• Get involved.
    We want your input!
    Apply for Membership and join the conversations about everything related to broadcasting.

After we receive your registration, a moderator will review it. After your registration is approved, you will be permitted to post.
    If you use a disposable or false email address, your registration will be rejected.

After your membership is approved, please take a minute to tell us a little bit about yourself.
    https://www.radiodiscussions.com/forums/introduce-yourself.1088/

Thanks in advance and have fun!
    RadioDiscussions Administrators

TV Reporters leaving.....

Seems like average tenure at KING these days is about 3 years (if that?). Are they just working folks to death and underpaying them?
My guess is the average contract for reporters is thirty-six months. After that, if stations can get someone from another market to work for less, the door makes another rotation.

Another one is leaving:

King 5 sports reporter Jake Garcia posted his contract at KING is up next week and that he’s moving to Phoenix to be closer to his GF Lindsay who’s a reporter in the area.

I would surmise that: 1) Seattle is no longer near the top of news pyramid, 2) there are more media choices for work today than 10-15 years ago, and 3) the younger generation does not see themselves working in one place for 20, 30 or 40 years.

I would surmise that: 1) Seattle is no longer near the top of news pyramid, 2) there are more media choices for work today than 10-15 years ago, and 3) the younger generation does not see themselves working in one place for 20, 30 or 40 years.
I would defer to KellyA on 1) and 2). As for 3), I think it goes both ways. There used to be incentives (i.e. pensions) for working at the same company for years. Over the past four decades, those incentives have largely gone away. Now, there are highly portable 401(K)'s and studies show that you get higher salaries by changing jobs frequently. (Of course, the flip side is that you might find yourself out of a job more easily and for a longer period of time than in the past).

Back
Top Bottom