• Get involved.
    We want your input!
    Apply for Membership and join the conversations about everything related to broadcasting.

After we receive your registration, a moderator will review it. After your registration is approved, you will be permitted to post.
    If you use a disposable or false email address, your registration will be rejected.

After your membership is approved, please take a minute to tell us a little bit about yourself.
    https://www.radiodiscussions.com/forums/introduce-yourself.1088/

Thanks in advance and have fun!
    RadioDiscussions Administrators

Wbaw & wxrs

Are there any updates with regards to the construction permits to these two stations? I know WBAW has been in the works for years but I noticed an "update" (whatever that means) on the FCC site on September 26th for this station.

Per the FCC application:

AS HAS BEEN PREVIOUSLY ADVISED TO THE COMMISSION (SEE BTCH-20130925AML), THE LICENSEES SOLE SHAREHOLDER, GARY DODD, PASSED AWAY AND HIS WIFE LISA DODD IS NOW HANDLING HIS ESTATE WHICH INCLUDES WBAW-FM. THE LICENSEE CURRENTLY HAS A CONSTRUCTION PERMIT TO CHANGE ITS COMMUNITY OF LICENSE FROM BARNWELL, SC TO PEMBROKE, GA (SEE BPH-20130412AAF). THIS MOVE WILL INVOLVE THE CONSTRUCTION OF A NEW 826 FOOT TOWER. THE ESTATE IS CURRENTLY WORKING ON THIS CONSTRUCTION PERMIT, BUT ANY CONSTRUCTION ON THE TALL TOWER WILL TAKES QUITE A BIT OF TIME. DURING THE INTERIM PERIOD; WBAW-FM IS BEING TAKEN TEMPORARILY SILENT DUE TO FINANCIAL REASONS OF THE ESTATE. UNDER THE CIRCUMSTANCES, THE LICENSEE RESPECTFULLY REQUESTS 180 DAYS TO REMAIN SILENT

I'm guessing its held up in probate (the station). Though, given the fact that WBAW has had a CP for going close to 10 years, I see this as a way to bring value to a station that would be worth very little as a 5-year-dark C3 studio/station combo located in an economically depressed part of the state. Build the tower in GA, put a cheap antenna/tx on it, sell the station to somebody who'd pay good money to include it in their cluster...

It looks to be a decent signal west of Savannah and would be a decent simulcast partner with an AM or SC rimshots 103.1/104.9 to cover the market. Or, sold to certain religious non-comms that gobble up fringe commercial signals.

My guess is IF 99.1 signs on in GA, we won't see it for another 2+ years...I think the permit will be sold before that to an enterprising person and whatever equipment is left in Barnwell will be tossed out/sold as scrap

Radio-X

Update on WXRS:

Looks like there is an updated application to move WXRS Swainsboro to Brooklet. Originally, the application was to move to portal though physical location of transmitter would be Statesboro at 50K Watts. Now, as of 3/2016, application request move to Brooklet (physical location roughly same location) at 39K Watts. Currently the station is located in Swainsboro at 3K watts and is country music owned by Radio Jones LLC. This company also owns sister stations Magic 98.1 (AC Dublin); Big 103; Game 102; Rocket 97.1. Most of these stations are actually translators with the exception of Magic 98.1. Most are located and serve Dublin/Swainsboro.

Last edited:
Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.
Back
Top Bottom