• Get involved.
    We want your input!
    Apply for Membership and join the conversations about everything related to broadcasting.

After we receive your registration, a moderator will review it. After your registration is approved, you will be permitted to post.
    If you use a disposable or false email address, your registration will be rejected.

After your membership is approved, please take a minute to tell us a little bit about yourself.
    https://www.radiodiscussions.com/forums/introduce-yourself.1088/

Thanks in advance and have fun!
    RadioDiscussions Administrators

Why not John DiTullio?

NewsSleuth

Inactive
Inactive User
In my opinion, John DiTullio is one of the best sports broadcasters in the Rochester market. It continues to baffle me why no other station has been willing to bring him aboard, besides his part-time R-News gig. He has a great voice and delivery, plus his work with Infinity/Buffalo Bills Radio Network could bring some interesting synergy. There's some lousy B-team sports guys out there, so it makes me wonder why DiTullio has been on the TV bench so to speak.

> In my opinion, John DiTullio is one of the best sports
> broadcasters in the Rochester market. It continues to
> baffle me why no other station has been willing to bring him
> aboard, besides his part-time R-News gig. He has a great
> voice and delivery, plus his work with Infinity/Buffalo
> Bills Radio Network could bring some interesting synergy.
> There's some lousy B-team sports guys out there, so it makes
> me wonder why DiTullio has been on the TV bench so to speak.
>
The answer to your question is simple. Money; that’s one reason DiTullio isn't being hired full-time at any of the Rochester TV stations. Another reason is stability. Channels 8, 10 and 13, along with R-News already have established veteran sports anchors and those stations owners are not about to shell out the bucks to pay DiTullio to come on board. FOX 31 isn’t about to rehire John because that operation combines the news and sports staffs from Channel 8 under an agreement reached between Nexstar and Sinclair this past summer.

I have seen and heard John’s work and you’re right, he knows sports. While there are some people who might find his voice a bit grating on the nerves, personally I think the guy’s knowledge makes up for that. Besides where is it written that someone has to sound like Ted Baxter in order to be on the air? I'd prefer hearing or seeing someone who knows what they are talking about versus some Ken or Barbie anchor/reporter that looks good but knows squat.

At the rate things are going in the broadcasting industry these days, I highly doubt you will see any TV station in Rochester hire John DiTullio full-time in the near future. At least he still has his “gig” with Wease along with his part-time job on R-News. DiTullio’s best chance of landing a full-time job would be to look at other markets.

<P ID="signature">______________
"I won't be wronged, I won't be insulted and I won't be laid a hand on.
I don't do these things to other people and I expect the same from them".</P>

> In my opinion, John DiTullio is one of the best sports
> broadcasters in the Rochester market. It continues to
> baffle me why no other station has been willing to bring him
> aboard, besides his part-time R-News gig. He has a great
> voice and delivery, plus his work with Infinity/Buffalo
> Bills Radio Network could bring some interesting synergy.
> There's some lousy B-team sports guys out there, so it makes
> me wonder why DiTullio has been on the TV bench so to speak.
>
I agree and if I were running a full service commercial TV outlet in the market I'd approach him. But it's possible his featured role on Brother Wease's morning show, combined with what he does for RNews and the Bills network, keeps him busy enough and pays him well enough that an offer from one of the other stations might not be worth his while.

Good points...I would just have liked to see 10 sign him up when Gabe retired. Mark Gruba is good, but I think that DiTullio is special.

Also, anyone remember the old FOX Rochester sports anchor Tony Martone? Anyone know what happened to him? Definitely not in the area now.

>>
> Also, anyone remember the old FOX Rochester sports anchor
> Tony Martone? Anyone know what happened to him? Definitely
> not in the area now.
>
Actually Martone is in the area - just not in the biz.

> >>
> > Also, anyone remember the old FOX Rochester sports anchor
> > Tony Martone? Anyone know what happened to him?
> Definitely
> > not in the area now.
> >
> Actually Martone is in the area - just not in the biz.
>
Interesting...what field is he working in? Always interesting to find out what ex-personalities do. I know that Donna Dedee went to work for a non-for-profit, and that Amit Chitre went into advertising.

Where Are They Now?

> Always interesting to find out what ex-personalities do. I know
> that Donna Dedee went to work for a non-for-profit, and that
> Amit Chitre went into advertising.
>
Your information is outdated when it comes to Donna Dedee. She left the United Way several months ago and is now President of Bishop Kearney High School.

Here is where some other former TV and radio people landed after getting out of broadcasting.

Laura Saxby, former Channel 10 news anchor, is head of P R for Paychex.

Jim Redmond, formally of the D&C and Channel 13, has worked for Excellus for a number of years.

Allan Harris, formally of Channel 13, WHAM and WROC-AM, is currently unemployed.

Yours truly is working for Monroe County.

Re: Where Are They Now?

> Cool...anyone got any other "Where are they Now's?" What
> about Tony Martone?
>

Brian "Jeff" Simek, former WHAM morning man went to flack for Xerox for a number of years before taking a huge gig with Merk (the drug maker..if I have the spelling right)

Shelly Tripp formerly of WHAM and R News, (and WXXI I think when she was a cub reporter) flacks for Xerox

Former Ch. 8 anchor Liz Vega works for Xerox in Marketing

Amit Chitre of Ch. 8 works for the Heart Association

Aaron Baker (formner shooter and AE for 8 and Fox rochester) Flacks for Red Cross

Kelly Badger , formerly fo WHAM and Ch. 31 is with Geva, I think

Ex Ch. 10 Reporter David Biggey went out west to flack for one fo the big telecoms,..Quest I think..

Former Ch. 13 reporter ,,,uh,..christ, I can;t rememeber,..David something in the early 90's went to become a teacher...

Former 13 reporter Charla Stevens (Kucko) Flacks for University of Rochester...

Former WHAM/ Ch. 13, Ch. 8 newsguy Tor Constantiono was with Frontiuer for quite some time as a flack,..not sure what he's up to now though,..

AND GOD I HAVEN'T EVEN STarted to mention all the newspaper types who've crossed to "the dark side"

> > Cool...anyone got any other "Where are they Now's?"
>
> > Former Ch. 13 reporter ,,,uh,..christ, I can;t
> rememeber,..David something in the early 90's went to become
> a teacher...
I think that would be David Burns? Very well liked and respected durring his years at Ch. 13
>
>

> What the heck does "flack" mean?
>

"Flack" is a term used to describe a spokesperson for either a company or government agency.

During World War II flack was another name for anti-aircraft fire.

> > > Cool...anyone got any other "Where are they Now's?"
> >
> > > Former Ch. 13 reporter ,,,uh,..christ, I can;t
> > rememeber,..David something in the early 90's went to
> become
> > a teacher...
> I think that would be David Burns? Very well liked and
> respected durring his years at Ch. 13
> >
> >
>
THAT'S IT!!! David Burns! (Thanks)

>
> At the rate things are going in the broadcasting industry
> these days, I highly doubt you will see any TV station in
> Rochester hire John DiTullio full-time in the near future.
> At least he still has his “gig” with Wease along with his
> part-time job on R-News. DiTullio’s best chance of landing a
> full-time job would be to look at other markets.
>

Here's a Buffalo perspective.

John DiTullio seems to be fairly well-regarded and much liked by the posters in this thread. But based on what he did and how he sounded on the Buffalo Bills pre-postgame show a few seasons ago, I disagree with the majority of posters here.

Sports guys seem to get a wide berth as to their styles, act and voice quality. DiTullio's voice sounds like a mix of gravel and crushed glass. Distinctive as his voice may be, many found him hard to listen to. I heard similar reviews from others in and outside the broadcast community here. This may be one of the reasons he wasn't renewed to host the shows on the Bills radio broadcasts.

Granted, it could also be that he chose not to continue in that role because of other commitments in Rochester. But having a role in the Buffalo Bills brodcasts is a plum gig and it's hard to understand anybody walking away from such a role.

DiTullio may serve as a better anchor and sidekick sports guy for Wease than a pre or postgame analyst-sportstalk host. In the end, it seems he's well-liked and highly regarded in his home town.

Lest we forget...

Former Channel 10 Morning and Noon anchor Maggie Brooks is our
County Executive.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.
Back
Top Bottom