• Get involved.
    We want your input!
    Apply for Membership and join the conversations about everything related to broadcasting.

After we receive your registration, a moderator will review it. After your registration is approved, you will be permitted to post.
    If you use a disposable or false email address, your registration will be rejected.

After your membership is approved, please take a minute to tell us a little bit about yourself.
    https://www.radiodiscussions.com/forums/introduce-yourself.1088/

Thanks in advance and have fun!
    RadioDiscussions Administrators

Wichita Jamz

Looks like this started a few months ago, it's basically a localized version of the online station Grown Folk Jamz started by Don Sherman former owner of KSJM-107.9 (Now Country KWLS) who owns both online stations. They also simulcast Wichita Jamz on low power tv station KSMI Ch. 51-7, I guess that somewhat fills the void of an Urban station in Wichita. You can check them out at www.wichitajamz.com and of course the national version at www.grownfolkjamz.com They both play the same music.

Makes me wish there was an Urban in Wichita again. MOST days I could hear KSJM down here in Coffeyville, KS. Miss it. Streaming it right now, doesn't sound absolutely terrible.

I REALLY wish Wichita had an Urban competitor to Power and Channel. Unfortunately, the demographics just really aren't there. However, I have seen enough African-American adults around the city to know that even The Touch could go to an AM station.

For years, many years the urban listener had no station period. The ONLY urban programming originated on KEYN AM 900 and KEYN 103.7 on Sunday afternoon. The long time talent was a good friend of mine Carl Jackson, Carl was known as "C.J. The D.J" and did a couple of hours weekly hosting an all request show, very old school. KEYN aired the show as part of their "Public Commitment" weekly programming content percentages.
Part of the 8/4/4/4 as in 8 percent news, 4 percent public affairs, 4 percent religion, and 4 percent "other".

Wichita was one of the most "White Bread" markets around. Even Top-40 managed to avoid most urban hits. To get a R&B song played it had to break the top-40 on Billboard (no Radio and Records at the time). As such you would hear Dionne Warwick, O'Jays, Aretha Franklin, etc but only the crossover hits.

It was odd the way that worked out as the demographics were there, but the advertiser support was not. Mostly due to the "times" I suppose. Wichita missed a lot of great music in those days....

Jay, I remember listening to “CJ the DJ” and Tevis Mike on Sunday afternoons on Soul Sunday back in the day growing up in Wichita. The was also some limited R&B programming on Wichita State’s KMUW in the Seventies that had DJ’s like Ron “Superthin” Wiley, Bird, and later Rochel Wright and others. It would be nice in Don Sherman’s group could work out a lease deal on a terrestrial signal there in Wichita.

science said:
Jay, I remember listening to “CJ the DJ” and Tevis Mike on Sunday afternoons on Soul Sunday back in the day growing up in Wichita. The was also some limited R&B programming on Wichita State’s KMUW in the Seventies that had DJ’s like Ron “Superthin” Wiley, Bird, and later Rochel Wright and others. It would be nice in Don Sherman’s group could work out a lease deal on a terrestrial signal there in Wichita.

Buying time ala "brokered time" can be very expensive and will eat up a lot of money real fast. The "original" stated purpose of LPFM was to provide "community access" to groups, but that was quickly corrupted by various "sat-alator broadcasters" like Air One and others. :mad:

I have nothing against religious broadcasters but seriously, how many translators, overlapping translators, full power non-com, and commercial outlets are required to spread the "word"? ::)

As the AM band slowly dies, there might be a chance for local individuals to program live and local. But the drawback is the complete lack of AM listener-ship these days...
:-\

I'd love to own a couple of 5k/1k AM outlets in Wichita. I believe there is money still to be made even today... But I've always been a dreamer ;D

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.
Back
Top Bottom