• Get involved.
    We want your input!
    Apply for Membership and join the conversations about everything related to broadcasting.

After we receive your registration, a moderator will review it. After your registration is approved, you will be permitted to post.
    If you use a disposable or false email address, your registration will be rejected.

After your membership is approved, please take a minute to tell us a little bit about yourself.
    https://www.radiodiscussions.com/forums/introduce-yourself.1088/

Thanks in advance and have fun!
    RadioDiscussions Administrators

WJPS 1330 & WROZ 1400 in Evansville

And I guess I forgot to mention for all you radio fans. A drive by of the Knotty Pine Cafe on Main St in Evansville.

Every Friday all the good ol boys meet for breakfast. This has been going on at least 10 plus years.

Dave Lehman, Jim Stagg, Charlie Blake, Stan Clark, Dave Wood, and others have breakfast and talk about the good old times.

Knotty Pine Cafe every Friday Morning for Breakfast.

radiorob2.0 said:
The WROZ calls are around Harrisburg, PA. I'm too lazy to see if they call themselves "Rozie" or if Ms. O'Donnell has filed legal action.

Rosie O'Donnell doesn't have much of a case. WROZ in PA is simply known as "The Rose"; it ties in with an old rivalry between the Red Rose city of Lancaster and the White Rose city of York, something that was carried over from the English counties of Lancashire and Yorkshire and remains a hotly contested issue today (for people with nothing more important to worry about).

Here's what Wikipedia has to say:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Red_Rose_of_Lancaster

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/White_Rose_of_York

WROZ claims to sit on the fence, but judging from the red in the station logo I suspect they are partial to Lancaster's rose.

An early FM station in York called WRZE was licensed to the White Rose Broadcasting Company, its old tower is the present site of WYCR.

My late friend, Kevin "The Duckman" Webb, would entertain us for hours telling us stories about the legendary "Tiny" Hughes from WROZ. Can someone confirm the circumstances surrounding Hughes' passing? As Kevin told it, he had a hear attack while driving a remote van and crashed through the front of a store. As sick as this sounds...what a way to go if you're a broadcaster!

Kevin Webb of "Tieline"????? When, Where and How????? ???

Kevin did morning at WYNG before coming to Indy in '94 or '95. He passed away in 2002. He had some great radio stories about Evansville and Tiny Hughes at WROZ.

As Brian Jackson used to say, "When Tiny died so did Rozy". The format changed shortly after his death to the simulcast of WIKY. Somewhere in my pile of stuff are more ratings from Rozy's last country book. Despite WYNG on FM, I believe 1400 still had ratings.

Must be another Webb.... I can seem to talk with former WVJC Webb since 2002 on pricing to replace power supplies on Tielines..... I was back in the area and never remembered my friend Webb in Evansville.. I was at Cinergy Com doing marketing and doing some news stuff at Clear Channel/Evansville..... Must be another Webb... Anyone know if it was the WVJC Webb of 77 to 79?

Different Webb.

Duckman was at WYNG when I was there in 1992-1994. He played music at my wedding reception after i had moved to indy. We had it at the oakland City American legion or VFW downtown. Afterward he came to indy.
Will never forget when we were on the walkway and he shut my fingers in the door of the WYNG van - ouch.

Always a neat guy and he will be missed.

Onesimus said:
My late friend, Kevin "The Duckman" Webb, would entertain us for hours telling us stories about the legendary "Tiny" Hughes from WROZ. Can someone confirm the circumstances surrounding Hughes' passing? As Kevin told it, he had a hear attack while driving a remote van and crashed through the front of a store. As sick as this sounds...what a way to go if you're a broadcaster!

WROZ appeared in "Emmis Research "perceptual studies" "(how many oxymorons is that?) as a station people listened to daily AFTER it had changed calls 7 years previous.

The crew at WIKY and other stations had quite the comments about the crash beyond Tiny's demise. I will share them not out of glee because he was truly a talent and is missed by his family and friends. Given his nature possibly he can appreciate this. And this is not created just reported:

He already had his obituary published years previously as a stunt so the question was would they print it this time?

Would WIKY get a new van out of this. (Always the company line).
Given the size of the van was he really in the van when it happened or did he hit the van and building on foot?
How would they transport the body? How was this relative to the New Madrid fault?
Was Cheryl White killed also?

Truly a talent and truly missed. Tiny RIP.

Anyone remember the WROZ Swingin' Guys survey later to become the All-American survey? They could be found at most of the record stores, one of which was the ABC discount store where Schnuck's East is now. And here's a name most WON'T remember....The Don Rakow Nightbeat show sometime about summertime 63' or 64'.

Just ran across the group - I am the one who built the new WROZ Xmtr site on S Weinbach and moving everything from the YMCA downtown site -- 1967-1968 - Was back last year for Grandaughter's wedding and drove by the site --

They have a room with 2 transmitters. Cyril (Corporate Gigolo) later added a room for the Onan gennny.

Sold the Vangaurd to Mark Lange in the early 1990's. Then there was an MW-1 and SX-1. Among Am stations this was an okay site.

Hey, I just came across this thread. I actually worked at WROZ as the midday guy from 1973 to 1975. My airname was "Jay Michaels", and I worked under a couple of PDs back in the day, including Tiny Hughes (who is deceased), and also John Henry Scott, who I think is still an entertainer, a magician. I also worked with Mike Shawn, who recently moved back to Henderson. The station manager when I worked there was Red Walker. It was my privilege to emcee some of the big country shows that we hosted at Roberts Stadium, including those with Dolly Parton, Conway Twitty, and Loretta Lynn and many others. I moved to Florida in 1985, lived in Orlando for 17 years, and have been here in Gainesville for 15. I left WROZ in 1975 after accepting a role as announcer and weather reporter at WEHT, TV 25.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.
Back
Top Bottom