• Get involved.
    We want your input!
    Apply for Membership and join the conversations about everything related to broadcasting.

After we receive your registration, a moderator will review it. After your registration is approved, you will be permitted to post.
    If you use a disposable or false email address, your registration will be rejected.

After your membership is approved, please take a minute to tell us a little bit about yourself.
    https://www.radiodiscussions.com/forums/introduce-yourself.1088/

Thanks in advance and have fun!
    RadioDiscussions Administrators

WFLI Chattanooga switches to talk

This was in early June. The oldies dream died for WFLI, as it switches to conservative News-Talk (simulcasting a TV morning show) then a lineup of talk personalities. I was in Chattanooga in March; they were still playing music with few commercials, but no Jet FLI imaging.

I imagine this is curtains for the National Top 40 Radio Museum?

When worked in Chattanooga market in the mid 1970's rates were low. I saw orders for $6.00 per 30 sec AM & PM drive times at one of the market covering top 40 AMs. I always wondered how WDXB survived. At least electric rates are low. I assumed things got better with ad rates at least keeping up with inflation.

When worked in Chattanooga market in the mid 1970's rates were low. I saw orders for $6.00 per 30 sec AM & PM drive times at one of the market covering top 40 AMs. I always wondered how WDXB survived. At least electric rates are low. I assumed things got better with ad rates at least keeping up with inflation.

Elaborating on your point about adjusting for inflation: When talking money, you have to bring it to the same point in time if comparing. $6 in 1975 is a bit over $35 today. When I consider that a CHR where I worked 22 years ago was charging $28 for a 30 second spot (about $48 today), the $6 rate in 1975 was low, but it's not as low it initially looks. The same $28 rate for a 30 second spot was a hair over $8 in 1975.

The was a station in Cookeville at that time getting $3. I know different situation but when you look at expenses and headaches, I would rather would have owned it than either WFLI or WGOW. Luther brought in an amazing amount of revenue for WDEF. Really nice guy. I always wondered how much they paid him. I hope he wasn't giving them a "home town deal".

Back
Top Bottom