• Get involved.
    We want your input!
    Apply for Membership and join the conversations about everything related to broadcasting.

After we receive your registration, a moderator will review it. After your registration is approved, you will be permitted to post.
    If you use a disposable or false email address, your registration will be rejected.

After your membership is approved, please take a minute to tell us a little bit about yourself.
    https://www.radiodiscussions.com/forums/introduce-yourself.1088/

Thanks in advance and have fun!
    RadioDiscussions Administrators

WIQR gone

According to this list our own WZTN AM 1000 was one of the first to be deleted back in 1981.

I know that AM 1000 operated up at least to 1990, and likely a few years after that, so it's not quite the first, but seems to be the "first of many" that happened after the 90's when AM really started declining in popularity.

I think the earliest one I know of off the top of my head on my website is WAAO in Andalusia which I believe turned in the license in 1989 after the FM got established.

I'm 99% certain that other AMs have come and gone prior to the switch to electronic files at the FCC in 1981, as I've come across fragments of information while researching station histories for my site. In a lot of cases, allocations were re-used and the FCC's microfilm copies of their old card file data only shows the newest allocation's information, so a lot has been lost except for what's in Broadcasting Yearbooks.

A good example of this is "WIXI in Dixie 1480" in Irondale… A company put it on in the very early 60's and it was gone by about 1962. Then a different company revived the allocation with the same calls, transmitter site, etc. But technically it was a new station.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.
Back
Top Bottom