• Get involved.
    We want your input!
    Apply for Membership and join the conversations about everything related to broadcasting.

After we receive your registration, a moderator will review it. After your registration is approved, you will be permitted to post.
    If you use a disposable or false email address, your registration will be rejected.

After your membership is approved, please take a minute to tell us a little bit about yourself.
    https://www.radiodiscussions.com/forums/introduce-yourself.1088/

Thanks in advance and have fun!
    RadioDiscussions Administrators

WINC has a killer signal!

The format will reportedly move to 104.9 or 105.5, but it will be gone from its heritage signal. Rumor is Centennial is in the process of securing a buyer for the rest of its stations.

The fact that a monster signal that puts a listenable signal into 3-4 Arbitron rated markets is only going for $1.75 million is wild. That’s not just the license but the transmitter site too. Wow.

I’ll miss WINC-FM. They were quite slick sounding in the early 00’s and about as “hot” as a hot AC station could get. Earlier than that, as a child living on the Navy base in Dahlgren, VA I was amazed that a station an hour and a half drive away had a better signal there than the local top 40, (back then) in WGRQ which was at best a 10-15 minute drive to the transmitter.

The big question I have is will this mean anything for Centennial’s Fredericksburg stations (WBQB and WFVA-AM). B-101.5 cleans up in the Fredericksburg ratings, but WFVA usually is third fiddle over talk stations in DC. Combined with being a graveyard channel AM with no translator, I would imagine 90% of the value in 1230 AM is in the transmitter site located on prime real estate along the Rappahannock River.

The fact that a monster signal that puts a listenable signal into 3-4 Arbitron rated markets is only going for $1.75 million is wild. That’s not just the license but the transmitter site too. Wow

Another case of too many radio stations. It seemed like a fine idea 35 years ago. Not so good now. I recall driving around that area surprised at the number of stations given the rural area. A whole lotta cattle and horses. Sure it's a rimshot of DC, but no one there knows about it. If you're not right in people's faces, they don't know you're there.

The fact that a monster signal that puts a listenable signal into 3-4 Arbitron rated markets is only going for $1.75 million is wild. That’s not just the license but the transmitter site too. Wow.

But it only fully covers its small home market; it only hits pieces of three other markets and does not show in them.

The big question I have is will this mean anything for Centennial’s Fredericksburg stations (WBQB and WFVA-AM). B-101.5 cleans up in the Fredericksburg ratings, but WFVA usually is third fiddle over talk stations in DC. Combined with being a graveyard channel AM with no translator, I would imagine 90% of the value in 1230 AM is in the transmitter site located on prime real estate along the Rappahannock River.

As it is being said that the owner is selling the other Fredericksburg stations it has, they may have decided to get out of radio.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.
Back
Top Bottom