• Get involved.
    We want your input!
    Apply for Membership and join the conversations about everything related to broadcasting.

After we receive your registration, a moderator will review it. After your registration is approved, you will be permitted to post.
    If you use a disposable or false email address, your registration will be rejected.

After your membership is approved, please take a minute to tell us a little bit about yourself.
    https://www.radiodiscussions.com/forums/introduce-yourself.1088/

Thanks in advance and have fun!
    RadioDiscussions Administrators

WLEZ LP 98.1 Jackson

P

Pat3

Now that WLEZ is toast, would it be possible for another station to use the frequency for a translator? Such as WJDX which is the only local without an FM. Or could it be used to relay an HD 2 FM station. I know 98.1 didn't have much power, but with a good radio it could get out 5-6 miles. On a good day you could sometimes pick it up in Brandon.

Any available frequency must wait for the next translator filing window. It is very possible 98.1 can only support the 100 watts at 30 meters, the maximum allowed for LPFM stations. Translators can be 250 watts at any height although they can be downgraded in power and height to fit the area of non-interference.

WSFZ's translator--W296DD, currently at 107.1--could move to 98.1.

Jeff -

We are planning to make the move to 98.1 FM sometime later this month - just waiting on the FCC to approve our License to Cover application so that we can formally make the move. The W296DD translator was causing all kinds of interference to (as well as receiving from) WBYP 107.1 FM, so both parties were glad to get FCC approval to the change the translator channel.

--- Casual Observer

Jeff -

We are planning to make the move to 98.1 FM sometime later this month - just waiting on the FCC to approve our License to Cover application so that we can formally make the move. The W296DD translator was causing all kinds of interference to (as well as receiving from) WBYP 107.1 FM, so both parties were glad to get FCC approval to the change the translator channel.

--- Casual Observer

I could never hear 107.1 at my home in Rankin County because of being squeezed between Z-106 and KXI. Is the AM station still full power? 3700 watts? I can barely pick it up anymore during the day. The audio seems weak and sometimes drops off. Used to be loud. It's a shame you can't get it back up to 5000 watts during the day. 103.9 is tough to get on a cheap radio at my location.

I could never hear 107.1 at my home in Rankin County because of being squeezed between Z-106 and KXI. Is the AM station still full power? 3700 watts? I can barely pick it up anymore during the day. The audio seems weak and sometimes drops off. Used to be loud. It's a shame you can't get it back up to 5000 watts during the day. 103.9 is tough to get on a cheap radio at my location.

Pat -

WSFZ is on the air at its full 3,700 Watts during the daytime, but the processing is in need of some work. There is a simple Inovonics audio processor there that either needs to be refined or replaced, but either way, it is a priority.

98.1 FM is a much cleaner frequency, so you should be able to get it much more clearly. You may be somewhat close to WRBJ 97.7 FM if you are in Rankin County though, so that may still be a limiting factor.

--- Casual Observer

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.
Back
Top Bottom