• Get involved.
    We want your input!
    Apply for Membership and join the conversations about everything related to broadcasting.

After we receive your registration, a moderator will review it. After your registration is approved, you will be permitted to post.
    If you use a disposable or false email address, your registration will be rejected.

After your membership is approved, please take a minute to tell us a little bit about yourself.
    https://www.radiodiscussions.com/forums/introduce-yourself.1088/

Thanks in advance and have fun!
    RadioDiscussions Administrators

Who will do mornings at WKYS after Russ Parr leaves

WKYS is the flagship station for Russ Parr in the mornings, but the question is for how long? Radio One's Syndicated One division and AURN recently merged, and Rickey Smiley has replaced Parr on R1 properties in Richmond, Detroit, Cleveland and Dallas. Outside Radio One this is the case in cities like Huntsville (WEUP) and Shreveport (KBTT) where Parr may have lost steam. Even if Radio One takes Parr off WKYS it wouldn't be any point in putting Smiley on since WERQ up the road has him (WPHI in Philly dropped Smiley last month). They could always go back local if possible. Thoughts?

This is an Interesting question Russ Parr is aging I believe he has to be in his mid to late 50`s. That is actually not old but probably to old to be playing "Bands will make her Dance" he is soon going into the Urban AC position. They could name one of his co-host as Host but IMO I do not see them going local because syndication is much cheaper than local and Radio One has gotten away from local morning drive radio. CBS Radio is one of the few who still have local morning drive shows. They will have to groom someone but good morning talent is very hard to find in 2013 radio on the young end 18-34 and 18-49 Urban demo. This is something that Radio One will have to face with Russ Parr in the very soon furture.

radioville said:
Who is winning the ratings in morning drive between PGC and KYS?

In the beauty contest 6+ they go back in fourth. Lately its been KYS on top. OCt - DEC 3.6, 4.2, and 4.3. PGC did 3.9, 3.4, 3.1 in that same period. I don't have the all important 18 - 34 and 25- 54 as I am still a refugee and peeking into the tent from the outside. As an outside observer, I believe that KYS will continue to grow if they come up with a good morning show replacement for Parr when he finally steps down. The fact that the company has Smiley on 92Q may give Jay Stevens the opportunity to air a local morning show. I don't know who they will tap, but if they do a better job of selecting talent for a DC audience than PGC has done post Donnie Simpson, they will have a huge leg up. The new PGC morning show, in my opinion has not found traction. As goes mornings, so goes your station.

anatharadiorefugee said:
radioville said:

In the beauty contest 6+ they go back in fourth. Lately its been KYS on top. OCt - DEC 3.6, 4.2, and 4.3. PGC did 3.9, 3.4, 3.1 in that same period. I don't have the all important 18 - 34 and 25- 54 as I am still a refugee and peeking into the tent from the outside. As an outside observer, I believe that KYS will continue to grow if they come up with a good morning show replacement for Parr when he finally steps down. The fact that the company has Smiley on 92Q may give Jay Stevens the opportunity to air a local morning show. I don't know who they will tap, but if they do a better job of selecting talent for a DC audience than PGC has done post Donnie Simpson, they will have a huge leg up. The new PGC morning show, in my opinion has not found traction. As goes mornings, so goes your station.
You are correct with your statement but CBS DC as a cluster outside of TARGET DEMO has had issues with PPM ratings not just WPGC. IMO it has become clear that WPGC`s ratings are what they are for CBS NY as long as it bills well they are good with it. WKYS is in front with ratings and might stay in front but WPGC is in front in billing by a wide margin. WPGC`s billing and ratings numbers are not adding up.

I've heard Radio One has put ALL their efforts into the Rickey Smiley Morning Show as opposed to Russ Parr. Eventually Rickey will most likely be on KYS when Russ retires or chooses to hang it up.

Smiley airs on WERQ in Baltimore Radio One would not air him in DC and B-more at the same time they are different markets but there is way too much market over lap.

donta1974 said:
anatharadiorefugee said:
radioville said:

You are correct with your statement but CBS DC as a cluster outside of TARGET DEMO has had issues with PPM ratings not just WPGC. IMO it has become clear that WPGC`s ratings are what they are for CBS NY as long as it bills well they are good with it. WKYS is in front with ratings and might stay in front but WPGC is in front in billing by a wide margin. WPGC`s billing and ratings numbers are not adding up.

You know what I say about WPGC's programming strategy...I can sum up in a simple statement. It's time for them start reintroducing actual contemporary R&B adds into their playlist on a timely basis.

25-34 year old black females are what is the common denominator between WKYS and WPGC, and they are flocking to and staying with KYS. KYS plays actual R&B & neo-soul artists throughout the day (not just after 10PM like PGC). WPGC has the personalities and station events need to keep them listening, but its music programming is OFF to them. Just read the comments of numerous black female-dominated blogs/websites when it references WPGC as proof. WPGC's well-thought out addition of Tamar Braxton's song "Love & War" in December (simultaneously as WVEE) is a good start, but more needed. WPGC could be the modern-day "The Beat LA"-type of CHRurban that spins hip-hop, R&B, soul, and pop music. It would be more competitive with both Hot 99.5 & KYS along with maintaining its strong billing.

Jay Stevens will likely move EZ Street up from afternoons and possibly build a morning show around him. I doubt Stevens will recruit another talent after EZ Street came back from the West Coast to work again for his old boss especially if he didn't leave the option to promotion to the morning drive. WKYS has became the Radio One urban flagship so you know they will do anything in the long term to keep it live and local and one step ahead of WPGC.

kilamanjero said:
donta1974 said:
anatharadiorefugee said:
radioville said:

You know what I say about WPGC's programming strategy...I can sum up in a simple statement. It's time for them start reintroducing actual contemporary R&B adds into their playlist on a timely basis.

25-34 year old black females are what is the common denominator between WKYS and WPGC, and they are flocking to and staying with KYS. KYS plays actual R&B & neo-soul artists throughout the day (not just after 10PM like PGC). WPGC has the personalities and station events need to keep them listening, but its music programming is OFF to them. Just read the comments of numerous black female-dominated blogs/websites when it references WPGC as proof. WPGC's well-thought out addition of Tamar Braxton's song "Love & War" in December (simultaneously as WVEE) is a good start, but more needed. WPGC could be the modern-day "The Beat LA"-type of CHRurban that spins hip-hop, R&B, soul, and pop music. It would be more competitive with both Hot 99.5 & KYS along with maintaining its strong billing.

Jay Stevens will likely move EZ Street up from afternoons and possibly build a morning show around him. I doubt Stevens will recruit another talent after EZ Street came back from the West Coast to work again for his old boss especially if he didn't leave the option to promotion to the morning drive. WKYS has became the Radio One urban flagship so you know they will do anything in the long term to keep it live and local and one step ahead of WPGC.
You should send this comment to [email protected]

donta1974 said:
kilamanjero said:
donta1974 said:
anatharadiorefugee said:
radioville said:

You should send this comment to [email protected]

Hmmmm.... Reggie Rouse has always been quite receptive of a number of my recommendations for V-103, so that is not a bad idea at all.

Just cause Ricky Smiley is on 92Q..why wouldn't Radio One put him on WKYS in DC once Russ decides to hang it up? Its a totally different and bigger market. Of course they would and they will! Just like Kane is on Hot 99.5 in DC and Z104.3 in Baltimore pulling numbers on both stations.

iloveradio93173 said:
Just cause Ricky Smiley is on 92Q..why wouldn't Radio One put him on WKYS in DC once Russ decides to hang it up? Its a totally different and bigger market. Of course they would and they will! Just like Kane is on Hot 99.5 in DC and Z104.3 in Baltimore pulling numbers on both stations.
I am not sure how GREAT Kane`s numbers are in Baltimore last time I saw them they were 15th or something 6plus demo but ok I understand your point. You are correct and while DC and Baltimore are different markets they are very close to each other(40 miles apart)unlike a ton of other markets its a unique situation the theory is that they kind of cancel each other out. The only other major market that I can think of like it is San Francisco/Oakland. 92Q and WKYS already sound simular to each other as is do they really need to have the same AM show? 995 and Z104 sound simular as well so we will see. I do not care about WERQ but they had a local AM show and cut it to save money so really its on Radio One as a company. IMO this somes up some of the issues with radio no one does anything any different than anyone else you can go to any market and basically hear the same thing and some of the same air talent over and over. Consalidation and budget cuts have hurt radio no matter format. NO CREATIVITY but thats another issue.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.
Back
Top Bottom