• Get involved.
    We want your input!
    Apply for Membership and join the conversations about everything related to broadcasting.

After we receive your registration, a moderator will review it. After your registration is approved, you will be permitted to post.
    If you use a disposable or false email address, your registration will be rejected.

After your membership is approved, please take a minute to tell us a little bit about yourself.
    https://www.radiodiscussions.com/forums/introduce-yourself.1088/

Thanks in advance and have fun!
    RadioDiscussions Administrators

WNIX Stunting in Greenville

lfuss

Inactive
Inactive User
1330-WNIX is playing nothing but patriotic songs all day Memorial Day. Will the oldies format be back tomorrow, or will something new be rolled out? There's a clue at www.wnixradio.com. (OK, it's rather blatant, so it's not really a clue). Also, I hear a new GM is arriving on Wednesday. (Gee, I wonder where I heard that?)

LF

lfuss said:
1330-WNIX is playing nothing but patriotic songs all day Memorial Day. Will the oldies format be back tomorrow, or will something new be rolled out? There's a clue at www.wnixradio.com. (OK, it's rather blatant, so it's not really a clue). Also, I hear a new GM is arriving on Wednesday. (Gee, I wonder where I heard that?)

LF
Yep,going after that new Teletubby void in the market, I see.

On a clear day you used to be able to get WNIX on a car radio in the Jackson area. No so much anymore with all the static from all the power lines criss crossing the highway. In my neighborhood in some areas you can only pick up WJNT 50,000 watts, everything elses has so much static its not worth listening to it. I wish the FCC would crack down on the power companies for emiting all that buzzing and static. We are on Southern Pine and it seems to be worse than Entergy about the static. You literally have to drive out into the woods to listen to the radio these days.

Entergy must be one of the better power companies around because where I live, I rarely hear power line noise... I think in four years, the power's gone off for over a minute maybe twice. And one of those times was for line replacement.

I see you have Wayne Bennett doing the morning show. I was wondering what happened to him. We worked together when he owned KUUZ.

Larry is a good operator and he'll make some noise in "Da Delta". It is about time somebody stepped up to the plate and attempted to make something happen to Greenville Radio! All he needs now is a sales department that can put some bucks on the books.

flytrap said:
I wish the FCC would crack down on the power companies for emiting all that buzzing and static.

The FCC will. Of course, they won't do anything until they know about it. And, the utility has to have failed to mitigate the noise after proper notice.

I'm a ham, and I must say my local power company knows me VERY WELL. I know enough to identify the offending poles and send them a letter citing the applicable Part 15 Rules. I suppose it also helps that they knew I am a lawyer, too.

After a couple of phone calls, I had a pole crew around my home for almost 3 days, changing out insulators. When it recurs, I call them back.

DE

The buzzing was so bad several years ago that it completly obliterated the AM band. Not one single station could be heard not even WJNT with 50Kw. It was actually interfering with FM stations also. It was really that bad. the old analog WLBT was also plagued with white sparkles as well due to the static. After Katrina knocked out the power, It was a little quieter for a while but now its back to static city. This time its more of a white noise or loud hiss and less buzz except on certain frequencies, but still hardly worth listening. On Gunter road and around the Monterey community in Rankin county AM listening is almost impossible due to the power line static.

The radio stations themselves need to drive around and identify areas where the static is, and turn these power companies in. But just like everything AM the days, nobody cares, not even the stations themselves. But please don't create static when I'm listening to Rush.

So what's the outcome of the stunting on WNIX? Seems that Larry Fuss has brought in a GM now and hopefully he is stirring up local media with some better than average radio. What do you think his chances are since Debut lost a ton with the Greenville cluster? Seems the old Debut GM is across the street at the country station and has a ax to grind.

nuffsaid said:
So what's the outcome of the stunting on WNIX? Seems that Larry Fuss has brought in a GM now and hopefully he is stirring up local media with some better than average radio. What do you think his chances are since Debut lost a ton with the Greenville cluster? Seems the old Debut GM is across the street at the country station and has a ax to grind.
The old Debut GM is partly to blame for Debut's failure. He was selling spots for LESS THAN A DOLLAR! You can't make a living doing that.

LF

Larry you cannot fight cheap in a market that thinks cheap! We all know there is no advertiser out there that wants to spend anything much less buy radio advertising. These are hard times for small market radio but feel sure you will win them over. Good luck!

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.
Back
Top Bottom