• Get involved.
    We want your input!
    Apply for Membership and join the conversations about everything related to broadcasting.

After we receive your registration, a moderator will review it. After your registration is approved, you will be permitted to post.
    If you use a disposable or false email address, your registration will be rejected.

After your membership is approved, please take a minute to tell us a little bit about yourself.
    https://www.radiodiscussions.com/forums/introduce-yourself.1088/

Thanks in advance and have fun!
    RadioDiscussions Administrators

WJIB to finally start streaming service!!!

Per the Friends and Lovers of WJIB Facebook group, I saw someone post that after all these years ... WJIB will finally be streaming online! Prayers have officially been answered. So we're no longer gonna have to rely on crappy AM radio reception (in places that can't get the FM, such as where I live). And I never expected this to happen now. I was truly afraid the station was going to go under now that Bob has passed away. But I guess this isn't the case. I can't wait.

Per the Friends and Lovers of WJIB Facebook group, I saw someone post that after all these years ... WJIB will finally be streaming online! Prayers have officially been answered. So we're no longer gonna have to rely on crappy AM radio reception (in places that can't get the FM, such as where I live). And I never expected this to happen now. I was truly afraid the station was going to go under now that Bob has passed away. But I guess this isn't the case. I can't wait.
Now watch the format change to Hip-Hop Throwbacks or New Country!

No there is something called Jib on the Web playing elevator music--featuring a guy from Pittsburgh. Not affiliated with 740 WJIB.

Eric O'Brien on FB--"Tune in to Jibontheweb.com... tonight at 1 Eastern STANDARD time. (In other words at the point when the bars close..) You'll know the host..."... I also do some features for JIBontheweb.com."

(I have yet to hear the on air announcement)

Last edited:
Per the Friends and Lovers of WJIB Facebook group, I saw someone post that after all these years ... WJIB will finally be streaming online! Prayers have officially been answered. So we're no longer gonna have to rely on crappy AM radio reception (in places that can't get the FM, such as where I live).
The AM reception isn’t crappy here in Somerville, and it’s in stereo!

I was once sent a sound clip of an AM station (WGN?) airing a Cubs game and it
sounded like AM-stereo (Harry Caray, to crowd and on air:"All right! Before we get
some runs, lemme hear ya--a one, a two, a three...<sings> Take me out to the ballgame."
When I first got a portable HD radio (walkman) I put on the HD broadcast of
The Steve Leveille Broadcast on WBZ 1030, simulcast, and noticed
his theme music sounded better...stereo?

I was once sent a sound clip of an AM station (WGN?) airing a Cubs game and it
sounded like AM-stereo (Harry Caray, to crowd and on air:"All right! Before we get
some runs, lemme hear ya--a one, a two, a three...<sings> Take me out to the ballgame."
When I first got a portable HD radio (walkman) I put on the HD broadcast of
The Steve Leveille Broadcast on WBZ 1030, simulcast, and noticed
his theme music sounded better...stereo?
Aren't almost all HD broadcasts, whether on FM or AM, in stereo? I say "almost" because I believe WBUR turned off its main channel on-air stereo signal years ago.

Friends and Lovers of WJIB Facebook group including comments from engineer/overseer Robert Perry. Group is private--you may have to join to see.

When asked if fundraising was over the top:
"Yes and no! More on that later."
Also:
"We will keep everyone posted here, and also on the air. IT will be the same feed that is currently playing on WJTO/WJIB/WBAS."

Aren't almost all HD broadcasts, whether on FM or AM, in stereo? I say "almost" because I believe WBUR turned off its main channel on-air stereo signal years ago.
WBUR’s HD is in stereo even when the main analog channel is mono most of the time, though most of their programming and/or studio settings are mixed to mono.

Except WBUR’s one music show, the great long running Latin music show Con Salsa! Saturday nights 10pm-3am. They go stereo on the main analog channel as well as their HD for that weekly show.

"" mixed to mono ""

With rare exceptions* FM broadcasting is fundamentally a mono mix, "L plus R" to be rigorously correct. For stereo, a subchannel consisting of "L minus R" is broadcast and the receiver reconstructs left and right channels.

If an entire show is mono to begin with, station coverage is increased omitting the subchannel (broadcasting in mono) .

* Long ago some AM-FM stations broadcast stereo with things like left channel on FM and right channel on AM.

Last edited:
"" mixed to mono ""

With rare exceptions* FM broadcasting is fundamentally a mono mix, "L plus R" to be rigorously correct. For stereo, a subchannel consisting of "L minus R" is broadcast and the receiver reconstructs left and right channels.

If an entire show is mono to begin with, station coverage is increased omitting the subchannel (broadcasting in mono) .

* Long ago some AM-FM stations broadcast stereo with things like left channel on FM and right channel on AM.
Don't agree.

FM stereo is not "fundamentally a mono mix". It is essentially separate left and right audio channels from which are derived a SUM (L+R) channel for both mono and stereo receivers, and a DIFFERENCE (L-R) channel which can be detected and is used by an FM stereo receiver.

When many spoken-word FMs don't require stereo transmission, they simply switch off the transmitter's 38-KHz subcarrier on which rides the (L-R) difference signal. And, yes, this does improve the received signal-to-noise ratio, since the full RF bandwidth can be used for the (L+R) signal, which is still created within the transmitter.

Streaming by next spring according to Bob Perry at Friends and Lovers of WJIB facebook group
>> We expect to be able to begin to streaming service and having the stations on the Internet by next spring. We will provide more information as well as specific instructions for how to listen not only in the coverage areas of the radio stations, but anywhere in the world.
In the meantime, we are now ending the fundraising appeal.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom