• Get involved.
    We want your input!
    Apply for Membership and join the conversations about everything related to broadcasting.

After we receive your registration, a moderator will review it. After your registration is approved, you will be permitted to post.
    If you use a disposable or false email address, your registration will be rejected.

After your membership is approved, please take a minute to tell us a little bit about yourself.
    https://www.radiodiscussions.com/forums/introduce-yourself.1088/

Thanks in advance and have fun!
    RadioDiscussions Administrators

WBBM IBOC TEMPORARILY OFF

WBBM has turned off their IBOC hiss generator temporarily. Enjoy it while it lasts!

Gosh, They do sound great without the hash.

As part of the on again, off again saga that is HD AM, WBBM's IBOC hash has been off the past couple of nights while they fiddle around with it again. However, the screeching and spitting continues unabated down on 670 AM.

And 670 still has analog images flying off the digital constellations.

I don't think the white papers ever adrressed the eventuality of analog spectral regrowth, but WSCR is poster child for it.

It's probably the counterpart to the lost intelligbilty and/or the perceived weakness in dx reception of an iboc AM.

It was nice while it lasted. I listened to WBBM driving home from Springfield today and it was back on, there was a big contrast between being on and off. Why they choose to degrade their signal like this is insane.

With HD on there is a constant high pitched tone. When it is off it has a richer sound. I can not listen to the station for more than just a few minutes, it truly hurts my ears. It is a bad thing when WNDZ which has much less power sounds better in Bloomington than WBBM. The one thing that is clear is that the folks in charge surely do not listen to their own station.

If a proud owner of a radio station ever heard this it would be in the trash now. CBS Radio leaves it on none the less.

Tom could you expand on what you talked of in your last comment. I am not so good at technical language, I am interested in learning more about what you were saying about WSCR.

CBS Corp invested in the Ibiquity IBOC development, hence their continued insistence to keep it on their stations. In fact the Sr. VP of Engineering at CBS was greatly involved in the IBOC system design and was once employed by Ibiquity. Until he throws in the towel and no longer insists the CBS stations keep the noise on....it will still be there. Damn!

Going Back to Nashville:

I'm describing what happens when modulation, (a mixing of frequencies) occurs.

Like when two musical notes are played, a harmony occurs.

When tuning along through 630-640-650-660-670-680-690-700-710, first is heard a weak, hissy analog byproduct
of the audio as reflected from the digital sidebands.

Following that, as one tunes along there is the hissing, then the true audio with the hissing.
Tuning along, next is the hissing on the other side, followed by another fuzzy sounding analog image reflected off the other
set of digital sidebands.

We don't hear the upper sideband analog image of WSCR here in Chicago because the lower sideband of
WGN at 720 overpowers it.

It is quite audible on the low side of WSCR, heard best at 640 to 650 khz.

When visiting near Peoria, WBBM weakest of 4 major AM's in Chicago.
What's with all the hash in the signal of WSM, 650? That was a reliable clear channel.

Tom Wells said:
I'm describing what happens when modulation, (a mixing of frequencies) occurs.

Actually, a mixing of frequencies is called heterodyning. Most current AM & FM receivers are superheterodyne based.

Dave

howardm said:
When visiting near Peoria, WBBM weakest of 4 major AM's in Chicago.
What's with all the hash in the signal of WSM, 650? That was a reliable clear channel.

I rented a car and drove to suburban Chicago this past weekend, and the radio in that particular Nissan was garbage to the point I couldn't hear any of the big AMs until west of Columbia City. I was not surprised in the least that WGN was the loudest the farthest out. WSCR and WBBM, with their IBOC, weren't really listenable for another 20 miles after that. And people, not necessarily anyone in this thread, will still argue HD is the future of AM radio.

Gosh, I'd love to know what towns/suburbs were such a problem.

Could have been a problem with the car/antenna/grounding/noise.

They need to start equipping AM radios receivers with Double synchronous detection instead of the customary diode detector. Someone told me that this type of synchronous detector can cope with AM IBOC hash or eliminate it all together. This type of detection is used with the Eton E1 shortwave receiver (with or without the built in XM radio option). With Most high end Hi-FI receivers and Car Radios having HD FM detection, they need to start considering improving the basic AM radio.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.
Back
Top Bottom