• Get involved.
    We want your input!
    Apply for Membership and join the conversations about everything related to broadcasting.

After we receive your registration, a moderator will review it. After your registration is approved, you will be permitted to post.
    If you use a disposable or false email address, your registration will be rejected.

After your membership is approved, please take a minute to tell us a little bit about yourself.
    https://www.radiodiscussions.com/forums/introduce-yourself.1088/

Thanks in advance and have fun!
    RadioDiscussions Administrators

What 25 MEGAWATTS OF Shortwave Pow-Pow-Powerrrrr Sounds Like!

This is audio of what 25 MEGAWATTS ERP sounds like when it's pointed RIGHT AT YOU from 5100 miles away, putting you just about dead center in the main beam. VOA in Korean via Udon Thani, Thailand to the "Far East" (21 deg. azimuth) between 1900 and 2100UTC

TEF6686 radio, 15 ft wellbrook loop, DXEngineering preamp and EmTech ZM2 Tuner. 95 to 110dbuv signal.

408650651_10227533394697948_7985166108914336381_n.jpg

The signal is rated at 250KW according to short-wave.info. Perhaps they are sending a lobe of what seems like megawatts towards you. I remember the old Radio Ukraine International had a few 1-megawatt transmissions on 41 meters, but that was 15 years ago. 7440khz, I think. Even then, the signal was a mess, subject to lots of fades and interference. Multiple religious stations around that part of 41m each night, too (KTBN, WWCR, WHRI, etc.)

The signal is rated at 250KW according to short-wave.info. Perhaps they are sending a lobe of what seems like megawatts towards you. I remember the old Radio Ukraine International had a few 1-megawatt transmissions on 41 meters, but that was 15 years ago. 7440khz, I think. Even then, the signal was a mess, subject to lots of fades and interference. Multiple religious stations around that part of 41m each night, too (KTBN, WWCR, WHRI, etc.)

Thats 250KW Transmitter power output into a big ol antenna.

Famed Seattle engineer Stephen Lockwood from Hatfield & Dawson has worked on the site and I asked him what kind of antenna they have.

Whatever it is, its 20db gain....... 25 megawatts in the main lobe.

Here's Stephen and I in Anchorage last month. Super freakin smart guy with transmitters and antennas and super super nice.

unnamed.jpg

I don't have the radio anymore (Lafayette HA 600a) and certainly times have changed. But living in Philadelphia, basement apartment, after re-doing its analog AM dial for better frequency determination, I ventured over to the analog 49 and 31 meter bands to do them as well. Filled up a looseleaf book with the most short wave DX I'd done in my life and since. This was in the late 80's, forty years ago.
Anyway, there are several notations about hearing R. Pyongyang quite clearly, on 9695, 9745 and 9977.
The nearer that one tuned to WWV's 10000 signal, the clearer, more sparse and more separable the stations seemed to become; they weren't as bunched together as the 9520-9660 spectrum stations were at the other end of the band.
Was just wondering what kind of power those Radio Pyongyang's were using forty years ago.

Back
Top Bottom