• Get involved.
    We want your input!
    Apply for Membership and join the conversations about everything related to broadcasting.

After we receive your registration, a moderator will review it. After your registration is approved, you will be permitted to post.
    If you use a disposable or false email address, your registration will be rejected.

After your membership is approved, please take a minute to tell us a little bit about yourself.
    https://www.radiodiscussions.com/forums/introduce-yourself.1088/

Thanks in advance and have fun!
    RadioDiscussions Administrators

Whats up with Sporting News

stljohn

Inactive
Inactive User
For the second Sunday I Sporting News was blocked and a continuous message said it was due to PGA coverage. What the heck is that about?

That's ridiculous. One of the reasons I picked XM over Sirius was Sporting News and Fox Sports.

> For the second Sunday I Sporting News was blocked and a
> continuous message said it was due to PGA coverage. What the
> heck is that about?
>
> That's ridiculous. One of the reasons I picked XM over
> Sirius was Sporting News and Fox Sports.

if that is true. i am cancelling.

smashed
>
<P ID="signature">______________
deep tracks xm 40 for those who arent single minded</P>

If Sirius has exclusive rights to the PGA and Sporting News Radio is covering it, then XM can't. That's Sporting News' fault for not having some sort of back up programming

When ESPN radio is covering a game that Sirius has exclusive coverage over or a baseball game you get ESPN game night instead of said game. Its a very temporary thing.

> If Sirius has exclusive rights to the PGA and Sporting News
> Radio is covering it, then XM can't. That's Sporting News'
> fault for not having some sort of back up programming
>
> When ESPN radio is covering a game that Sirius has exclusive
> coverage over or a baseball game you get ESPN game night
> instead of said game. Its a very temporary thing.
>
xm has exclusive rights to the pga. they have a pga channel on the weekend. they dont have enough bandwith to have both channels on. so they cut sporting news when its on..and maybe foxsports also. a week ago fox sports wasnt on my display...

xm carries everything on espn. including basketball. which sirius has exclusive rights to. the finals were on xm..and sirius..

and it may be temporary. but its every sunday. football sunday. wtf is the use of having a service that takes off a major sports channel for golf?? golf isnt even a sport!!

xm is cancelled. 2002-2005.liguid metal rip..its over xm..<P ID="signature">______________
deep tracks xm 40 for those who arent single minded</P>

> xm is cancelled. 2002-2005.liguid metal rip..its over xm..

Awesome does that mean you won't be posting any more?

Seriously, ESPN baseball games are not on ESPN Radio they're on the MLB channel... I never really had any trouble with any sporting events or channels being shut off. How do you know its XM and not the provider of the service.

> > xm is cancelled. 2002-2005.liguid metal rip..its over xm..
>
>
> Awesome does that mean you won't be posting any more?
>
> Seriously, ESPN baseball games are not on ESPN Radio they're
> on the MLB channel... I never really had any trouble with
> any sporting events or channels being shut off. How do you
> know its XM and not the provider of the service.
>

actually espn also has games on the weekend. even though the feeds are on the other channels. they told me so. they dont have enough bandwith so they have to shut off something to add anything else.
and i am back on with xm. they gave me an offer i couldnt refuse!!!!!!! :)

> actually espn also has games on the weekend. even though the
> feeds are on the other channels.

But weeknights its always that Gamenight show right? Thats nice that they told you. I would have just as soon blamed TSN for not providing programming. Nice to see you're still with us.

> > If Sirius has exclusive rights to the PGA and Sporting
> News
> > Radio is covering it, then XM can't. That's Sporting News'
>
> > fault for not having some sort of back up programming
> >
> > When ESPN radio is covering a game that Sirius has
> exclusive
> > coverage over or a baseball game you get ESPN game night
> > instead of said game. Its a very temporary thing.
> >
> xm has exclusive rights to the pga. they have a pga channel
> on the weekend. they dont have enough bandwith to have both
> channels on. so they cut sporting news when its on..and
> maybe foxsports also. a week ago fox sports wasnt on my
> display...
>
>
> xm carries everything on espn. including basketball. which
> sirius has exclusive rights to. the finals were on xm..and
> sirius..
>
> and it may be temporary. but its every sunday. football
> sunday. wtf is the use of having a service that takes off a
> major sports channel for golf?? golf isnt even a sport!!
>
> xm is cancelled. 2002-2005.liguid metal rip..its over xm..
>

I dunno. That would be a weak explanation if true. Its not like Sporting News talks PGA all afternoon, they report it as a news. Following that logic any channel that reported PGA events would get blacked out.

Don't matter. I've decided to hop over to eh-ehhh-ehn when Stern starts.

Despite some thoughts from below, I would wonder about the low bandwidth 'issue' as The PGA Channel runs an hourly show w/Peter Kessler, M-F starting at 8am and repeats hourly for several hours after it. If you like golf, it is really a good program as Peter has a slew of golf writers/teachers/players and has the programming flexibiltiy to spend more than 5 minutes racing through standard questions.

Additionally, SNN would need to be 'off' Thurs-Sun from 12-6 when 146 is doing live coverage from events, again, something I have on in my office or car if I want to follow the Tour. They do a nice job of updating the Nationwide, LPGA and Sr. Tour several times an hour. It is an excellent service for the PGA and a good use of the medium. Still sorting through some remote bugs, but overall a great addition for golf fans.

If it really is an issue, you all are going to hate this week when they go with extended coverage for the timezone challenged British Open; coverage starts at 7am.

> For the second Sunday I Sporting News was blocked and a
> continuous message said it was due to PGA coverage. What the
> heck is that about?
>
> That's ridiculous. One of the reasons I picked XM over
> Sirius was Sporting News and Fox Sports.
>

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.
Back
Top Bottom