• Get involved.
    We want your input!
    Apply for Membership and join the conversations about everything related to broadcasting.

After we receive your registration, a moderator will review it. After your registration is approved, you will be permitted to post.
    If you use a disposable or false email address, your registration will be rejected.

After your membership is approved, please take a minute to tell us a little bit about yourself.
    https://www.radiodiscussions.com/forums/introduce-yourself.1088/

Thanks in advance and have fun!
    RadioDiscussions Administrators

WKXG Greenwood being converted to non-commercial status

Saw today that WKXG attempted to file a change from commercial to noncommercial status. WKXG 1540 Greenwood was silent when I moved out of the area and had been for a while.

The application was dismissed for being filed on the wrong form (shocker) but it appears that Telesouth is transferring the station to Joy Communications. I know the Joy name because they run several stations in Alabama, all Christian-formatted.

Gee, 1540 AM. I used to work there in the 1960s when it was WLEF, Rock N' Roll.

Henry McClurg said:
Gee, 1540 AM. I used to work there in the 1960s when it was WLEF, Rock N' Roll.

Buy and it and put the rock format back on. ;)

With the 2 watts authorized nighttime power you could be #1 in no time… (with anyone listening in the parking lot of the Telesouth building.)

It's a shame to see how bad the AM stations are faring in Greenwood. During my tenure in the region, I got the impression that at least two of the three AMs could make some money if done right. The FM dial is surprisingly limited there, with no local country, classic rock, AC or CHR. Or any alternative to the awful Supertalk.

960 plays blues and some rockabilly stuff but the transmitter is shot and sounds like death warmed over. 1540 never sounded right when it was on with its black gospel format. Only the Bishop Willis 1240 ever had any punch, or live announcers and commercials.

And now it's for sale, too, from what I hear.

last time Greenwood had its own country station was during the heydays of 96 Country WABG.

They do have pretty good signals with country from B100 and WONA.

Oh and those 2 watts emanating from a little black box hanging from the wall once covered Greenwood better than you would ever imagine at night.

It seems like it was an LPB transmitter. My memory is fading (ie: I'm getting to old to remember).

Michael said:
Oh and those 2 watts emanating from a little black box hanging from the wall once covered Greenwood better than you would ever imagine at night.

It seems like it was an LPB transmitter. My memory is fading (ie: I'm getting to old to remember).

Really? Dang, I would have never guessed. When I first moved to the area over four years ago, I was out late one night and drove up to the studio trying to see what kind of range 2 watts would give. I got some gospel music on the frequency, but even in the parking lot there was a lot of noise.

By the time I was to the railroad tracks (still in sight of the tower) it was completely buried.

Zach said:
Only the Bishop Willis 1240 ever had any punch, or live announcers and commercials.
And now it's for sale, too, from what I hear.

What? A Bishop Willis station that actually attempted to do something right? That's a shocker!

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.
Back
Top Bottom