• Get involved.
    We want your input!
    Apply for Membership and join the conversations about everything related to broadcasting.

After we receive your registration, a moderator will review it. After your registration is approved, you will be permitted to post.
    If you use a disposable or false email address, your registration will be rejected.

After your membership is approved, please take a minute to tell us a little bit about yourself.
    https://www.radiodiscussions.com/forums/introduce-yourself.1088/

Thanks in advance and have fun!
    RadioDiscussions Administrators

WNBN 1290 sets up Go Fund Me page

They need to give it up. If you are resorting to GoFundMe for repairs, you have no business running a radio station. Just my opinion, based on 30+ years in broadcasting.

They need to give it up. If you are resorting to GoFundMe for repairs, you have no business running a radio station. Just my opinion, based on 30+ years in broadcasting.

But if the station provides a valued service to a market without other options... which may be a town with limited or declining retail business... it makes sense for the community to support a station.

But if the station provides a valued service to a market without other options... which may be a town with limited or declining retail business... it makes sense for the community to support a station.

I would agree with you if DWNBN was a locally owned station that played by the rules. There are over 20 locally receivable FM signals and 6 other AM signals in the market, several of which serve the local area quite well. DWNBN has a history with the FCC, going back to 1988 when Frank Rackley made the decision to build the transmitter site at an unlicensed location. It was pointed out to him in 2008 when the station was inspected and fined for the unlicensed location, among other violations. Frank never bothered to file a modification to correct the coordinates.

I have problems with a station that has knowingly operated in violation of FCC rules for years, and continues to operate even though their license has been cancelled.

Good Lord that's bold. A Go Fund Me for a, in essence pirate operation and soliciting media coverage.

Glen Musgrove of Gulfport was telling me about this operation when he was in my area last week doing some work for WDSW-LP.

I know Glen. He’s a good engineer. You’re fortunate to have him working for you.

They're still in the process of appealing their deletion so they're still allowed to operate. I also believe that they want to correct the issues noted, which I'm sure would be part of any deal to fully reinstate their license. WNBN, even with their faults, does provide a unique voice that the other stations simply do not. For that reason, I'm cheering them on but also hope they will become fully compliant with FCC regulations in the process of upgrading their equipment.

So sad but it's of their own doing. What happened could've been avoided. Oh well, if one doesn't play it by the rules, then they must pay.

Dan <><

P.S. Just noticed that WALT AM 910 has flipped from Talk to Urban Gospel under the name of Praise. Discovered it last week, while surfing the radio dial in Selma.

And...More details about this change can be found here: https://www.facebook.com/PraiseMeridian/

Last edited:
This is sad but, as this was a hot mess, not unexpected. This should serve as a good reminder of why having a good attorney is important.

Exactly right.. an attorney with a good track record with the FCC whos good at writing excuses, with enough time and money, can get you out of most stuff.. you might get fined, but you'd keep your license

As I understand it the Commission met as a group and handed down the final decision. The appeal process is probably over.

Exactly right.. an attorney with a good track record with the FCC whos good at writing excuses, with enough time and money, can get you out of most stuff.. you might get fined, but you'd keep your license

No lies detected.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.
Back
Top Bottom