• Get involved.
    We want your input!
    Apply for Membership and join the conversations about everything related to broadcasting.

After we receive your registration, a moderator will review it. After your registration is approved, you will be permitted to post.
    If you use a disposable or false email address, your registration will be rejected.

After your membership is approved, please take a minute to tell us a little bit about yourself.
    https://www.radiodiscussions.com/forums/introduce-yourself.1088/

Thanks in advance and have fun!
    RadioDiscussions Administrators

What is the lowest-power signal from the farthest distance you can get?

Regarding the X-Band in the early days I also heard KDIA Vallejo, Ca in Illinois. In Hawaii I heard the ESPN 1700 near San Diego.

As the X-band was opening up, quite a few DXers in the US heard 250 watt to 1000 watt stations from Argentina since that country jumped on the band faster than the FCC process moved. I heard one of several from Puerto Rico.

KPET Lamesa has the most coverage for a low power signal I have ever heard. I could start getting them just outside of Ft. Worth. No doubt they have some excellent ground conductivity at their tower site.

And an excellent engineer in David Stewart.

I've also gotten translators from a very long distance with my Sangean PR-D15 and car radios.

I've gotten W249BS, a 250 watt translator for 1290 WTKS in Savannah, at least 5 times from 85 miles away on 97.7. There is also a 104.3 translator in Savannah I've heard several times. During skip, I also get a 106.5 translator from Hilton Head, 64 miles out.

Speaking of far away translators, I've gotten a few from Wisconsin: 93.3 W227CH Sturgeon Bay (80W @ 65 miles), 95.3 W237AA Appleton (250W @ 100 miles), 96.1 W241AG Sheboygan (250W @ 78 miles, by far the most common), 98.9 W255AQ Sturgeon Bay (55W @ 65 miles), 103.3 W277BR Sheboygan (55W @ 78 miles)

Collateral translator - because I had my antenna pointed South from Palm Bay, FL: W242AC 96.3 FM, Port Saint Lucie, FL 10 Watts, about 60 miles.

In terms of FM...

Best so far has been K270CJ/Olympia, WA regularly putting a signal up here 65.3 miles from the translator site. Ditto with sister station K277CZ. However, 277 now gets clogged up with a downtown Seattle translator and new sign-on KMCQ

Also picked up a good signal from K297BD/Greenwater, WA 49.6 miles from my location when 107.3 in Victoria, BC was off. A whopping 2 watts of power!

Radio-X

Under conditions of extreme tropo, I was able to hear KTXT Lubbock in Midland. They were 10 watts off of a 600 foot tower on 88.1 at the time. I was not able to hear KOHM 91.1 - 5 watts from a short tower on top of Coronado high school's gym from Midland. I say extreme tropo - because Lubbock's other stations were pegging my signal strength meter that morning. KTXT barely made it move. Distance was 115 miles.

I've heard 990 KTMS near midday from 181 miles away, with I think a near-armchair-copy level signal.

KTMS is 5 kW, but directional, with a fairly deep null in the direction of my location at the time of that recording. Their field at 1 km is about 47.31 mV/m, which translates to about 21 watts.

I've heard of cases where signals went a lot farther with a lot less power, though. How about 1 µW over 1650 miles on 10 meters? I'm curious if r.fry or anyone has any idea what the received field strength intensity would be in µV/m (or would picovolts/meter be more appropriate)?

My best low power DX is probably any of the number of nameless NOAA Oregon stations I hear on 1660, and sometimes 1650. I don't know the wattage but I'm sure it's pretty minimal. I think one of them is on the Coast, another one may be in the Willamette Valley somewhere. They usually mix with KBRE 105.7 The Bear out of Merced (which has a great mix of rock music, I've gotta add).

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.
Back
Top Bottom