• Get involved.
    We want your input!
    Apply for Membership and join the conversations about everything related to broadcasting.

After we receive your registration, a moderator will review it. After your registration is approved, you will be permitted to post.
    If you use a disposable or false email address, your registration will be rejected.

After your membership is approved, please take a minute to tell us a little bit about yourself.
    https://www.radiodiscussions.com/forums/introduce-yourself.1088/

Thanks in advance and have fun!
    RadioDiscussions Administrators

WJFN AM/FM - "Super Country?"

Goodtimes1978

Inactive
Inactive User
??? Excuse for for being and idiot. But i am new to posting on this site. I enjoy it and have read it for a while. Lots of great info from smart Mississippi people. I was following up on the radio station in Brandon/Jackson, MS. I was in Jackson yesterday, i tuned the Sports to Christmas to "Super Country"....WJFN. I really like all the music. It's like the old "non-repeat workdays." I listened to 970 am for while, it's quality sounds 10x better than it did. I wonder what kind of proccessing they got. Then changed over to the 99.1 FM and it was getting out like wildfire. I picked that translator up from just inside brandon to about 20 minutes from Vicksburg, MS...and it's quality was top notch too. I did notice some newer music playing in the mix. Neat nitch. Something crazy, in my room it sounded like it kept going off the air between say 1p and 3p, then the music is rolling but the weird thing is, the same liner was playing every 3 songs, over and over. kind of stange annoying, how is it sounding now? I know that it says it's owned by Jackson Radio but I was told Ken Rainey from Meridian owned it. The ID said, "A Ken Rainey/Ken Michaels production?" who is Ken Michaels? But out of 10 i think they've moved from 4 with sports, 6 with christmas to sounding about at 7 now. Please advise any info, just curious.

Ken Michaels used to be at 970 AM when it was WZQK when it was simulcasting classic country with WQST in Forrest. He's been on in Meridian for a while. He was at 104.5 out of York/Livingston and the last time I was in Meridian he was on WMER 1390 playing gospel. Not sure where is is now, but that's his voice on WJFN.

The audio on 970 is better than it was, before, it had too much bass. but now it seems to be a little tinny but clear. The FM audio has been fixed also. It sounded horrible when it was sports. I just heard Porter Waggoner-Carol County Accident and Hank Williams-Hey Good Looking and some other stuff nobody plays anymore. I wish they would get some live people in the building and make some new ID's and liners or maybe some snappy jingles. It could be a fun station if done right. But it all comes down to money. The FM signal is crappy where I am but the AM is just fine. I'm surprised the FM gets out so good with only 99 watts. they must have the antenna pretty high. When the translator was in Brandon it was 250 watts but I don't think it got out that far. Most of these little flea powered FM is lucky to get out 5 or 6 miles from the tower, but this one actually gets out pretty good.

I can attest the signal getting out to around Bovina heading towards Vicksburg on a recent trip. I didn't think such a smallish signal could get that far out.

sounds suspicious to me. It seems stronger in one direction than the other. the little 99 watt FM is getting out almost as far as the main AM station. I wonder if they are still running it at 250 watts like it was when the translator was in Brandon. 99 watts shouldn't be getting that far out.

According to the last application, the transmitter is putting out 330 watts for an ERP of 99 watts. That is possible, depending on the length of the line, total line loss and antenna gain. The antenna is at 290 feet on the ETV microwave tower off Ridgewood Rd. The previous site in Brandon had it at 188 feet with an ERP of 250 watts. The extra height makes a huge difference... more so than transmitter power.

As for seeming stronger in one direction than another... the ETV microwave tower has a wide face, due to it being a heavy duty self support tower. The tower itself will block some signal in at least one direction depending on what side the 99.1 antenna is mounted.

I'm guessing that everything is running legally. I doubt ETV would let someone use their tower and building space unless it was operating according to licensed parameters.

RFB

with enough height a translator can have coverage comparable to a Class A. There are a couple around Atlanta that have quite a footprint for being just a translator. They won't have much building penetration at any distance but do great in cars.

Remember it's all about the horizon on FM.

I wrote down some songs that have been playing over the weekend in case anyone is interested that haven't heard the station

The Most Beautiful Girl-Charlie Rich
Nobody's Home-Clint Black
I'm a Ramblin Man-Waylon Jennigs
Hell or High Water-T Graham Brown
Seven Spanish Angels-Ray Charles, Willie Nelson
Lover or Something Like It-Kenny Rogers
Rose Colored Glasses-John Conlee
good old boys like Me-Don Williams
The man that turned Mama on-Tanya Tucker
First taste of Texas-Ed BRuce
I'll Share my World with you-George Jones
Good Hearted woman-Waylon Willie
Lets Fall apart Together-George Strait
My Elusive Dreams-Tammy Wynette
When I call your name-vince Gill
I'm No stranger to the rain
Witchita Lineman_Glen Campbell
Hey Good Looking-Hank Williams Sr.
Hire a Wino to Decorate my Home-David Frizzell
Rub it in-Bill Crash CRaddock
The Closer you Get-Alabama
Shes acting Single-Gary Stewart
Out of my Bones-Randy Travis
I wish I was a Teddy Bear-Barbera Fairchild
What's your mamas's Name-Tanya Tucker
Candy Kisses
500 Miles away from Home-Bobby Bare
Long Gone Lonesome Blues-Hank Sr.
6 Days on the road-Dave Dudley
From a Jack to a King
Love Lessons Tracy Byrd
Southern Rain-mel Tillis
Moanin the Blues-Hank Sr.
Tennessee Flatop Box
I'll come back as another Woman-Tanya Tucker
Workin Man Blues-merle Haggard
El Paso City-Marty Robbins
Carol County Accident-Porter Waggoner

Looks like they are playing everything from the 50s-90s. some of the Hank Sr. may go back farther than that. I like hearing some of the older songs that nobody plays anymore. Its a much better sellection than most of the clear channel type classic country formats which plays a lot of songs that are really not old enough and are not really classics either.

I had a chance to check out 970/99.1 more over the weeked. I'm so intrigued by the station. I found the other ken on facebook. It's "SuperKountry" with a "K" rather than a "C". I understand they have www.superkountry.com underconstruction. I was looking over ken michaels facebook bio, it mentions something about a tv station being built. ken rainey, sr did a music video show on channel 24 in meridian, ms years ago. I get the impression a dtv local video channel may be in the works too. and i totally agree, 99.1 gets out like wildfire...since it moved to the etv tower.

You could be thinking of WJFX channel 49 and WJMF channel 19 (ex 53). FCC says its owned by Kids Television LLC, but I believe Ken Rainey bought them from Equity after they filed bankrupcy. Both stations have been off the air for a while and had decent signals at one time. both had a revolving door of formats including Bloomberg, Univision, MTV2, Urban TV, and Retro Jams. Several months ago they both running very low power analog with a test pattern but I haven't checked lately. They have a construction permit to go to 120KW. Not sure if its digital or not. They also have an application for something on channel 6. Not sure if its a real TV station or if they are trying to get a radio station on 87.7 FM since thats the channel 6 audio channel. its for 2000 watts.

Not really sure what they are doing with these stations, they worked fine before, not sure why they were running at low power and what the channel 6 is all about. Maybe someone can shed some light. I've been curious about this for a long time.

i'm not sure about all that. michaels' facebook bio says he's the current ops mgr, pd and md for WMER 1390 am / 93.1 fm in meridian, WJFN 970 am / 99.1 fm in Brandon-Jackson and mentions kid's television. interesting note, the bio mentions that he was on "the executive team" of new corp in meridian. i know new corp is basically a technical call hub for directv. i doubt any of ken rainey's stuff will be mexican, rock, ect... and i'm baffled at the kid's network. perhaps, ken rainey and ken michaels got back together on 970 and 99.1 and are going to aquire WMER too? like i said before on the tv side, my folks use to watch, "ken rainey's country music mornin" on channel 24 in meridian years ago. the show was all country music videos, news, weather and special performances. I figure with 970 and 99.1 going from sports to christmas to "super kountry" the tv station(s) would be country music videos. both rainey and michaels are "out of the box" and pretty darn creative, i can see after my history lesson. if another radio station/tv station mix came together, going by the past... I imagine any radio channel would be a simulcast of this "super kountry" 970 am and 99.1 fm. since they simulcasted WQST and WZQK (country), from what i can gather in '05. in any event, i'd slide my tv chips on country music vidoes. here are the links: www.superkountry.com, www.facebook.com/kennyboymdn, (stream of 970/99.1 ) http://radiotime.com/station/s_22464/WJFN_970.aspx

Did some checking on the TV stations Channel 53 and 49 were owned by Equity Broadcasting. At the time of the stations going silent, channel 53 was Univision and Channel 49 was LAT-TV, later RetroJams. The station went silent and were purchased by Rainey in July 2009. 53 has been reasigned to channel after the upper channels were taken away after the FCC took those channels away from TV. If the stations still on the air they must be at low power because I can't pick them up anymore. They used to come in good at my location. The construction permit for channel 6 is from WJMF 19 (ex 53) for 2Kw. Not sure if this supposed to be a new station or just a simulcast of channel 19. both WJMF 19 and WJFX 49 have a temp authority to operate at 1.2Kw. Channel 19 has a CP for 120Kw and 2K on channel 6 while WJFX 49 is licensed at 20.5KW. Not sure if they are on the air since I can't pick them up. The low power test pattern I saw was a while back.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.
Back
Top Bottom