• Get involved.
    We want your input!
    Apply for Membership and join the conversations about everything related to broadcasting.

After we receive your registration, a moderator will review it. After your registration is approved, you will be permitted to post.
    If you use a disposable or false email address, your registration will be rejected.

After your membership is approved, please take a minute to tell us a little bit about yourself.
    https://www.radiodiscussions.com/forums/introduce-yourself.1088/

Thanks in advance and have fun!
    RadioDiscussions Administrators

WDIX, WGCD, WKTM, WPUB

I'm just wondering if I had any radio friends still around who worked at any of these facilities in the 1970s. I did see a thread here a while back, since closed, about WDIX and it's history. It referred to the station as automated in the 1970s. For the most part it was but I did a live afternoon show four to seven I believe in 19 75. We also had for a while a live overnight show called Travis Rhoad, the all night satellite. It was a big signal 100k. It was the poor step child of MOR WDIX AM. The general manager and a guy who also did some air work was Doug Bennett Thompson. After leaving town I never did speak or hear from him again I just wondered if anybody knew his whereabouts. He was a really good salesman. I recall we had a weeknight show called The Limehouse hour. WGCD.. was a 1000 watt pea shooter which I think is still there in Chester South Carolina, I worked there briefly. Chris Johnson who now owns WPUB there was another guy named Joey Marinelli, and the general manager was Robert Heinlein. His wife I believe her name was Flora also worked there. WPUB was just going on the air in 1974 Rod Poole was the program director Phil Rodgers, R. Michael Hamlin and I were on the air. Cecil Bowers was the general manager. WKTM I worked at for calendar 1976 with a fine collection of talent including JJ Scott and Steve Russell. Bill Dudley was the general manager. I use the names Ken Harlan and 'Roy Edwards when I was in SC. Love to hear from anyone who remembers these stations or me or these folks

Phil Rogers is still around, but now working part time as he retired from Full-time announcing. Cecil Bowers AKA the old man is passed away. Phil was my PD/OM when I was at WPUB FROM 92 to early 99.

Back
Top Bottom