• Get involved.
    We want your input!
    Apply for Membership and join the conversations about everything related to broadcasting.

After we receive your registration, a moderator will review it. After your registration is approved, you will be permitted to post.
    If you use a disposable or false email address, your registration will be rejected.

After your membership is approved, please take a minute to tell us a little bit about yourself.
    https://www.radiodiscussions.com/forums/introduce-yourself.1088/

Thanks in advance and have fun!
    RadioDiscussions Administrators

Tom Kent Is Back

I read an article on All Access recently that said Tom Kent had launched his own new radio network, The Tom Kent Radio Network. There was a link to his web site http://tomkent.com/.
It seems to be similar to his old show on TKO, updated a bit. He features hits of the 60's 70's and 80's with a Daily & Weekend show, An Ultimate Party show on Saturday nights and there is a My 70's show. While the My 70's show page plays promo liners saying CBS-FM, he is not listed on their web site. Also his site lists no affiliates as of yet .For the most part I don't like satellite programming , but his show was lively and fun , and I loved it . Has anybody heard it on the air? If not his website says they will be streaming soon. I hope a station in the Poughkeepsie NY area picks him up. That's unlikely since his last local affiliate 92.9 WBPM; Saugerties dropped him when the station changed hands.

Re: Tom Kent Is Back and Hotter'n EVER!!

Yeah...the Man, the Legend in his own Mind, Truckin' Tom Kent is Back with the Tom Kent Radio Network, TKRN.

If you know of a Jack or Bob, or a Classic Top 40 in your market needing a seriously powerful shot in the format, give them Tom's numbers and contact info! Or better yet, tell 'em to listen for themselves any night of the week, Monday thru Sunday, on WKAZ, Charleston WV

Website is www.1073jackfm.com/onair.shtml
Streaming Online at http://wmc1.liquidviewer.net/wkaz.

Yeah caught his show or part of it anyway on local station up here, WZBY "the bay" 99.7 in Green Bay. Their format is a hybrid "jack" ,classic hits, but their ratings are in the toilet.
I find TK very entertaining, always have. He's a throw back to the boss jock days.

I heard it the other night on a local "oldies" - right. "We don't play oldies...." station.
The station finally dumped the monotonous Mike Harvey non-super "Super Gold."

I'll admit TK's presentation was better than the predecessor on that station, but the show contained way too many disco and 80s songs.

Don62 said:
I heard it the other night on a local "oldies" - right. "We don't play oldies...." station.

I'll admit TK's presentation was better than the predecessor on that station, but the show contained way too many disco and 80s songs.
I personally liked Tom Kent's program (back when it was on the air here in Nashville), but I thought he talked too much! Still, I listened to him when I noticed that he played '70s songs (including disco!) that other stations seemed afraid of! I hadn't noticed him playing '80s songs, but then again, I haven't been able to hear him on a regular basis in a couple of years.

firepoint525 said:
Don62 said:

I personally liked Tom Kent's program (back when it was on the air here in Nashville), but I thought he talked too much! Still, I listened to him when I noticed that he played '70s songs (including disco!) that other stations seemed afraid of! I hadn't noticed him playing '80s songs, but then again, I haven't been able to hear him on a regular basis in a couple of years.
I may be getting things mixed up. Kent did play some disco, but I'm not sure if I heard any 80s in there.

Still, Kent's show was far better than the mediocre and less interesting Mike Harvey, who at one time hosted a decent oldies show.

firepoint525 said:
Don62 said:

Yes Tom Kent does talk more than we are used to on FM these days; he is a throw back to the way radio used to be. Back when radio had personality, was lively and most of all fun to listen to. There are way to many shows on the air that are automated, voice tracked , or might as well be because the jock just reads some pre-scripted lines and moves on to the next song . That is why many people complain about radio stations all sounding generic, and why I love his show. I just wish a station in my area would pick up his network, but for now I will have to settle for listening on line when I am home.
He now has more than 55 affiliates. Here is a partial list I gathered from his on line streaming site (although not all stations flipped the last I checked) and an announcement on All Access.

THE TOM KENT RADIO NETWORK announces new affiliates at
107.9 WODB /COLUMBUS, SAGA
107.9 WSRZ/SARASOTA, CLEAR CHANNEL
98.3 WGCO ADVENTURE RADIO WGCO/SAVANNAH-HILTON HEAD, WEST VIRGINIA
107.3 WKAZ/CHARLESTON, WV CLEAR CHANNEL.
101.7 WHOF/AKRON-CANTON, CLEAR CHANNEL
99.5 WMAG GREENSBORO. CLEAR CHANNEL
98.5 KABG/ALBUQUERQUE AMERICAN GENERAL MEDIA
99.7 WZBY, Sturgeon Bay, Wisconsin
94.7 WOFM
92.1 WCDG MOYOCK NC/ NORFOLK VA
104.3 WOMC, Detroit Mi.
TOM KENT quipped, "We are absolutely amazed by the response to our new programming and are Delighted with all the new additions. We’ve only been in business for a month and already have added over 50 affiliates ... and that number is growing daily!"

Don62 said:
firepoint525 said:
Don62 said:

I may be getting things mixed up. Kent did play some disco, but I'm not sure if I heard any 80s in there.

Still, Kent's show was far better than the mediocre and less interesting Mike Harvey, who at one time hosted a decent oldies show.
I have listened to Mike Harvey, although, again, not lately. What about his program has changed since I last listened to it?

I remember thinking it was kind of funny, several years ago when I was listening to, I think it was Mike Harvey's program, and he played something for the class of 1979 of some high school that was having a class reunion that weekend, but at that time, his program didn't play anything any more recent than the early '70s. If they had had access to Tom Kent's program, he could have played them some tunes that were right down their alley! ;D

firepoint525 said:
Don62 said:
firepoint525 said:
Don62 said:

I have listened to Mike Harvey, although, again, not lately. What about his program has changed since I last listened to it?

I remember thinking it was kind of funny, several years ago when I was listening to, I think it was Mike Harvey's program, and he played something for the class of 1979 of some high school that was having a class reunion that weekend, but at that time, his program didn't play anything any more recent than the early '70s. If they had had access to Tom Kent's program, he could have played them some tunes that were right down their alley! ;D
The 'once great" Mike Harvey when I last listened - probably 3 months ago - played a lot of late 70s and early 80s. I heard My Sharona, Jesse's Girl, etc. drek at the top of the hour. Usually you save the best songs for the top of the hour, as Dick Bartley used to play Runaway or d Walk Like A Man or California Girls or Monday Monday at the start of the show.

Harvey also had a lot of disco in there with very little 60s.
It seemed to be more of a late 70s- early 80s show, not just a 70s-based show that played some 80s and some 60s.

...Sounds like 'taste' differences.... I love TK... He's my generation and I listened to our local "Superhits" just to hear fun and the style of the way the hits of his generation were played... Mike is great guy and worked with his visits in our market when I worked at the prior Oldies station that went Hot Country... On the next Monday the Superhits station was born... Mike is great at information and Tom is just a different era.. Mike was mid-60's to mid-70's in his Top-40 prime.. TK is late-60's to the 80's in his respectable and fun career... I want to know who the great weekend guy for Harvey?... He's more of a sound from the Early to Late-80's CHR style....

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.
Back
Top Bottom