• Get involved.
    We want your input!
    Apply for Membership and join the conversations about everything related to broadcasting.

After we receive your registration, a moderator will review it. After your registration is approved, you will be permitted to post.
    If you use a disposable or false email address, your registration will be rejected.

After your membership is approved, please take a minute to tell us a little bit about yourself.
    https://www.radiodiscussions.com/forums/introduce-yourself.1088/

Thanks in advance and have fun!
    RadioDiscussions Administrators

WMGH MAGIC's SATURDAY NIGHT AT THE OLDIES

Hi Lehigh Valley,
From time to time when visiting the Lehigh Valley, I use to listen to WMGH MAGIC SATURDAY NIGHT AT THE OLDIES. It was a good show.
Last time while visiting the area, I tuned on WMGH on Saturday Night. Instead of hearing the Oldies Show there was an 80's show on in it's
place. I looked on the WMGH website and it was no longer there. Perviously the WMGH website stated "It was the most popular show in the Area".
Does anybody know why the show was axed and what happened to it's host.
Thank you jimmyt

Magic's sister station is WLSH, a station that programs oldies around the clock. Magic made the right decision to drop the Saturday night show and should refocus the noon program to be 70s and 80s based only. And the hostess on the noon show...trying to be polite as possible......."less than a pro."

Seltzer, I know we've beaten this to death but I think you'll be a good person to ask the following. Where does everyone get this notion that every single program focusing on older music should be devoted to either:

a) the most overplayed tracks from the 70s
b) the loudest and/or most overplayed tracks from the 80s

I know..."that's what young people want to hear". I'll be the first to admit that my personal tastes don't necessarily reflect the majority, but I'm still a male at the very young end of the 25-54 demographic, which means I interact with and observe many, many people in the same age range. I agree that young people generally don't like songs with a slow tempo, but they definitely don't like the same old BORING 70s and 80s songs that have been overplayed to death for the last 20-40 years...and particularly in the last 10 years since 60s oldies have been phased out. Also, raucous and ear-splitting 80s songs do not appeal to the mass "young" audience, especially not among women...why do you think most of these songs never became top 10 hits?

I'm a complete outsider to radio but I'm pretty confident when I say the following: these homogenized vanilla 70s programs and ear-torturing 80s programs are DEFINITELY NOT what most listeners want to hear...young or old. The ratings and overall listening audience figures for radio are my witness. I know that many people don't want to hear the Carpenters or Bread either, but there should be a middle-ground, which is what radio stations have universally failed to deliver on.

I just have friends in the business who have been very willing to answer questions over the years.

My point of this thread is just to say it's crazy to cannibalize your own sister station by giving any airtime to 50s-60s oldies programming on WMGH. I'm not even saying what type of 70s or 80s songs they should play on this noon program. In this instance, an occasional Carpenters or Bread song probably wouldn't be the end of the world. This station plays 3 hours of polkas on Sunday morning. When you're really not concerned about any other radio competition, you can pretty much get away with anything you want. But, just as a point of interest, the Ritas in Tamaqua was playing T 102 out of Pottsville yesterday. That station is another one to debate on another day.

We've debated the whole soft music thing elsewhere so I'll let my comments stand.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.
Back
Top Bottom