• Get involved.
    We want your input!
    Apply for Membership and join the conversations about everything related to broadcasting.

After we receive your registration, a moderator will review it. After your registration is approved, you will be permitted to post.
    If you use a disposable or false email address, your registration will be rejected.

After your membership is approved, please take a minute to tell us a little bit about yourself.
    https://www.radiodiscussions.com/forums/introduce-yourself.1088/

Thanks in advance and have fun!
    RadioDiscussions Administrators

WAEB--mid 70's--misc.

Since the thread about WQQQ was getting off topic, I thought we'd start a new thread here...
TODDMAYOR said:
Anyone remember the old daytime tower lights at night when it would flash with individual letter w-a-e-b then waeb waeb waeb. then back to individual letters. what a c
Yes, although the towers were some distance away, you could see those call letters pretty well from Rt. 22

gwjr67 said:
Thanks for the comments on pop. I believe the character was "Julia Throwup" but I was a just a kid so I could be mistaken. Anyone remember the HS football predictor "Banana Nose Banora"? That was some risque stuff for the 70's. Oh, and about the tower lights. I remember them well. It was the easiest way to find 700 Fenwick Street, which was just barely more than an alley with some nice stone exterior houses. And Rust would go nuts if one of those tower lights burned out. It was rare to see it out for more than a day. Lastly, and probably better served for another thread, remember how hard it was after business hours to get into the "fortress" that was WAEB in 70's? There was no buzzer to ring the jock on the air. You had to walk around to the side of the building, find a pebble, and toss it up to hit the window of the control room window.
And what happened to Don Brooks? Last I heard he went to Albany, NY and I lost track of him.

Yeah, I remember Banana Nose, Gene. Your dad certainly was good with that kind of stuff. And, as Todd said, that is something listeners latch onto.

After WAEB, Don Brooks worked at WMID in Atlantic City, then (as you mentioned) at WPTR in Albany. From there, he went to WDRC-FM in Hartford, where he did mid-days (I think) for a number of years. He later moved into sales for DRC AM & FM. Last I heard (several years ago) he was selling for a TV station in Hartford.

Remember Cooker Ryan? He also went from WAEB to WMID and on to WPTR, although he changed his air name to Telly Ryan. After that, I heard he became a New York State Trooper.

Not that it matters much, but I was pretty sure Don Brooks went to WPTR from WAEB. There was sort of a migration up that way, with Chris Roberts and Craig Kingcaid and Don all going up. I know he did WMID time, but I think it was at a different career point. WPTR (aka "The Super Peter") and WAEB were both Rust stations at the time. Phil Gregory also went there at the time. I wish the memories were clearer.

Bill790 said:
Since the thread about WQQQ was getting off topic, I thought we'd start a new thread here...
TODDMAYOR said:
Anyone remember the old daytime tower lights at night when it would flash with individual letter w-a-e-b then waeb waeb waeb. then back to individual letters. what a c
Yes, although the towers were some distance away, you could see those call letters pretty well from Rt. 22

gwjr67 said:
Thanks for the comments on pop. I believe the character was "Julia Throwup" but I was a just a kid so I could be mistaken. Anyone remember the HS football predictor "Banana Nose Banora"? That was some risque stuff for the 70's. Oh, and about the tower lights. I remember them well. It was the easiest way to find 700 Fenwick Street, which was just barely more than an alley with some nice stone exterior houses. And Rust would go nuts if one of those tower lights burned out. It was rare to see it out for more than a day. Lastly, and probably better served for another thread, remember how hard it was after business hours to get into the "fortress" that was WAEB in 70's? There was no buzzer to ring the jock on the air. You had to walk around to the side of the building, find a pebble, and toss it up to hit the window of the control room window.
And what happened to Don Brooks? Last I heard he went to Albany, NY and I lost track of him.

Yeah, I remember Banana Nose, Gene. Your dad certainly was good with that kind of stuff. And, as Todd said, that is something listeners latch onto.

After WAEB, Don Brooks worked at WMID in Atlantic City, then (as you mentioned) at WPTR in Albany. From there, he went to WDRC-FM in Hartford, where he did mid-days (I think) for a number of years. He later moved into sales for DRC AM & FM. Last I heard (several years ago) he was selling for a TV station in Hartford.

Remember Cooker Ryan? He also went from WAEB to WMID and on to WPTR, although he changed his air name to Telly Ryan. After that, I heard he became a New York State Trooper.

I remember Banana Nose Banaro. Tiger Joe McClaine( Joe Diefenderfer) used this nom de guerre during his afternnon drive on WAEB back in the late 60's & 70's. My dad was his CO in the National Guard and he used to take me to the studio all the time. Him & Tiny Labarre taught me how to set up their remotes at the Sear's store during that period and I also got the opportunity to be a board op sometimes for Super Lou.

:(
I think Joe McLaine had a stroke some years ago and wasn't doing so good back then; have not heard an update. Anyone have additional info.

last I heard he was living in Catasauqua....His name is Joe Diefenderfer

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.
Back
Top Bottom