• Get involved.
    We want your input!
    Apply for Membership and join the conversations about everything related to broadcasting.

After we receive your registration, a moderator will review it. After your registration is approved, you will be permitted to post.
    If you use a disposable or false email address, your registration will be rejected.

After your membership is approved, please take a minute to tell us a little bit about yourself.
    https://www.radiodiscussions.com/forums/introduce-yourself.1088/

Thanks in advance and have fun!
    RadioDiscussions Administrators

WDXI 1310 AM (Jackson) Off The Air

103.1 is the stronger signal of the two, and it is the one that has been off the air.

Well, no shit.. WMXX 103.1 is 42KW at 538 feet, W278CL 103.5 is 250 Watts at 449 feet.

Well, no crap.. WMXX 103.1 is 42KW at 538 feet, W278CL 103.5 is 250 Watts at 449 feet.
Paul, I get it. I think what they're referring to in this case is they identify both stations as "Kool 103". The FM is Classic Hits 60s-80s, and the AM is 50s-60s, so there is an awful lot of duplication. The sons are trying to keep the Oldies alive that their father championed, and they program the FM so close that they really sound alike. They used to do Talk on AM, and then they started adding in 80s to the FM, so they act like it's 2 separate formats when it really sounds alike. They really could do better if they went Adult Hits on FM to skew younger, and it would fill a huge hole in the market. Unfortunately, Oldies is what they've always done, and what they'll continue to do because it's what they know.

Paul, I get it. I think what they're referring to in this case is they identify both stations as "Kool 103". The FM is Classic Hits 60s-80s, and the AM is 50s-60s, so there is an awful lot of duplication. The sons are trying to keep the Oldies alive that their father championed, and they program the FM so close that they really sound alike. They used to do Talk on AM, and then they started adding in 80s to the FM, so they act like it's 2 separate formats when it really sounds alike. They really could do better if they went Adult Hits on FM to skew younger, and it would fill a huge hole in the market. Unfortunately, Oldies is what they've always done, and what they'll continue to do because it's what they know.
If it were me, I'd do 60s-80s on the AM/translator with an oldies bend.... and late 70s to mid 90s on the FM with a classic hits bend.. if were talking about keeping alive what these stations are doing but make it more marketable and sellable

Paul, I get it. I think what they're referring to in this case is they identify both stations as "Kool 103".

Oh and IDing both as Kool 103 is SMART, frankly. not dumb or cheap... branding branding branding........

Why? Theyre on the same tower.. you gain nothing by doing that

You answered your own question.

no i didnt..... you have an AM carrying the same programming as 1310..... while 1310 isnt as wide coverage as 103.1 its still go.

and by progrmaming slightly different but similar.. they have that target group and music pretty locked up....... they drop one format, they either have to make the remaining format wider.. or they lose some edge that someone can potentially pick up

no i didnt..... you have an AM carrying the same programming as 1310..... while 1310 isnt as wide coverage as 103.1 its still go.

and by progrmaming slightly different but similar.. they have that target group and music pretty locked up....... they drop one format, they either have to make the remaining format wider.. or they lose some edge that someone can potentially pick up
Seriously doubt that ANYONE is listening to music on AM anymore, if listening to AM at all.

Seriously doubt that ANYONE is listening to music on AM anymore, if listening to AM at all.

but theres zero point to simulcast 2 FM's on the same tower when they both have different formats. thats a massive waste of resources

but theres zero point to simulcast 2 FM's on the same tower when they both have different formats. thats a massive waste of resources
I would agree with that, but it would be preferable to having NOTHING on one of them.

We had a similar situation here in Nashville a few years back. The translator was in a location where I couldn't pick it up, but they claimed that it was filling in a gap that their main signal was not reaching.

The combo buy is a wonderful thing. You can have an FM that can command, say $8 a spot and offer the AM at $4 or $2 perhaps. At any rate, you can typically cover expenses and make more than you could with only one station.

I knew a fellow that had 3 newspapers. One had 1,000 circulation. The second had 75 subscribers and the third only 50 subscribers. I asked why he bothered with the other two tiny readership papers. He said it was because of the combo buys. It went this way: $3 a column inch, take 2 papers for $5 and all three for $6 a column inch. He said 30% of his income was from the small papers.

Knowing a bit about the players here, this is most likely just a case of keeping the 50s-60s Oldies that Gerald loves on AM, and evolving the FM to Classic Hits 70s-80s-early 90s a couple of years ago. The AM was News-Talk until the FM went Classic Hits from Oldies, and they use the same branding because they've already paid for it, so why re-brand the AM or FM? This way they keep the same audience with the AM that went to the Caravan of Stars concerts they used to throw each year. Besides, they have never branded as KOOL 103.1, simply as KOOL 103, so really, it works for AM as well since it's 103.5. The sons grew up with the oldies, and that's probably what they're comfortable continuing to air, at least on AM, and today's Classic Hits is adding in some early 90s, so it's continuing to evolve as a format. The translator on 103.5 doesn't have a great signal over a lot of Jackson to the north where the business is moving, and really doesn't hit Milan or Humboldt well.

Last edited:
Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.
Back
Top Bottom