• Get involved.
    We want your input!
    Apply for Membership and join the conversations about everything related to broadcasting.

After we receive your registration, a moderator will review it. After your registration is approved, you will be permitted to post.
    If you use a disposable or false email address, your registration will be rejected.

After your membership is approved, please take a minute to tell us a little bit about yourself.
    https://www.radiodiscussions.com/forums/introduce-yourself.1088/

Thanks in advance and have fun!
    RadioDiscussions Administrators

Tommy G to WCTC

It only makes sense. He's the biggest star in NJ who currently doesn't have a terrestrial show, and he would smack down 101.5 in the Monmouth Ocean numbers.

Pretty obvious that 101.5 is going to be VERY sorry that they didn't bring him in for Gearhart or Deminski and Doyle.

I'm going to bet that WCTC puts a syndicated show on AM drive and saves a salary.

Just my guess, but WCTC can't be raking in the big bucks. I surmise, but can't be sure (this is just MY opinion-before anyone blasts me about facts) that a lot of the spots on 1450 are just bonuses from buys on 98.3.

I also don't see 1450's very limited signal smacking anything down or 101.5 being worried about what happens on a peanut whistle 1kW AM.

You may go back to your dream now, sir. Or go back to being Tommy G.

I don't know if it's due to degradation of their antenna system, an increase in the sunspot cycle, or more congestion on the AM band, but WCTC's nighttime signal is nowhere near as good as it was even a decade ago.

I live in northern Somerset County, and their nighttime signal is unlistenable now, whereas it used to be strong and listenable, if a little noisy, years ago. Now it is pretty much drowned out by the chatter of all the other stations on 1450 kHz at night.

TheBigVoiceNJ said:
It only makes sense. He's the biggest star in NJ who currently doesn't have a terrestrial show, and he would smack down 101.5 in the Monmouth Ocean numbers.

Pretty obvious that 101.5 is going to be VERY sorry that they didn't bring him in for Gearhart or Deminski and Doyle.

I don't follow? I thought "insiders" were saying that Deminski and Doyle or Jim Gearhart were on their way out of NJ 101.5 and Tommy G would soon be there? ;)

http://radiodiscussions.com/smf/index.php?topic=233808.0

"TheBigVoiceNJ" is probably Tommy himself.

I'd say of the former NJ101.5 hosts, Alan David Stein has bigger name recognition than Tommy ever did... and Alan is doing the WCTC morning show now. Plus, he was already employed by Greater Media, doing fill-ins on WCTC and WMGQ and a Friday night Doo-Wop show on WMTR, so it saved them from having to hire someone new.

I would seriously doubt that Tommy G would be posting such comments about himself that are pretty over the top. As someone who has listened to Tommy G, he has said on the radio before that he's not a morning person. I'd be willing to wager he's not going to be doing mornings anywhere soon. Besides, we don't have much in terms of good afternoon shows here in Atlantic County, so I do on occasion like listening to his show.

satech said:
I sure hope TheBigVoiceNJ is listening, because Tommy G. is filling in for Bert Baron on WCTC today, 1-3 PM.

Let's see, 2 hours at $ 10 an hour. That's about $ 16 after taxes. Nice gig.

I have to agree with him though... how much could he possibly be making? Let's say it's $50 a shift TOPS. So if he did 5 days a week that's a whopping $200 a week? I can't imagine WCTC has lots of money to throw at local talent. If they did, that abomination called Mancow wouldn't be on in the afternoon.

I am sure Tommy G makes a whole lot more then that.  Nick, as NS Radio Engineering do you think Greater Media would ever use your services after you publicly trashed one of their legendary stations where many famous broadcasters worked.  It is not professional.  WCTC does very well with the income generated from Rutgers football and Mancow is a successful broadcaster and multimillionaire.  Stay classy Nick and stop showing your bitterness that you didn't make it as a sportscaster and are running a dinky engineering company out of your mommy's basement. 

I agree. Tommy G is being compensated very well. Greater Media has the money.  Nick from NS Radio Engineering does sound bitter and petty.  I for one wouldn't use his Engineering services either after what he wrote about Greater Media. He does come across unprofessional. I feel bad for these insecure and bitter people like Nick from NS Radio Engineering.

I am sure Tommy G makes a whole lot more then that. Nick, as NS Radio Engineering do you think Greater Media would ever use your services after you publicly trashed one of their legendary stations where many famous broadcasters worked. It is not professional. WCTC does very well with the income generated from Rutgers football and Mancow is a successful broadcaster and multimillionaire. Stay classy Nick and stop showing your bitterness that you didn't make it as a sportscaster and are running a dinky engineering company out of your mommy's basement.

Of course WCTC will do well with Big 10/Rutgers football.

I also have been in this game long enough to know what people get paid, and it isn't nearly as much as you think outside of a major market. As a 1kW AM on a graveyard frequency, there isn't a ton of cash to go around for air talent. Hence Mancow, D level syndicated talk, who can't even get on in a major market.

As for the rest of your post, did I personally attack you? Also, I never had any dreams of making it as a sportscaster. Also, also, since you know my name and business, how about posting yours, Mr. Big Man on Campus?

Who are you?

It's official Tommy G part of new WCTC lineup

I just saw this in Talkers Magazine. They report that WCTC is going to carry the Tommy G Show. The story also says the PD Bert Baron is moving to mornings with Steve Malzberg formerly of WABC doing afternoons and Rutgers sports on at night. It looks like a great local lineup and I wish them all the best. Sounds like a great move by WCTC. I wish that a station here in Atlantic County could follow their lead and do more local talk.

http://www.talkers.com/

WCTC's website confirms the changes. Bert Baron moves to mornings 6-9 AM, Laura Ingraham moves back an hour 9 AM-12 PM, Tommy G moves in from 12-3 PM, followed by Steve Malzberg from 3-6 PM, and BTN Live from 6-7 PM. Alan Colmes remains at 10 PM-1 AM followed by Red Eye Radio from 1-6 AM, and I would assume that Laura Ingraham repeats will still air from 7-10 PM when there is no sports broadcast.

Hopefully this is just a stepping stone for Tommy G to get the morning show. Bert is a hard-working guy, but he's terribly bland. I've tried listening to Bert's afternoon show, but he's simply not engaging to listen to as a talk show host. He'd be better off across the hall as a DJ on Magic 98.3.

At least they're doing something local and different. Best of luck to Malzberg too!! Always enjoyed him on WABC.

As for Mancow, my point was just proven now that he's off WCTC.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.
Back
Top Bottom