• Get involved.
    We want your input!
    Apply for Membership and join the conversations about everything related to broadcasting.

After we receive your registration, a moderator will review it. After your registration is approved, you will be permitted to post.
    If you use a disposable or false email address, your registration will be rejected.

After your membership is approved, please take a minute to tell us a little bit about yourself.
    https://www.radiodiscussions.com/forums/introduce-yourself.1088/

Thanks in advance and have fun!
    RadioDiscussions Administrators

UTICA/ROME - 1960S

Dave Derby (my brother in law) worked for Nelson's Dept store and Carter's baby clothes and eventually moved to Charlotte NC where he is now enjoying retirement.

Utica/Rome 1960s

Hello...Growing up in the 60's and bothering people at WRNY and WKAL in Rome while in grade and high school, I can tell you that some of the people from the area are still around, some are in different parts of the country and some have passed along.

I cannot speak to o much about WALY or WLFH, however, former WTLB personalities had a reunion about two years ago at the Raddison. I know at WRNY in Rome, Rick Montalbano, who is now teaches piano at SU, along with being a great jazz pianist was on WRNY for years, alogn with Dave Derby when WRNY was called Roman Radio. Then, Carl Eilenberg purchased WRNY and operated it for several years before becoming Mayor of Rome. Carl got out of the radio ownership and passed it along to his ex-wife Norma Eilenberg, and the rest is history with big company take overs.

At WKAL, where I started the 60's included people such as Carmen Paccicia, Gerry Prouty, Arnie Pugh, Mark Howell, George Boyce, Maurice Burke, Dick Romano, Dave Eastwood. Boyce, Burke and Romano, along with Montalbano all worked at WTLB, along with Greg McShea who is now on Big Frog 104, and John Simmons who is Matt Herkimer in the morning on Big Frog. Vic and Lou Gazatano were at WTLb, along with Don Perry, who is in the Albany area. Vic is in Texas, last I heard. Gary Mercer was also at WTLB. I'm sure there are others, that just escape me.

If you are trying to locate them or, are just trying to remember names, let me know and I can speak with the few people I see on a regular basis that used to work at WTLB and they might be able to tell me more.

Adman,
Don't know who you are but I'm that David Bowers and I appreciate your filling in the blanks and thanks to the others who have contributed more details (below). Also, overlooked in the 'roster,' Don Alexander, Bud Grant, the Leskovar brothers all of WRNY and Julie King, Roger Del Nero and Mike Parkurst of WKAL. With TLB, you could write a book but we had Bill Quinn, Don De Rosa, Ken Cornell and Joe Tierno while I was there along with Dan 'The Voice' O'Neill and sadly I forget our newsman (with whom I rode back and forth from Rome with, when I started there, and our 'eccentric' engineer who often left 'surprises' for us in the dark transmitter room!

Dave Derby gave me my start in radio back when I was in high school and I'll never forgive him for it!! lol Seriously, I have appreciated his mentoring more each year and have been in contact with him and Angela to thank him for the one 'job' I had in my life that I could honestly say that I enjoyed.

RE: Dave Derby

Would have jumped back in here sooner except this post does not inform me of adds to the string.

Thanks for the compliment, "jm." It is appreciated. Lost touch with most of the guys from 'the days' .... I do know that Don DeRosa (formerly WTLB, WPTR, WSNY, WKIP et al) is former owner of AM in Fulton NY and can be found during the summer doing 'Oldies Nights' at 'Sweet Inspirations' drive-in in Fulton.

Roger Del Nero, who also started at WKAL, was last known to be hiding out in the quaint little village of Gallupville NY and tried (unsuccessfully) to open an auto repair shop there a couple of years ago. Another name to have disappeared was Julie "THE" King, from back in the very early '60s.

George Boyce worked for a very short period with me at the old WEEE in Albany (Glenmont) in 1967.

As for Dave Derby, the Lescovar brothers and Don Alexander of WRNY, I have no idea where they are. The last I knew the office manager, Barbara Pazdur, was still living in Rome. The last time I spoke with Dave Derby was when the B52 crashed in Floyd in 1967, he gave me a voicer while I was at WEEE. I would really like to track them down and remember 'the good old days' with them.

NOTE: I should amend this (a.o. 2016) as I have tracked down Dave Derby. He is alive and well and living in retirement with his wife, Angele (Mercurio from Rome) in Charlotte, North Caroling. Angela is on Facebook, if you'd like to contact him. I speak with her occasionally.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.
Back
Top Bottom