• Get involved.
    We want your input!
    Apply for Membership and join the conversations about everything related to broadcasting.

After we receive your registration, a moderator will review it. After your registration is approved, you will be permitted to post.
    If you use a disposable or false email address, your registration will be rejected.

After your membership is approved, please take a minute to tell us a little bit about yourself.
    https://www.radiodiscussions.com/forums/introduce-yourself.1088/

Thanks in advance and have fun!
    RadioDiscussions Administrators

Traffic Reports & TV

valkyrie777

Inactive
Inactive User
Perhaps it's just me, but, does it seem silly to give traffic reports on TV? I mean, aside from a few lunkheads with TVs imbedded in their dashboards, who should be driving rather than watching TV, what good is TV-delivered traffic?

Are you going to run right out and jump in your car and drive toward where the traffic WAS lightest fifteen minutes ago? Or, are you going to listen in your car and adjust your route based on an immediate CURRENT report?

Give me a great traffic report on radio, about every ten minutes in the drivetimes and I'm informed. Give me a traffic report on TV and I'm bemused.

> Perhaps it's just me, but, does it seem silly to give
> traffic reports on TV? I mean, aside from a few lunkheads
> with TVs imbedded in their dashboards, who should be driving
> rather than watching TV, what good is TV-delivered traffic?
>
>
> Are you going to run right out and jump in your car and
> drive toward where the traffic WAS lightest fifteen minutes
> ago? Or, are you going to listen in your car and adjust your
> route based on an immediate CURRENT report?
>
> Give me a great traffic report on radio, about every ten
> minutes in the drivetimes and I'm informed. Give me a
> traffic report on TV and I'm bemused.
>

Point well taken, overall. Here's the best argument for TV
traffic reports: cross promoting a radio station's traffic
reports. Everyone's happy. Morning news gets a couple of minutes
of fill material, besides the radio cross promo.

I dunno, I live in a market where most local traffic (read "Metro") is hopelessly out of touch with conditions, so I like seeing the camera shots as the narrator wastes my time.

Traffic Reports & Cell Phones

I've been hearing ads on the radio - ironically in the traffic reports - about some service that will (text or audio) message traffic info to a pager-cell phone-wireless organizer. If I can get traffic as needed and traffic on-demand, what good is radio traffic anymore?

> Perhaps it's just me, but, does it seem silly to give
> traffic reports on TV? I mean, aside from a few lunkheads
> with TVs imbedded in their dashboards, who should be driving
> rather than watching TV, what good is TV-delivered traffic?
>

Satellite radio gives me traffic reports all the time. Ten minutes is often too long to wait to avoid some problem. Another problem, there seems to be a huge time-lag between when something happens (or clears up) and when they mention it on the radio - in addition to the 10 minutes - often longer on many stations - between reports.

Being informed doesn't mean much. Usually they just tell me why I'm stuck and that doesn't help much. My pet-peeve: A station I listen to a lot likes to rattle off a bunch of numbers and they usually don't even tell me why I'm stuck. I'd rather avoid being stuck but I've given up on that one. So, if I am stuck, I'd at least like to know why (like OK some truck turned over and it's only one mile ahead - I can deal with it).

> Give me a great traffic report on radio, about every ten minutes in the
> drivetimes and I'm informed.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.
Back
Top Bottom