• Get involved.
    We want your input!
    Apply for Membership and join the conversations about everything related to broadcasting.

After we receive your registration, a moderator will review it. After your registration is approved, you will be permitted to post.
    If you use a disposable or false email address, your registration will be rejected.

After your membership is approved, please take a minute to tell us a little bit about yourself.
    https://www.radiodiscussions.com/forums/introduce-yourself.1088/

Thanks in advance and have fun!
    RadioDiscussions Administrators

While we're on the subject of towers...

I'm not from Houston, so I'm sort of ignorant as to where each station has their towers located. But, driving down 288,south of the city, I noticed a cluster of towers which looked to be just off the Beltway 8, west of 288. What station(s) do those towers belong to? Gracias in advance.

> I'm not from Houston, so I'm sort of ignorant as to where
> each station has their towers located. But, driving down
> 288,south of the city, I noticed a cluster of towers which
> looked to be just off the Beltway 8, west of 288. What
> station(s) do those towers belong to? Gracias in advance.

Radio stations on those towers include: KUHF 88.7, KKBQ 92.9, KKRW 93.7, KTBZ 94.5, KHJZ 95.7, KHMX 96.5, KBXX 97.9, KODA 99.1, KILT 100.3, KLOL 101.1, KMJQ 102.1, KRBE 104.1, and KHCB 105.7.

If memory serves me correctly, KUHF, KKRW, and KMJQ share an antenna on one of the towers, KHCB has thier own antenna on another one of the towers, and the balance of the stations mentioned above share a master antenna on a third tower. Obviously, not all of those towers out there house FM stations.
<P ID="signature">______________
How Can You Be In Two Places At Once When You're Not Anywhere At All?</P>

> I'm not from Houston, so I'm sort of ignorant as to where
> each station has their towers located. But, driving down
> 288,south of the city, I noticed a cluster of towers which
> looked to be just off the Beltway 8, west of 288. What
> station(s) do those towers belong to? Gracias in advance.
>
That is the Sr Road/Missouri City antenna farm...TV and FMs are there...
one tower is the Sr Road tower with 9 FMs on it....If these are the TALL towers with strobes on them, that's the cluster. MOST of the TV stations are there (what isnt there may be moving there if they can) and a good number of the FMs are there...

WHAT DOES ONE TOWER COST?

> >Anyone know what a 400ft tower would cost to build and buy

> > I'm not from Houston, so I'm sort of ignorant as to where
> > each station has their towers located. But, driving down
> > 288,south of the city, I noticed a cluster of towers which
>
> > looked to be just off the Beltway 8, west of 288. What
> > station(s) do those towers belong to? Gracias in advance.
>
> Radio stations on those towers include: KUHF 88.7, KKBQ
> 92.9, KKRW 93.7, KTBZ 94.5, KHJZ 95.7, KHMX 96.5, KBXX 97.9,
> KODA 99.1, KILT 100.3, KLOL 101.1, KMJQ 102.1, KRBE 104.1,
> and KHCB 105.7.
>
> If memory serves me correctly, KUHF, KKRW, and KMJQ share an
> antenna on one of the towers,

No, KKRW is on their own antenna (directional) while KUHF is on an antenna with KMJQ (non directional).

KHCB has thier own antenna on
> another one of the towers, and the balance of the stations

KHCB is on TV2's tower....

> mentioned above share a master antenna on a third tower.

92.9, 94.5, 95.7, 96.5, 97.9, 99.1, 100.3, 101.1 and 104.1 are on the Sr Road master antenna.

> Obviously, not all of those towers out there house FM
> stations.

Re: WHAT DOES ONE TOWER COST?

> > >Anyone know what a 400ft tower would cost to build and
> buy

400ft? Depends on where you buy and build.....You can BUY some for about $100k or less (depending on the deal)..some of the old ATT towers that American Tower bought have been sold again by ATC for less than $20K for 400ft ones...(they were not in an area to make money off cell companies)..
a 400ft guyed tower NEW will cost you for the steel (about $50-75K or so) and then there is the LAND you need for it (most towers lease the land from farmers, etc)

A 2000ft tower costs ~2 Million to build....with an elevator, the price goes up to 3-4Mill or more!

> > > I'm not from Houston, so I'm sort of ignorant as to
> where
> > > each station has their towers located. But, driving
> down
> > > 288,south of the city, I noticed a cluster of towers
> which
> >
> > > looked to be just off the Beltway 8, west of 288. What
> > > station(s) do those towers belong to? Gracias in
> advance.
> >
> > Radio stations on those towers include: KUHF 88.7, KKBQ
> > 92.9, KKRW 93.7, KTBZ 94.5, KHJZ 95.7, KHMX 96.5, KBXX
> 97.9,
> > KODA 99.1, KILT 100.3, KLOL 101.1, KMJQ 102.1, KRBE 104.1,
>
> > and KHCB 105.7.
> >
> > If memory serves me correctly, KUHF, KKRW, and KMJQ share
> an
> > antenna on one of the towers,
>
> No, KKRW is on their own antenna (directional) while KUHF is
> on an antenna with KMJQ (non directional).
>
> KHCB has thier own antenna on
> > another one of the towers, and the balance of the stations
>
>
> KHCB is on TV2's tower....
>
> > mentioned above share a master antenna on a third tower.
>
> 92.9, 94.5, 95.7, 96.5, 97.9, 99.1, 100.3, 101.1 and 104.1
> are on the Sr Road master antenna.
>
> > Obviously, not all of those towers out there house FM
> > stations.

It will come as quite a shock to my good friend Alex Schneider (Chief Engineer for KUHF) that his station is not sharing an antenna with both KKRW and KMJQ.
<P ID="signature">______________
How Can You Be In Two Places At Once When You're Not Anywhere At All?</P>

> It will come as quite a shock to my good friend Alex
> Schneider (Chief Engineer for KUHF) that his station is not
> sharing an antenna with both KKRW and KMJQ.

If that is the case, I'll have to ask Alex at the next SBE mtg how they get directional on 93.7 but not on KUHF and KMJQ?????? I have never seen that before. I was told 93.7 was on their own antenna because of the directional requirement...the pattern is extremely specific because of the adj and co channels they have to protect

CW, you posted on a previous thread that KUHT's antenna was sidemounted on KTRK's tower (one of the pair which I call "Twin Towers" which is to the east of the candelabra cluster).

By sidemounted I assume it's a panel antenna that wraps around the circumference of the tower? I keep thinking that a "pole-type" antenna installed on one side of the tower will have it's signal affected by all that steel behind it! (and thus affecting the reception of everyone in that general direction.)

Please forgive the ramblings of this non-tech.

Candelabra Cluster... say that fast 5 times!!!!

>
> If that is the case, I'll have to ask Alex at the next SBE
> mtg how they get directional on 93.7 but not on KUHF and
> KMJQ?????? I have never seen that before. I was told 93.7
> was on their own antenna because of the directional
> requirement...the pattern is extremely specific because of
> the adj and co channels they have to protect
> <P ID="signature">______________
I listen to what I like.
Ratings be Damned.</P>

> CW, you posted on a previous thread that KUHT's antenna was
> sidemounted on KTRK's tower (one of the pair which I call
> "Twin Towers" which is to the east of the candelabra
> cluster).
>
> By sidemounted I assume it's a panel antenna that wraps
> around the circumference of the tower? I keep thinking that
> a "pole-type" antenna installed on one side of the tower
> will have it's signal affected by all that steel behind it!
> (and thus affecting the reception of everyone in that
> general direction.)
>
> Please forgive the ramblings of this non-tech.
>
> Candelabra Cluster... say that fast 5 times!!!!
>
CW, while you are answering houstonradiogeeks's question, maybe you can clear up something for me. My understanding is that a side mounted antenna will, when positioned properly (or improperly) have directional characteristics to the pattern. It is kind of a grey area with the FCC about side mounting antenna and stations like KIOL 103.7 that want to put more than 100kW ERP towards Houston will side mount the main antenna a get a boost in power towards Houston in this case a null of sorts in another direction. The side mounted antennas on the the 103.7 tower are suppose to be for back-up, but I am wondering if Cumulus is actually using the side mounted antennas for the main to get more of a signal into into the Houston area? Any truth to this or urban myth?
>
> >
> > If that is the case, I'll have to ask Alex at the next SBE
> > mtg how they get directional on 93.7 but not on KUHF and
> > KMJQ?????? I have never seen that before. I was told 93.7
> > was on their own antenna because of the directional
> > the adj and co channels they have to protect
> >
>
KKRW's pattern is one of the strangest I've ever seen for FM, but I do a lot of traveling and quite honestly don't see where KKRW has any deep nulls in any direction that the pattern indicates. KKRW is solid until Brenham when they start to fight it out with KLBJ-FM, which would be consistant with two 100kW ND stations at that distance. Heading out I-10 towards San Antonio, I can't say that KKRW fades out much quicker than any other Houston station. Heading north on I-45 the signal seems to hang in as well as any other station and no sign of KLBJ-FM in either cases. Beaumont seems to have a weaker signal, but not to a great degree that you can not listen to KKRW to Beaumont. Bay City and Galveston two other frequent destinations, I can not detect any difference in signal strength, or interference from KLBJ-FM. I doubt that KKRW is really as directional as the maps and plots would make one believe.

To even obtain the pattern that KKRW is suppose to have would be a work of art. I have done all these drives too many times for it just to have been a fluke or enhancement in the direction I was traveling. CW?

Mike O

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.
Back
Top Bottom