• Get involved.
    We want your input!
    Apply for Membership and join the conversations about everything related to broadcasting.

After we receive your registration, a moderator will review it. After your registration is approved, you will be permitted to post.
    If you use a disposable or false email address, your registration will be rejected.

After your membership is approved, please take a minute to tell us a little bit about yourself.
    https://www.radiodiscussions.com/forums/introduce-yourself.1088/

Thanks in advance and have fun!
    RadioDiscussions Administrators

WHHN "Radio Maria" hits the airwaves this week.

K

kirkiefan

WHHN 88.1 FM in Hollidaysburg is scheduled to take to the airwaves sometime this week. Will air Catholic programming as a repeater of KJMJ Alexandria,LA.

http://www.radiomaria.us

edarmsttrong said:
Yet another waste of a local frequency...

Absolutely. It sounds funny to me to say this, but I'm a Catholic, so feel qualified to critique (hell, one-fourth of us are Catholics, it ain't no thang). I know that the fundamentalist Christians have been bombarding the airwaves for decades, and a couple of wealthy ones (EMF & AFA) have been gobbling up FM frequencies coast-to-coast recently, but, uh... what's the point? Aren't the Catholics about 20 years late? In today's world, can't the obsessively/compulsively religious among Catholics get their fill with EWTN and web-streamed audio programs?

I certainly understand that many fundamentalists have make a rock-star living off of religious radio ("Put yo' hands on the RAYDIO!") and maybe that's the deal here. Using God to get rich. Who knows?

But it seems to me that radio is already super-serving Religious Crazies. Sad to see another FM channel wasted in this fashion--especially by my own Catholic bretheran!

Granted, Catholic radio has been behind for years. However Father Patrick Peyton may have been perhaps (indirectly) the first Catholic broadcaster. He founded and produced Family Theater for Mutual in the 1940s. Mother Angelica was the one however who got the ball rollling with EWTN thirty years ago....and starting up a radio operation of the TV netwok in the 1990s. But it was Emanuele Ferrario, an Italian who started up Radio Maria in the 1980s after being inspired by Pope John Paul II's sermon to create a "new evangelization."

Yes Catholic radio has had a late start...but better late then never...so before you become too judgemental ...and yourself being Catholic...why don't you consider volunteering your talents,experience,professionalism and expertise to help make Catholic Radio grow...Radio Maria has a need for such persons as yourself.

Give it a listen now online before WHHN hits the airwaves on Saturday.

http://www.radiomaria.us

Radio Maria unlike other Christian stations has a much different flavor(if you can call it that.) Father Duane Stenzel, a Franciscan preist is one of the most compassionate ministers around...and unlike others thumping their King James Versions predicting ultimate doom and gloom and pointing their fingers at others for being un-Christian, Father Duane takes a different approach,yet remaining true to Scripture and the Catholic Cathechism.

How do you volunteer for a station that is just a sat feed? Still a waste of another local frequency...

Radio Maria needs volunteers to operate remote broadcast equipment to air live call-in talk programs such as "Don't Give Up" with Ann and Anna from Philadelphia.

Granted RM is a sat feed like K-Love but some stations also have a studio to send live programs to the originating station in Alexandria. WHJM Anna,OH(between Lima and Sidney) has a studio in nearby Minster(which is predominatntly Catholic) that uses the POTS/Codec remote boxes. WULM Springfield (outside of Dayton)is moving their studio to a Catholic parish in Springfield where more local live programs are in the works. WHJM/WULM also has a live studio at the Marian LIbrary at the University of Dayton...where several programs are also sent online to Alexandria's KJMJ.

RM also has live remotes planned at Maria Stein(southwest of Lima),Carey (southeast of Toledo) and Indian Lake...all western Ohio communties that have a vibrant Catholic heritage.

I am in hopes that WHHN may be able to work out some sort of joint venture with local low power WMES and send some of their local programs of interest to Alexandria as well.

Aside from much needed fundraising and promotion,RM desperately needs volunteers with a radio background and donations for studio equipment.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.
Back
Top Bottom