• Get involved.
    We want your input!
    Apply for Membership and join the conversations about everything related to broadcasting.

After we receive your registration, a moderator will review it. After your registration is approved, you will be permitted to post.
    If you use a disposable or false email address, your registration will be rejected.

After your membership is approved, please take a minute to tell us a little bit about yourself.
    https://www.radiodiscussions.com/forums/introduce-yourself.1088/

Thanks in advance and have fun!
    RadioDiscussions Administrators

WFTL 850

dustintv

Inactive
Inactive User
This station interests because they appear to more local than WIOD although being in a bad news/talk market like Miami does nothing for it.

commence James Crystal bashing in 5... 4... 3... 2... 1...

You gotta admit, they do more local talk than anyone else in the market

People like Ed in Ft. Lauderdale love to hear themselves on the radio so we have to have more local talk shows that allow that stuff.

When South Florida talk radio was local with lots of callers (in the 1970's and 1980's) it drew double-digit shares. Stations dominated by syndication struggle for one's and two's. As for being a bad market for talk radio, South Florida was once one of the best in the country -- when it was live, local and tilted liberal. Syndicated and all-conservative all-the-time doesn't cut it in this region, but that's what the industry gives us because it's cookie-cutter and cheap.

When I was at WQAM (mid-80's) there was some really great talk radio..WNWS comes to mind where I first heard Neil Rogers, and Al Rantel..At 790, thier signal was unusually poor in a lot of northern Dade, and Broward..but man they had some great hosts and were compelling to hear. WIOD was still playing music, but ran some local talk. 1360 WKAT "The Talking Kat" was the worst of the all-talk batch, but at least they still stayed local. Palm Beach had WJNO, but they were (at the time) a class 4 with a horrid signal...I think they were at 1230 or something..not good technically, but they were REALLY strong on content. The original 1400 WFTL ran some spotty talk also. I also seem to remember that WGBS/710 ran some talk programming also..and of course there was and still is WINZ..but thier news overshadowed thier talk programming. Yes the Miami/Ftl market had some of the best.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.
Back
Top Bottom