• Get involved.
    We want your input!
    Apply for Membership and join the conversations about everything related to broadcasting.

After we receive your registration, a moderator will review it. After your registration is approved, you will be permitted to post.
    If you use a disposable or false email address, your registration will be rejected.

After your membership is approved, please take a minute to tell us a little bit about yourself.
    https://www.radiodiscussions.com/forums/introduce-yourself.1088/

Thanks in advance and have fun!
    RadioDiscussions Administrators

to current or not to current

regionear

Inactive
Inactive User
here's a question

should a classic rock station play currents?

do currents help or hurt a rock or classic rock station?

> here's a question
>
> should a classic rock station play currents?
>
> do currents help or hurt a rock or classic rock station?
>

Does the song have a classic rock sound? Or is it from a classic rock artist? WMGK played alot of the new Bruce albums over the past couple of years. Artists like Train, the Wallflowers, etc. have a rootsy rock and roll sound that plays well as "instant classics"

> here's a question
>
>
>
I have no problems with a classic rock station playing some currents. As long as they don't burn them out like they do the classics. It would create a balance in the playlist. But then again if a classic rocker would play currents aside from ones by established artists they would be labeled a mainstream rock station which I would love to have here in Orlando.
There was once a classic rock station in New York that also played some currents. Before they played them they ran a sweeper (disclaimer?) that said "It doesn't have to be old to be classic. It just has to be great rock-n-roll.

> There was once a classic rock station in New York that also
> played some currents. Before they played them they ran a
> sweeper (disclaimer?) that said "It doesn't have to be old
> to be classic. It just has to be great rock-n-roll.

That would be WNEW. R.I.P.

>
> Does the song have a classic rock sound? Or is it from a
> classic rock artist? WMGK played alot of the new Bruce
> albums over the past couple of years. Artists like Train,
> the Wallflowers, etc. have a rootsy rock and roll sound that
> plays well as "instant classics"
>

Much depends on if the music is any good. I worked at a classic rock station a few years ago that played a handful of currents. Some were decent tracks, others sucked. I didn't get the impression our listeners cared about the new stuff. Just because Van Halen or Lynyrd Skynyrd or whoever releases a new album doesn't make it worth playing. I would stay away from non-core artists.

> > There was once a classic rock station in New York that
> also
> > played some currents. Before they played them they ran a
> > sweeper (disclaimer?) that said "It doesn't have to be old
>
> > to be classic. It just has to be great rock-n-roll.
>
>
>
> That would be WNEW. R.I.P.
>

Actualy I heard that on WXRK shortly after they changed fron AOR to classic rock in 1988. If WNEW used that slogan when they tried classic rock in the mid 1990's, it was after I had moved. And yes I miss the old WNEW (as a regular rock station)too.

> here's a question
>
>
>

I've talked to a few people and that is a hot button issue.

Some have told me that the phones will light up when new music is played because "they said it sounds like crap,even though it sounds just like the same stuff we already play".... It like for some, rock died in 1985, which is sad to see as numbers actually go down sometimes when new rock is introduced...but go back up when it's all classics....

But I've found other classic rock stations that label themselves as mainstream (but forgo the currents) and have success because it is done right (usually limiting the newer material to about 2-3 years ago and forgoing some of the heavier later material).

IMO however, If done right by someone who really cares and who wants more than the upper part of the target 25-54 demo needs to put at least some of the currents with the classics. Some of the upper part of the demo also like groups like 3 doors down, nickelback and others but don't get a chance to hear them usually on a classics only station playing the same song burnt for the 5th time today.
I find that my favorite stations are those that play about 50/50 new to classic rock. If you stay with stuff that sounds "heritage" or edit some of the new music (such as the screaming that Papa Roach and other groups have a habit of doing to ruin a Heritage sounding song), I think it could be made palitable to dye in the wool classic rock fans as well as those like me who love 40 years of rock and roll (from Crossfade to Hendrix, Foreigner to Three Doors Down). Besides, These same currents will be playing in 10-15 years on this classic rock station anyway, so my opinion is why not play it today instead of waiting a decade?

Also, Some areas have a habit of having just a classic rocker and basically killing any younger listeners. My opinion is if you have a classic rock station and no new rock station to be heard on the radio in your area, that you should at least play some of the newer groups (groups that can sound good to the main target demo also) even though it may be say only from 7pm-5am (when your P1 start worrying more about TV than music). And they wonder why Rock dies in some places, one reason is you are not introducing the younger people to rock that they like along side some of the clasics that they grow to appreciate (I've seen a few of them who listen to alternative but can come back at you with Rush, Black Sabbath, and VH song book)

There's your 2 cents worth and the soap box is all yours now

RFLA

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.
Back
Top Bottom