• Get involved.
    We want your input!
    Apply for Membership and join the conversations about everything related to broadcasting.

After we receive your registration, a moderator will review it. After your registration is approved, you will be permitted to post.
    If you use a disposable or false email address, your registration will be rejected.

After your membership is approved, please take a minute to tell us a little bit about yourself.
    https://www.radiodiscussions.com/forums/introduce-yourself.1088/

Thanks in advance and have fun!
    RadioDiscussions Administrators

Westwood One Network News

This has got to be the oddest network newscast on radio. The syndicator is Westwood One but the owner is Cumulus, which had been running mostly ABC news on its stations. Now WABC, KABC, WLS, KSFO, KGO, etc. are all Westwood One affiliates.

Because the network allows stations to break away at :01, :02 and :04, no story can run for more than a few seconds. Other networks like CBS, ABC and Fox give you options to take a full newscast or a different brief report. But Westwood One wants to cover it all in one service. So every newscast is made up of only two and three sentence stories.

Even when they have a report from the field, that report can't run more than a few sentences. And I don't think they have more than a few of their own reporters in the field. I've never heard a live field report. Most of the time, they've simply lifted a CNN report from TV and isolated a few sentences from that report. So if CNN's John Smith is in Rome, reporting on the Pope, or in Baghdad, reporting on the war in Iraq, we only hear him say a few sentences. And he's never identified as being with CNN. Other than the noise in the background, he might as well be in a New York studio reading a few sentences into a microphone. There's no time for him to include a clip from a newsmaker. That would take too long.

Here's the format...

1. A musical explosion is heard and the anchor gives two or three super brief headlines... "Flooding in Texas, Senate Deadlocked."
2. Then he gives his name. No identification of the network, just the name... "I'm Dirk Van."
3. He reads about four stories, each about 10-15 seconds each. Even if he has tape, he can only lead in with a sentence or two.
4. Coming up to the one-minute mark, he again gives his name... "I'm Dirk Van." That's followed by a brief pause for some stations to exit.
5. Then he starts his second minute of news. Again, it's usually four stories, each about 15 seconds long.
6. Coming up to the two-minute mark, the anchor again gives his name... "I'm Dirk Van."
7. Then it's a minute of network commercials. At the end, some stations exit here.
8. The anchor then begins a minute of lighter stories. It's usually kickers and box office reports and entertainment news.
9. After a minute, there's some ending music and the anchor again gives his name. "I'm Dirk Van."
10. Then another minute of network spots and that's it.

Because the network never identifies itself, the anchor tells us his name four times in a newscast that, minus commercials, is only three minutes long.

In my market, NYC, WABC rarely uses the Westwood One news on the hour. On weekdays, it's all local anchors from 5am to Midnight. Weekends have a few more network newscasts. However, I can also hear two Cumulus owned suburban AM stations, 1230 WFAS White Plains NY and 600 WICC Bridgeport CT. WFAS runs Westwood One news every hour, all day. WICC runs it all hours outside of morning drive. Oddly the two stations don't always have the same national spots. I don't think they're substituting their own spots. I think it's left over from their ABC affiliation. WFAS used to be ABC Entertainment and WICC used to be ABC Information. So when WFAS is running a Geico ad, WICC may be running a Walgreen's ad. But the news is the same.

So in the NYC market, home of ABC News, home of 770 WABC, there's no affiliate for ABC Radio News. But we have three affiliates for Westwood One.

Last edited:
What's odd, other than not providing branding?

IIt's basically the same as the ABC News Now product. If your not familiar, their formatics were(are?) as follows:
- "ABC News Now, I'm Richard Cantu"
- 3 or 4 short stories
- "This ABC News" outcue
- Feature story wrap - 25 sec
- second feature read by anchor
- "I'm Richard Cantu, ABC News"
- :60 ad

The difference is that WW1 News provides an additional minute of news.

It is different than ABC, and not just because of the lack of branding. As Gregg noted, there is a notable lack of any detail to the headlines, whereas with ABC Radio News generally there would be a headline and several seconds explaining the details. It's certainly better than no TOH news, but inferior to what ABC had produced for Cumulus IMO.

If stations want more detail, there are lots of options. My sense is this is being offered specifically to limit clutter. Self-IDs and branding are clutter. Detail is clutter. Just tell me what I want to know and move on. That's what PPM teaches you.

It's odd on three counts. First, there is no depth to any story. Even with important stories, you can't go more than a few seconds without a lock-out stopping you. So even News-Talk stations that will be discussing the news all day, and taking the entire newscast, can't have depth to any story.

#2... I'm not sure that ANYONE in Cumulus' employ is in the field. It's either wire copy or three sentences lifted from a CNN reporter who likely has no idea that a few seconds of his two minute TV report are being heard on a radio network. CBS, ABC, Fox and AP all have their own reporters filing stories SPECIFICALLY for the radio network listeners, sometimes live when a story is breaking.

And third, it's odd that there's no brand attached. Is branding a bad thing? I assume that ABC, CBS and Fox Radio affiliates LIKE having their top of the hour newscast branded with a name people know.

Let's face it. This is Cumulus' attempt to take back the commercial inventory it used to give to ABC in exchange for an excellent news product. Most of these newscasts are airing on Cumulus News-Talk stations, whose listeners are only getting the briefest of headlines because Cumulus doesn't want to have two different newscasts. So the listeners have to put up with a poor product because Cumulus also wants to sell it to stations only seeking a one-minute headline service. And Cumulus doesn't want to pay for reporters in the field covering the major stories. After all, why send someone to the Texas floods or to Baghdad when we'll only hear three sentences from them, no matter how good their reporting may be. If you told me, hey, these newscasts are for FM music stations and nobody wants to hear more than the headlines, I'd agree with you. But these newscasts are airing on some of the nation's most important News-Talk stations, WABC, WLS, KGO, WBAP, WMAL, not KISS-FM or Z100. These are stations that advertise their commitment to news coverage. If you say, nobody wants to hear more than a few news headlines, why are they listening to a News-Talk radio station in the first place?

Basically Cumulus replaced The New York Times with the local Pennysaver free newspaper for its listeners, so it could keep the commercial avails.

And third, it's odd that there's no brand attached. Is branding a bad thing?

Two things about that: Branding is expensive. Cumulus was paying a load of money for the ABC brand. I assume they're paying much less for this.

Also, branding can become confusing. If you're a conservative station running Fox News, that makes sense. That supports the "brand." But maybe not ABC or CBS. Also, the goal of a radio station to build it's OWN local brand. Hard to say you're hometown's local station if you're running a national news that's very obviously not local. They're listening to your station because of the local programming, not the 3 minute TOH national news. Which is brand more important? In TV branding is important since a majority of the programming is coming from the network. Not so much with radio.

A couple of things made this possible. Metro News (now Total Traffic) and similar news & traffic services that provide unbranded national news drawn from internet reports. Westwood One used to own Metro, so they know how that product was made. The other thing that made this possible has been the scandals rocking the news business, whether it's Brian Williams or someone else. A famous brand name may not ensure credibility. So why pay for it?

Last edited:
On a road trip last weekend I heard a couple of these newscasts.

They are .... awful.

I just don't buy that PPM measurement alone means that these newscasts have to be super brief, jumping from story to story every 15 seconds. The entire cast picked up by a station is often only one minute long. If the one minute news cast was formatted more like ABC Radio's bottom of the hour status updates (where two or three stories are covered, with tight writing), it would sound a lot better.

As noted above, the ABC News Now newscasts are also super brief, though ABC has them full of the "news your can use" garbage that has really eroded the credibility of the news divisions.

Finally, Doug Limerick packs about 30% more stories into his newscasts at ABC on the I-Net, and they still sound good. I just can't accept formatting for PPM as an excuse for a terrible sounding product.

I just don't buy that PPM measurement alone means that these newscasts have to be super brief, jumping from story to story every 15 seconds.

What do you know about PPM?

What I understand is (1) Shorter is better, (2) National & international is a tune-out, and (3) if real important news happens, they can break format. But for the most part, there isn't much happening, so why try to invent news to fill a top minute?

Take a look at what a focus on national news is doing to syndicated talk. It's killing it. That's not something anyone wants to emulate.

Quantity does not make quality. A longer network news cast doesn't equal better.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.
Back
Top Bottom