• Get involved.
    We want your input!
    Apply for Membership and join the conversations about everything related to broadcasting.

After we receive your registration, a moderator will review it. After your registration is approved, you will be permitted to post.
    If you use a disposable or false email address, your registration will be rejected.

After your membership is approved, please take a minute to tell us a little bit about yourself.
    https://www.radiodiscussions.com/forums/introduce-yourself.1088/

Thanks in advance and have fun!
    RadioDiscussions Administrators

WIXT now WSYR

D

DJO

WIXT Newschannel 9's web site show it to be WSYR...I'm waiting for the late news to see if it has changed over...

update: late news was still WIXT Newschannel 9...time now is 12:36am 6/13<P ID="edit"><FONT class="small">Edited by DJO on 06/13/05 04:37 AM.</FONT></P>

> As of writing, your graphics are all missing on that page.

On that page, and every other page of the entire site. Even the WIXT/WSYR changeover video was reported to be not found when I tried to view it.

Noon News on June 14...

The "NewsChannel 9" logo is the same. However, there's a new font for "WSYR Syracuse" underneath it.

Besides the old NC9 logo, the "Happening Now" flash open has new graphics including some slick 3D animation, however it's VERY quick. Seeing the NC9 logo "break up" on a key over the anchors was neat.

The CG's are all new... constantly animating backgrounds, also looks like they've found a way to include time/temp on all newscasts, rather than just the morning. New over-the-shoulder boxes too.

They still have a CG with the "headline" of each story over the video... but these also have constant animation going on. Not sure if I like that. I think it should just be that white bar and text all alone... only include the animated background when they add in a locator or identifier.

The bug which is always on the screen is the white 9 over the red square, with the ABC logo overlapping it... and the time/temp below it.

New "flash opens" for live shots and other recurring features too. Not as fancy as the main news open though. WSYR could probably "homebrew" new ones as needed in the future.

End of the A-Block... same bumper music as Longley teased his upcoming weather forecast. But, completely different music for the logo animation which ran going into the commercials. I'm wondering if the audio person accidentally cued up the old cut out of habit, or if the production department just plain forgot to assign new music cuts for these things. They even ran the old music coming back in from the break.

By the way, no anchors mentioned in that animation to wrap up the A-block. Seems like they're avoiding the headaches (and expenses) that inevitably happen when anchors come and go, forcing the station to pay the production house to recut new opens to reflect the changes.

New banners over the weathermaps match the rest of the CG's.

Nice looking full-screen boards during sports, though I wonder if people will think the text is too small. I'm not watching on my big TV in the living room right now, so maybe it's just this TV.

A little later... same music for "Out and About." Starting to wonder if they're purposely mixing old and new music for a transitional period. Or if the new music will only exist in the newly produced opens.

Overall, probably a good idea to keep the same NewsChannel 9 logo, and just change everything else around it. They have the NC9 logo plastered all over the studio, the newsroom, the station vehicles and so many other things. Changing the entire logo would have cost a lot more money.
<P ID="edit"><FONT class="small">Edited by BobRoss on 06/14/05 04:25 PM.</FONT></P>

> As of writing, your graphics are all missing on that page.

Yeah I'm not sure what's going on with that. I can log in and access the files without a problem using the FTP, but I can't get anything to load in HTTP. The server has been rebooted and everything seems to be operating normally, but it just doesn't work. I may have to change the software or just pay some company to host the files. Oh well...

> Yeah I'm not sure what's going on with that. I can log in
> and access the files without a problem using the FTP, but I
> can't get anything to load in HTTP.

I hate to ask the obvious questions, but...

1) Are the images in the proper directory on your server?
2) Does this directory have the proper permissions set so the general public can view the images?
3) Are your IMG SRC tags pointing to that same directory?
4) Did you misspell any filenames, or reverse case (ie. .jpg vs .JPG)?

I know these are basic things, but sometimes even the best of us can overlook a fine detail now and then. Besides, the site logos are all loading up just fine, so why don't the captures? I can't believe it's a software or server problem. Of course, I don't know your server's configuration, but it's just a gut feeling that it must be some obscure setting that needs to be turned on or off, or some kind of typo in the syntax of your IMG tags.

Again, I don't mean to second-guess you... just trying to help double-check some of the things that are "so simple we take 'em for granted" before you go spending money on a new server or paying someone else to host your site.

> Yeah I'm not sure what's going on with that. I can log in
> and access the files without a problem using the FTP, but I
> can't get anything to load in HTTP. The server has been
> rebooted and everything seems to be operating normally, but
> it just doesn't work. I may have to change the software or
> just pay some company to host the files. Oh well...

If you're running the site on a not-for-profit basis, you can host files on The Genesee Gateway (www.ggw.org) for $60/yr which includes the domain name. It's a 501 c 3 non profit corporation that serves 500 local non-profit and community groups already. No disk space/traffic limitations. Disclosure: I'm the unpaid volunteer president of Rochester Free-Net which runs GGW. :)

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.
Back
Top Bottom