• Get involved.
    We want your input!
    Apply for Membership and join the conversations about everything related to broadcasting.

After we receive your registration, a moderator will review it. After your registration is approved, you will be permitted to post.
    If you use a disposable or false email address, your registration will be rejected.

After your membership is approved, please take a minute to tell us a little bit about yourself.
    https://www.radiodiscussions.com/forums/introduce-yourself.1088/

Thanks in advance and have fun!
    RadioDiscussions Administrators

Windows 10

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'll try to copy one next time I go there. I don't go to unfamiliar sites at home because right now any site I haven't gone to will be very, very slow and not worth it.
Gmail didn't send me an email this time and I didn't get one at the other address. I'll have to remember to find one as a sample.

My experience (with my personal email and with RadioDiscussions email) is that you are probably receiving SPAM from senders who attempt to make their email appear to be from Gmail.

Like I said, I'll try to remember to find one and post the text, although that's actually off topic.

This is not.

These are probably specific to Microsoft Edge rather than Windows 10, but Microsoft Edge was developed for Windows 10 so it probably counts. I like my error messages more dignified. Google Chrome also tries to have a sense of humor and even sound hip.

Error message 1:

The server stumbled
We all have bad days
Refresh the page

The error code is 0x80072EE2, in case you need it.

Error message 2:

This page was just here a second ago

Try refreshing. You might need to look through the site to find this page again..

Try this
•Refresh

Error message 3:

Hmm, we can't reach this page.

Try this
•Make sure you’ve got the right URL: http://radiodiscussions.com
•Refresh the page
•Search for what you want

I don't intend to be insulting, sarcastic, or mean with this post, but it's starting to hurt to read all these problems you've been having, vchimp.

This is a computer that I see advertised in AARP Magazine and AARP Bulletin every issue. It's designed to be uncomplicated, and easy for anyone who isn't computer-savvy to use.

http://www.mywowcomputer.com/

Maybe you should have gotten one of these instead.

I don't intend to be insulting, sarcastic, or mean with this post, but it's starting to hurt to read all these problems you've been having, vchimp.

This is a computer that I see advertised in AARP Magazine and AARP Bulletin every issue. It's designed to be uncomplicated, and easy for anyone who isn't computer-savvy to use.

http://www.mywowcomputer.com/

Maybe you should have gotten one of these instead.

Over $1000 for a PC with a Celeron and 2 Gb RAM running Linux?!?!?!? The only word for this is "ripoff." This thing is worth about $500 max.

Over $1000 for a PC with a Celeron and 2 Gb RAM running Linux?!?!?!? The only word for this is "ripoff." This thing is worth about $500 max.

What price do you put on simplicity of operation?

What price do you put on simplicity of operation?

Not a $500 markup!

Anyone with a good knowledge of the various Linux GUIs (there are five major types, and dozens of minor ones that could still work) can put something like this together in a couple of days. Such a setup may already be freely available. I'll have to check when I get some time, if only to figure out how to get the touchscreen on my laptop to work in Linux Mint 17.3. :D

It also doesn't allow anyone to install software, apparently not even from a repository. Bad move.

The owner apparently isn't allowed to administer the machine. A $9.95/mo "VIP" account is required, and can be used by a "tech buddy." Not necessarily bad for Grandma, and it's OK as an option, but all of this can be done for free if properly set up with a separate "root" (master) password. Besides, who owns the machine, Grandma or WOW? How Microsoftian can you get?

Besides, there's nothing there that can't be done with an Android smartphone or tablet for a whole lot less money. The only advantages to the PC are a large screen, and a real keyboard/mouse. I give this "venture" a year tops before going under.

I give this "venture" a year tops before going under.

You already lost. I've seen these ads for a couple of years now. No idea how successful they might have sold and I have never seen one in person.

Having been in the IT biz long before it was called Information Technology I have come to the opinion that there are just certain people who can't and shouldn't be trying to use computers and their related mobile devices. One is my late-80's father in law who has been trying ever since I began dating his daughter. He has gone through multi-thousand dollars searching for a PC that he can understand - no dice. Likewise, we bought him a flip phone back when they were the state of the art but all he could ever do was answer it. Couldn't figure out how to dial or hang up and forget about texting. We then went to a "foolproof" AARP type senior phone with approximately the same results. Now to a smartphone and forget it. All he can do is dial out and receive calls but every other function on that device is wasted. And he still keeps his list of phone numbers on a piece of paper in his shirt pocket.

Of course, it may not just be a phone or computer issue. We inherited his mini van after he quit driving. It has dents and scrapes on every corner. I hope his rocking chair has a seat belt.

I went to the HP forum that I found with a Google search and so far have gotten no responses to my specific question, but there is a similar question that received an answer that might work for me. I'll try it. I hope it works, because this machine has come on all by itself in the middle of the night twice. Who knows how much electricity that's wasting?

Edit: Here are the responses from the related question.

Hi,

What is the Operating System of your machine ? For Windows 8 and 8.1, please try: hold down Win key then pess I. This will give you an option to turn the machine off. You can also setup icons to turn the machine off and restart.

Hi,

The Win key is the key which has Windows symbol on it, next to the left Alt key, same row with the space bar.

Off topic, here's the text of the one email from Google I was able to find. It used my real name, so I substituted the name people know me by here, and a fake gmail address.

New sign-in from Internet Explorer on Windows

Inbox
x Google <[email protected]>

5/11/15
to me
New sign-in from Internet Explorer on Windows
Hi Vchimp,Your Google Account [email protected] was just used to sign in from Internet Explorer on Windows.

Vchimpanzee
[email protected]

Windows Monday, May 11, 2015 9:53 AM (Eastern Daylight Time) Charlotte, NC, USA* Internet Explorer
Don't recognize this activity?

Review your recently used devices now.

Why are we sending this? We take security very seriously and we want to keep you in the loop on important actions in your account.

We were unable to determine whether you have used this browser or device with your account before. This can happen when you sign in for the first time on a new computer, phone or browser, when you use your browser's incognito or private browsing mode or clear your cookies, or when somebody else is accessing your account.

Sincerely yours,

The Google Accounts team

*The location is approximate and determined by the IP address it was coming from.

This email can't receive replies. To give us feedback on this alert, click here.

For more information, visit the Google Accounts Help Center.You received this mandatory email service announcement to update
you about important changes to your Google product or account.

© 2015 Google Inc., 1600 Amphitheatre Parkway, Mountain View, CA 94043, USA

Last edited:

You already lost. I've seen these ads for a couple of years now. No idea how successful they might have sold and I have never seen one in person.

It's actually a rebranded Telikin computer. Same interface, but Telikin offers three models -- a desktop with an 18" screen, another with a 22" screen, and a laptop. They're cheaper than the WOW! branded unit, but still overpriced. You can buy them either direct from Telikin or from Amazon.

The user interface is nice, but the hardware is deficient and unreliable, per several reviews I read. Besides, setting up Wifi under any OS requires basic knowledge of networking -- something the average 12-year-old can probably do, and he/she would have to help Grandma get it set up. :D

http://www.telikin.com/

When I was still trying to solve the problems with my old computer, the man at the Microsoft web site kept asking me whether my Java and Adobe Flash were up to date. Using his links, I know I have 18,0,0,228 for Flash and Java doesn't work with Microsoft Edge. Which I guess means I don't need it.

As for the HP forums, I didn't get a response to my question about shutting down the computer, so I did a search and found something that related to older versions of Windows. It didn't actually work for me, but it did lead me to the right place and I saw the word "Power". So I clicked and saw I could choose what happens when I push the on/off button. I selected "shut down" and it not only did that, but it didn't leave a green light on like the old computer did. Or even a light on the modem corresponding to my computer. Still, when I turned it on this morning, it came on quickly and even saved where I was instead of giving me my email when I clicked on the e. I got some message about not being able to communicate with something related to Windows, but I'll solve that if it's a problem needing to be solved.

Later I got a response on the HP forum but it was a list of questions, none of which were helpful.

Set your computer to shut down when you press the power button.

1. Click on the little Window in the bottom left corner of your screen.
2. Click "Settings".
3. Click "System".
4. Click "Power And Sleep"
5. Click "Additional Power Settings".
6. Click "Choose What The Power Button Does".
7. Under "When I Press The Power Button" .... Select "Shutdown".

This thread is closed.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom