• Get involved.
    We want your input!
    Apply for Membership and join the conversations about everything related to broadcasting.

After we receive your registration, a moderator will review it. After your registration is approved, you will be permitted to post.
    If you use a disposable or false email address, your registration will be rejected.

After your membership is approved, please take a minute to tell us a little bit about yourself.
    https://www.radiodiscussions.com/forums/introduce-yourself.1088/

Thanks in advance and have fun!
    RadioDiscussions Administrators

Would a soft AC work here in LA?

I second that. I enjoyed 97.1 AMP even though they didn’t have mix shows. Hell I even listened during their time as 97.1 Now.
The time where chr was hot and streaming hadn't become the force that it is with younger demos closed.
KIIS had Amp as a direct competitor yet had stronger numbers than they do now, though they seem to be on an upspring recently and Ryan Seacrest is coming back to LA I believe.

There might have been a time a few years back where the second chr in some specific markets like LA could've took on a dance lean but that window has been closed.
Please, don't critique a dance leaning chr based upon USA examples as no one has ever done that format correctly since KTU had a gold leaning version prior to being acquired by iheart.

The time where chr was hot and streaming hadn't become the force that it is with younger demos closed.
KIIS had Amp as a direct competitor yet had stronger numbers than they do now, though they seem to be on an upspring recently and Ryan Seacrest is coming back to LA I believe.

There might have been a time a few years back where the second chr in some specific markets like LA could've took on a dance lean but that window has been closed.
Please, don't critique a dance leaning chr based upon USA examples as no one has ever done that format correctly since KTU had a gold leaning version prior to being acquired by iheart.
Bro I wasn’t criticizing in any context. No disrespect intended.

Seacrest does not go to the KIIS studios often, whether he is in LA or not. The show is "assembled" from bits and pieces that he provides either individually or in sets of work parts that go between songs.
That was long ago and only in a few markets. The CHR alternative is Churban which is more rhythmic but without being dance oriented.
You will note that the countries that have dance permeated CHR stations tend to be in markets that have a very small Black population... like Milano or Hamburg or Mexico City... or Ibiza. Where there is a Black population, the influence on local CHR tastes comes from a long heritage of R&B / Motown / rhythmic airplay.

Bro I wasn’t criticizing in any context. No disrespect intended.
I'm sorry if my comment may have come off directly intended, I hate that plain text is so widely open to interpretation and I once thought I destroyed a relationship with a girl that I really cared for only to find that I didn't read her text messages the way that she meant them. It's funny, the place I spent some good money at was on our station and the owner gave me no issues on the return. What's funny is later he calls me on the request line in early February and I ended up making a slightly modified purchase then.

No, I just think that in some select markets a dance leaning chr would have been viable if it was executed correctly. Not setting the earth on fire but for those with a one point something would see at least a modest improvement.

David, you bring up the exact thing that would be my focus on such a project. While I believe the attempts at this format in the USA were flawed, I also know that you could never just model it from a successful station in a market that is nothing like your own.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.
Back
Top Bottom