• Get involved.
    We want your input!
    Apply for Membership and join the conversations about everything related to broadcasting.

After we receive your registration, a moderator will review it. After your registration is approved, you will be permitted to post.
    If you use a disposable or false email address, your registration will be rejected.

After your membership is approved, please take a minute to tell us a little bit about yourself.
    https://www.radiodiscussions.com/forums/introduce-yourself.1088/

Thanks in advance and have fun!
    RadioDiscussions Administrators

will 87.7 here in miami be dance as well?

1059LUVR

has anybody heard anything on what nbc6 plans to do with their 87.7?

1059LUVR said:
has anybody heard anything on what nbc6 plans to do with their 87.7?

They're going to turn it off on June 12th. (they're already operating in digital on channel 31)

Unlike Pulse 87 in New York and the Chicago and LA stations it was slated to take over, NBC6 holds a full-power license. They are required by law to cease analog operations on the 12th.

Someone else may be taking over the frequency though. The low-power station currently operating on channel 56 has a permit to move to channel 6 after NBC6 goes digital-only. As a low-power licensee this station is not bound by the June 12th mandatory analog shutdown.

Are NCE-FM stations still bound by the Rules on power limitations with respect to Channel 6, ever with a low power TV station?

w9wi said:
The low-power station currently operating on channel 56 has a permit to move to channel 6 after NBC6 goes digital-only. As a low-power licensee this station is not bound by the June 12th mandatory analog shutdown.

Thanks for clarifying something I had suspected. Indeed an LPTV wants to move to 6 once WTVJ shuts down.

WEYS-LP, currently on Channel 56, ran "Almavision" Spanish Christian programming last I was able to watch it from my old place in South Broward...I can't get it now in my new location in South Dade.

Per the FCC website, WTVJ will, though, run a "Nightlight", which I think means they will stay on for about a month after 6/12 with a bare-bones message instructing viewers that they have moved to full digital.

strangelove said:
Are NCE-FM stations still bound by the Rules on power limitations with respect to Channel 6, ever with a low power TV station?

According to http://www.v-soft.com/news/2009/newsletter03262009.htm#intmapping, yes.

Indeed, the FCC has indicated they expect NCE-FM applications to comply with TV-6 protection rules when filed, even if the NCE-FM station agrees not to begin transmission until after the full-power TV-6 station goes off the air. (indeed, it is unlikely any new or modified NCE-FM operation could begin operation until after most full-power TV-6 stations are off!)

Per the FCC website, WTVJ will, though, run a "Nightlight", which I think means they will stay on for about a month after 6/12 with a bare-bones message instructing viewers that they have moved to full digital.

Ah. I didn't look at the nightlight list before making that posting. You're correct: that means WTVJ will remain on the air in analog until July 12th with information about the DTV transition. (and potentially emergency information)

Just noticed something else on www.recnet.com, which may not bode well for a possible "Pulse" move to Miami.

Turns out Almavision outright owns WEYS-LP, and is not leasing airtime on said LPTV.

No, that does not bode well for a "Pulse 87" operation in Miami.

Note http://www.radio877.com/ (a LPTV-6 station in Victorville, California running Almavision Radio) and http://almavision.com/radio.html (which shows Almavision indeed runs a radio service & the logo matches that of radio877.com)

This kinda moves the subject away from what alot of us were hoping for (ie Dance on 87.7), but "Almavision Radio" aired (or still airs??) on WKIZ/1500 in Key West--a strange operation ever since the Swoffords no longer have a part of it...I had been able to pick them up on occasion, and they run liners that say "87.7 FM" on 1500 itself so assume it's a straight simulcast.

I know also that Almavision used to buy hours on I think 1700/WJCC for local Spanish Christian talk shows.

Other than 93.1 doing dance again, the owners of Pulse 87 which specialize in dance formatted stations, should consider if they are trying to get on the air in Miami, try to strike a deal with CC to LMA one of their low rated FM frequencies for this. For the right price, CC would probaly consider, since they are cash strapped. 103.5 would possibly be a candidate to flip next.

radiosanchez said:
This kinda moves the subject away from what a lot of us were hoping for...
...and we, the royal plural, are still hoping for a stronger WKCP and perhaps a WDNA strong enough to @ least hold there own against constant incursions from the evil WQCS ;D

WKCP is already topped out at 100kw, it's probably interference from pirates between Broward and South Dade that makes reception somewhat spotty up here. Maybe they'd be permitted to move to a more central location once 6 switches off, unless WEYS stops them. I'd like to see WDNA get a boost, I always thought they had good programming.

strangelove said:
WKCP is already topped out at 100kw.
WDNA is already nulled to protect 88.3.

WRTO's center of radiation is 120m higher than WKCP's on the same stick. Those two stations sharing an antenna near the legal limit of 600m would make both of their signals nearly equal to all the stations by County Line Road.

I do not remember whom WDNA protects, but WGNK is considerably newer.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.
Back
Top Bottom