to its name. Hopefully that means more Fatboy Slim and Stereo MC's in the mix..."
As we approach 2024, if you set aside any 2000s decade, we're talking the most recent Nineties year being 25 years ago. And 1980 will be 44 years ago by the time we hit the new year.
For earlier stuff than 1980 there's always WMEX, WJIB--for now, and so on.
Has WZLX dumped pre-1980 music, or does classic rock continue to defy conventional wisdom about the music preferences of the prime sales demographics?

BTW, a look at the WROR playlist shows plenty of '70s titles still being played: "Rocket Man," "Hold the Line," "The Long Run," "Changes," .... even that durable '60s survivor "Brown Eyed Girl." No sign of any shift in focus.

Last edited:
My take is this is just a marketing line, not meant to be taken as factual information. So perhaps the core is 80s and 90s, and the 70s is the "more variety" part, along with some 2000s.

Has WZLX dumped pre-1980 music, or does classic rock continue to defy conventional wisdom about the music preferences of the prime sales demographics?

BTW, a look at the WROR playlist shows plenty of '70s titles still being played: "Rocket Man," "Hold the Line," "The Long Run," "Changes," .... even that durable '60s survivor "Brown Eyed Girl." No sign of any shift in focus.
Traditional Classic Rock stations like WZLX continues to play songs from the 70s. Immediately Led Zepplin and AC/DC come to mind.

60s or 70s music, 70s especially, may have more staying power--with some younger folks embracing music from before their birth. Still, inevitably as time
marches on, they shift focus to more recent decades. Here, adding the 90s.

I recall when WODS dumped oldies, or "greatest hits" in 2012 and went to "Amp"
CHR. I noted that on the day before they changed, I Wanna Hold Your Hand was played, and
"if you were 12 when that came out, you are 60 now"--in 2012. Older demo.

As for talk hosts Howie still out there.
I can remember he (in 1952) was born 10 years before I was (in 1962) so easy for me to remember his age. He's still doing shows--and will be 72 in mid Jan.

Last I checked the playlist hasn’t changed yet. There’s more 70s than 90s. The 2000s songs have been there a while. It’s just a trick to attract a younger audience. Q105 Tampa and KKLZ Las Vegas are using the same slogan.

Maybe variety is latest buzzword though 99.1 has been using it awhile. "Variety hits" and "adult hits" have been used for stations like WBGB 103.3-- and the former Mike 93.7
which gave way to being sports WEEI's new home in 2011. There were oddball things that popped up in Mike's mix like old country crossovers or forgotten 70s hits but bit by bit they did the tried-and-true. The last song they played was Free Bird.
On boomboxes at workplaces--WZLX, WROR, Kiss, maybe 96.9 etc
As for WJIB it may well go to an owner who does religious, ethnic, etc. If someone can keep current format but either fundraise (not easy to get a lot of money) or take advantage of their commercial license and run ads...but how many advertisers will they attract?
Don't know how Larry & Tony's WMEX is doing financially. Ed Perry sold it to them for $390k

WZLX still plays many '70s and even a few late '60s classic rock warhorses.

They're not playing them for the demographic that grew up with them, they're playing them for younger people who discovered them later when they were already Classic Rock, and still think that certain songs/bands/artists of that era are cool.

However, much of WZLX is '80s and '90s rock.

WROR is still playing around 3, generally 4 70s tracks per hour, and still going back to the early 70s ("Maggie May", "Stuck in the Middle With You", etc). Way more than any Audacy classic hits station has been playing for a number of years now. Seems the same to me as 6 months ago or so, they may have increased the 90s but actually that may have come at the expense of an 80s song.

Has anyone seen new TV spots for WROR promoting updated playlist and new slogan :80's, 90's and More Variety? It seems like they've transitioned from "80's and More Variety" to a wider playlist in recent months. They even branch out into early 2000's with updated sound.
I caught the ad just the other day. I have not tuned it yet to hear any difference at all though.

Back
Top Bottom