• Get involved.
    We want your input!
    Apply for Membership and join the conversations about everything related to broadcasting.

After we receive your registration, a moderator will review it. After your registration is approved, you will be permitted to post.
    If you use a disposable or false email address, your registration will be rejected.

After your membership is approved, please take a minute to tell us a little bit about yourself.
    https://www.radiodiscussions.com/forums/introduce-yourself.1088/

Thanks in advance and have fun!
    RadioDiscussions Administrators

What should 99x and Q100 do next ?

M

Mp3Midtown

It looks like the 99x and Q100 may be in trouble as far as overall ratings.
Out of the 30 Atlanta area rating stations 99x and Q100 are pretty low OVERALL.
The actual ratings for Toucher and The Bert Show are higher than that. But the bigwigs look at overall numbers. Will there be a new format ? Show changes ?
The Bert Show were worried about their ratings on this morning's show.
I would have thought the Bert Show on the cover of Atlanta Magazine would have helped their ratings.
What are both stations doing wrong ? Why do you think more people are listening to the other stations ?

Can't really comment on Q100. I don't listen to them. Not my cup of tea musically, and The Bert Show strikes me as Steve, and Vicki's spoiled children. I know a lot of people who seem to like the show though.

As for Toucher, and 99X....Like bad mexican food "all things must( and should!) pass"! The original Morning X was a force to be reckoned with, but ended up sounding like a bunch of old Buckhead hipsters sitting around being cynical, ragging on each other, and making a lot of inside jokes. Toucher and Co. have done nothing to change that, and have added to that the "poor man's" Howard Stern spiel(sp?). Jimmy Baron should "git while the gitting is good"! Come to think of it, maybe Baron should take over the morning spot at WGST. Sorry Dino, Jeffco, whoever you are.....

There are a lot of Jack, Dave, Woody, Goat type formats out there that Susquehanna could try at 99X. I say take a chance, and try a combination of them all, and try to come up with something fresh, and original with maybe a dash of personality. Call it the "Life without Rules" format. Oh wait, my bad! That's being misused somewhere already....

<P ID="signature">______________
" All my life I've always had my *#@$ together...Problem is I've never been able to pick it up" (Burt Reynolds "The Longest yard")</P>

>Why do you think more people are listening to the other stations ?

If 99X does have bad ratings, why not actually try playing some decent new music and see what happens? Load up the playlist with Block Party, VHS or Beta, Louis XIV, The Bravery, Kasbian, Kaiser Chiefs, Interpol, Libertines etc. I mean, good god, why does all of their new rock have to sound so stitled and boring?

I always thought alternative music was best when it was fun. Hell, I'm 40 freakin' years old and wish they'd play new bands with a sense of humor and spunk. But I live in a pipe dream. Plus, I'm sure my age is about 2.4 times too high for their research. heh heh.

I can't say for sure it's what they should do, but... I miss 99X's old format. Back when "Smooth Criminal", "Crawling", and "Schism" were power currents, they sounded friggin' awesome and their ratings reflected it. I'd like to hear them replace two or three classic golds per hour with one recurrent and one or two much more recent golds, while still keeping the classic gold category about as diverse as it is now... kinda like a widespread "Jack" or "Dave" type library, only with an alternative focus.

As far as Q100 goes, I have to guess it's a signal issue.

> It looks like the 99x and Q100 may be in trouble as far as
> overall ratings.
> Out of the 30 Atlanta area rating stations 99x and Q100 are
> pretty low OVERALL.
> The actual ratings for Toucher and The Bert Show are higher
> than that. But the bigwigs look at overall numbers. Will
> there be a new format ? Show changes ?
> The Bert Show were worried about their ratings on this
> morning's show.
> I would have thought the Bert Show on the cover of Atlanta
> Magazine would have helped their ratings.
> What are both stations doing wrong ? Why do you think
> more people are listening to the other stations ?
>

I have a month's subscription to Mediabase 24/7 and indeed, 99X is playing very few songs from the 1999-2002 era. They are playing far more golds from 1992-96 than 97-2002. The split is still about 50/50 between currents/recurrents and gold but the skew is much more gold oriented during the day.

> I can't say for sure it's what they should do, but... I miss
> 99X's old format. Back when "Smooth Criminal", "Crawling",
> and "Schism" were power currents, they sounded friggin'
> awesome and their ratings reflected it. I'd like to hear
> them replace two or three classic golds per hour with one
> recurrent and one or two much more recent golds, while still
> keeping the classic gold category about as diverse as it is
> now... kinda like a widespread "Jack" or "Dave" type
> library, only with an alternative focus.
>
> As far as Q100 goes, I have to guess it's a signal issue.
>
> > It looks like the 99x and Q100 may be in trouble as far as
>
> > overall ratings.
> > Out of the 30 Atlanta area rating stations 99x and Q100
> are
> > pretty low OVERALL.
> > The actual ratings for Toucher and The Bert Show are
> higher
> > than that. But the bigwigs look at overall numbers. Will
>
> > there be a new format ? Show changes ?
> > The Bert Show were worried about their ratings on this
> > morning's show.
> > I would have thought the Bert Show on the cover of Atlanta
>
> > Magazine would have helped their ratings.
> > What are both stations doing wrong ? Why do you think
> > more people are listening to the other stations ?
> >
>

Honestly

It may be more of a cultural problem. When 99X ruled the roost, the music that comprised their format was the predominant music genre in the nation. Gradually, the shift to hip-hop as the genre-du-jour in the culture left 99X's old format twisting in the wind for a while. While other stations across the country experimented with "Jack" and "Dave" and AAA formats to capture (or recapture) that audience, 99X stumbled along trying to stay hip. That trick never works.

The culture and music have passed 99X by. Maybe they can catch up but I doubt it. Dave FM, Sirrius, and cd's get my time now. Sorry Leslie. It was fun while it lasted.

What they should do is...

Sell the stations, get out of radio and try something more profitable...like investing in energy companies. (Arthur Andersen)

Seriously, 99X became big because they were at the forefront of a music genre. Q100 has never quite "found" their genre. The most cutting edge and successful staions are the ones that CREATE popularity, not imitate it.

It's time for them to find out what's about to be hot and take a chance. That's how 99X made it big and if they really try, I'll bet they can do it again.

99x, take note...

ok- here goes...

the reason those bands atlantamoi listed don't pull strong ratings is this: most fans of the indie/brit pop/ college radio genre don't listen to radio. ever. great music doesn't always equal great radio. 99x is already playing bloc party, interpol, kaiser chiefs, the bravery and combining it with the roots of the smiths, stone roses, the cure, etc. but it's only sunk their ratings even lower. while i'd like to hear more music like the jealous sound, against me!, deltron 3000, dillinger esacpe plan, etc. it's not gonna boost ratings.

however, one of my favorite bands and an atlanta hometown fav, mastodon is leading the way of the new goldmine in music: hardcore and metal.

i'm not talking about hardcore the way people think of when they listen to old stuff like minor threat and not metal like dragon force or crappy metallica - the new wave of hard music is selling clothes, concert tickets, and ads like crazy.

it's not stupid music either - most everything is built off of experimental jazz scales and using vocals as an instrument. fuse tv caught on to this and they're now a more followed music channel than any of mtv's spinoffs (mtv 2, mtvurban, etc) as far as the cash cows of teens with nothing to spend their money on other than cds & band shirts.

hell, there's even a whole subgenre in hardcore known as fashioncore and if those kids are willing to spend $200 bucks on a pair of jeans (which they totally are... ick) then that's what you should be pushing to your advertisers: hey, these kids are willing to burn money, so we'll play their music and you buy our commercial airtime.

just a thought. jay harren needs to get out of the mjq brit pop night and head over to lenny's, swayze's, tight pockets, and also check out the online communities on myspace.com try out mastodon's page first and look at the bands their fans are listening to.

but then again, what do i know. i'm just a 24 year old out there every weekend honing my marketing skills by staying on top of what's new.

> >Why do you think more people are listening to the other
> stations ?
>
> If 99X does have bad ratings, why not actually try playing
> some decent new music and see what happens? Load up the
> playlist with Block Party, VHS or Beta, Louis XIV, The
> Bravery, Kasbian, Kaiser Chiefs, Interpol, Libertines etc.
> I mean, good god, why does all of their new rock have to
> sound so stitled and boring?
>
> I always thought alternative music was best when it was fun.
> Hell, I'm 40 freakin' years old and wish they'd play new
> bands with a sense of humor and spunk. But I live in a pipe
> dream. Plus, I'm sure my age is about 2.4 times too high
> for their research. heh heh.
>

Re: What they should do is...

Yeah I think it may be time for 99x to hang up most of it's talent . Jesus - they're friggin in their 40's. Not that there's anything wrong with that but are kids 18-30 really want to hear Jimmy's 45 minute rant about his golf trip.
I say send Jimmy and Toucher to GST. Keep Leslie in programming and bring in new fresh talent. Get the station to be cutting edge again with new music.
The station is not fresh when most of its talent has been around since 1993.

Q100 still need to increase its signal...stop with the repetitiveness of airplay. Widen the playlist to include 30% recurrents from 1995 on. Become a Top 40 pop and dance station. Either drop the rock hits or the rap hits. The All the hits format does not seem to work in this market. Top 40 music now is just too diverse. I love the Bert Show and I think it would bust open if heard on 98.5 or Lite -FM. That show seems more geared for that audience over there.

> Sell the stations, get out of radio and try something more
> profitable...like investing in energy companies. (Arthur
> Andersen)
>
> Seriously, 99X became big because they were at the forefront
> of a music genre. Q100 has never quite "found" their genre.
> The most cutting edge and successful staions are the ones
> that CREATE popularity, not imitate it.
>
> It's time for them to find out what's about to be hot and
> take a chance. That's how 99X made it big and if they
> really try, I'll bet they can do it again.
>

> overall ratings.
> pretty low OVERALL.
> morning's show.
>

I liked 99x when it switch from Power99, they were so "new" and music is/was great but as the show got older the talent acted more like they were in Neverland and Jimmy was Peter Pan, Toucher is no different. I love the music but can only handle the "gang" for so long before I'd find a cd.

I did enjoy q100 for a time but I don't like all the games and constest, and the "call in listner" is the same voice with different issues as the show dictates, I have difficulty receiving the singal in Gwinnett.

Cd's start to look good when put up against junk. Just can't get traffic or news off a cd.

Re: 99x, take note...

> ok- here goes...
>
> the reason those bands atlantamoi listed don't pull strong
> ratings is this: most fans of the indie/brit pop/ college
> radio genre don't listen to radio. ever. great music
> doesn't always equal great radio. 99x is already playing
> bloc party, interpol, kaiser chiefs, the bravery and

Okay, I'll admit that I don't listen to 99X long enough to hear some of those bands I mentioned. What I don't understand is why these teens wouldn't be salivating over something like Bloc Party. I guess my ideas are different... thought the kiddies would really be into some fun alternative music instead of way too serious (and boring) grunge-type stuff. When I was in high school there was plenty of new wave all over the place and it was a lot of fun. FUN FUN FUN. Guess I'm in a different mindset. Of course, I'm not just into goofiness (rocking out to the latest Killing Joke as I type this).

Re: What they should do is...

> Yeah I think it may be time for 99x to hang up most of it's
> talent . Jesus - they're friggin in their 40's. Not that
> there's anything wrong with that but are kids 18-30 really
> want to hear Jimmy's 45 minute rant about his golf trip.
> I say send Jimmy and Toucher to GST. Keep Leslie in
> programming and bring in new fresh talent. Get the station
> to be cutting edge again with new music.
> The station is not fresh when most of its talent has been
> around since 1993.
>
> Q100 still need to increase its signal...stop with the
> repetitiveness of airplay. Widen the playlist to include
> 30% recurrents from 1995 on. Become a Top 40 pop and dance
> station. Either drop the rock hits or the rap hits. The
> All the hits format does not seem to work in this market.
> Top 40 music now is just too diverse. I love the Bert Show
> and I think it would bust open if heard on 98.5 or Lite -FM.
> That show seems more geared for that audience over there.

99x is way past just replacing their talent, it should have been done years ago when the ratings stagnated. They were decent in their day but now they are out of touch with what is happening today no matter how long jimmy-boy wants to think he is cutting edge or why leslie-boy wants to believe she knows what music is hot or cutting edge.

The morning show should go along with Mr Fram, they need a PD that has a clue about what decent music is, not just playin oldies of her youth and acting like it was great music. That music sucked then and sucks now.<P ID="signature">______________
I feel sorry for people who don't drink. When they wake up in the morning, that's as good as they're going to feel all day</P>

> overall ratings.
> pretty low OVERALL.
> morning's show.
>

I'm not certain on this but my assumption is that 99x is an example of an Internet radio station. When you get into niche's underneith a genre of music you tend to get a smaller audience.

Q100 just needs to expand their signal and advertise in the metro Atlanta area billboards.
<P ID="signature">______________
</P>

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.
Back
Top Bottom