• Get involved.
    We want your input!
    Apply for Membership and join the conversations about everything related to broadcasting.

After we receive your registration, a moderator will review it. After your registration is approved, you will be permitted to post.
    If you use a disposable or false email address, your registration will be rejected.

After your membership is approved, please take a minute to tell us a little bit about yourself.
    https://www.radiodiscussions.com/forums/introduce-yourself.1088/

Thanks in advance and have fun!
    RadioDiscussions Administrators

What's everybody using to do FM DX with?

Sony ICF-SW7600GR
Sony STR DE997 11.2dBf (2.0µV)
Pioneer SX-750 10.8 dBf (1.9µV)
Icom IC-R75 Good for checking rising MUF on 6M/50 MHz Amateur Band
Winegard FM Turnstile Antenna @ 30'
Winegard 18 Element FM-VHF-UHF Yagi Antenna with Rotor @ 25'
Discone Antenna 16 Elements
Rabbit Ears
T style Dipole Antenna
10dB (Archer), 26dB (Winegard DA-1127) Preamplifiers

Since I'm so close to the Chicago Loop transmitters, the Yagi Antenna is good for the Non-Comm part of the FM band, or if a local is off the air for testing, power failure, etc.
I get really good results for E-skip just using the rabbit ears or the Dipole Antenna.

Out in Indiana, where my setup is, I have:

-Sony XDR-F1HD (Extremely selective, above average sensitivity) Don't underestimate this tuner!
-Sansui 350A Tuner/Amplifier (Extremely sensitive, not so selective)
-Archer VU-190 VHF/UHF/FM on a 10' Mast on the roof, with Rotor.  (Even at 30 miles out from downtown Chicago, usually can get HD lock when the Antenna's pointed the wrong way...)
-Blonder Tongue BIDA-86A-43 Distribution Amplifier (Since I have the antenna feed split all over the place)

Runs into a Sony MZ-M200 Portable MD recorder for archival/transfer to PC.

80+ miles is standard on FM, but with the poor RF environment (so many Chicago stations and a litter of WFRN translators), it's hard to get much done with my setup anymore, but when it's open it's wide open with the setup.

It's not completely tuned, by any means, for FM DX. As a general use setup for HDTV and FM, however, it gets the job done. 

clone said:
Out in Indiana, where my setup is, I have:

-Sony XDR-F1HD (Extremely selective, above average sensitivity) Don't underestimate this tuner!
-Sansui 350A Tuner/Amplifier (Extremely sensitive, not so selective)
-Archer VU-190 VHF/UHF/FM on a 10' Mast on the roof, with Rotor. (Even at 30 miles out from downtown Chicago, usually can get HD lock when the Antenna's pointed the wrong way...)
-Blonder Tongue BIDA-86A-43 Distribution Amplifier (Since I have the antenna feed split all over the place)

Runs into a Sony MZ-M200 Portable MD recorder for archival/transfer to PC.

80+ miles is standard on FM, but with the poor RF environment (so many Chicago stations and a litter of WFRN translators), it's hard to get much done with my setup anymore, but when it's open it's wide open with the setup.

It's not completely tuned, by any means, for FM DX. As a general use setup for HDTV and FM, however, it gets the job done.

Nice setup.

jlehmann said:
I'm using the Sangean HDT-1X, which has an excellent RDS display, which picks up the information very fast when signals are strong (like during e skip). The antenna I use is an APS-13 (13 element beam).

Amazing tuner. When 92.9 wasn't jammed by a questionable translator in Dallas, I could reliably receive five different stations depending on the direction my antenna was pointed, including stations in Tulsa, Springhill LA, and Houston. Tulsa was 300 miles away, and lighted up the RDS display with few glitches.

OKCRadioGuy said:
I use the Sony XDR-F1HD. It's the best stock production radio ever built. It's one of the best 99 dollars I've ever spent. Our locals around here totally suck. I listen to stuff 60 plus miles down the road all of the time instead.

More than 200 miles with a dipole in Houston. At least three Dallas signals reliable. I can't wait to hook it up to a decent yagi!

I have a Radiosophy HD100 recevier. For the RF port I have an amp attached to it. I have one C.Crane FM reflective, one cheap rabbit ears with an gain dial, one Terk AM Loop passive and amp antennas.

willcail said:
I have a Radiosophy HD100 recevier. For the RF port I have an amp attached to it. I have one C.Crane FM reflective, one cheap rabbit ears with an gain dial, one Terk AM Loop passive and amp antennas.
A Terk AM loop for FM DX??

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.
Back
Top Bottom