• Get involved.
    We want your input!
    Apply for Membership and join the conversations about everything related to broadcasting.

After we receive your registration, a moderator will review it. After your registration is approved, you will be permitted to post.
    If you use a disposable or false email address, your registration will be rejected.

After your membership is approved, please take a minute to tell us a little bit about yourself.
    https://www.radiodiscussions.com/forums/introduce-yourself.1088/

Thanks in advance and have fun!
    RadioDiscussions Administrators

Time Warp or Flashback?

Both shows have been co existing for about six months. So the question is, which do you prefer? I say Time Warp is the better show hands down. It's exactly as if the old Bill St James Flashback never went away. To me, Flashback isn't even Flashback anymore. Not saying Matt is a bad host, on its own merit it is a good show. But it just isn't Flashback anymore...the show now is Time Warp. The only thing It lacks is Bill's classic 'Flashback News' segment, which didn't carry over (but still is featured on Pinfield's Flashback)

I'm surprised Flashback still has more affiliates than TW though. Back in 1989 when Shadoe Stevens took over American Top 40 and Casey Kasem launched Casey's Top 40, affiliates were very clear they had loyalty to Casey. While Bill has gotten affiliate support, based on numbers and Facebook likes, Flashback with Matt Pinfield seems to be winning.

I know my local affiliate wont switch to Time Warp, and they are not a Cumulus station. They are committed to airing Pinfield. They have aired Flashback since the beginning in 1986, but have no interest in keeping Bill St James on the station.

I'm not sure if Time Warp offers a two hour option like Flashback. Could that be hurting them? Stations that only air the two hour show aren't interested in all 4 hours of Time Warp?

If I were a PD I would have added Time Warp immediately. I am not saying I would drop Flashback, but I would have moved Bill St James to whatever time slot he had been on and found a different timeslot for Pinfield. And if I only had room for one, it would be Time Warp.

Thoughts?

Wow, listening to the demo of Time Warp it sounds just like the old (and awesome) Flashback. Here it is for your listening pleasure:
http://soundcloud.com/andrew867/time-warp-radio-show-scope

There was a local station to me (Newfoundland, Canada) that played Flashback (and even with Pinfield for a while). A source had mentioned to me that their distributor dropped it and that was why they stopped airing it.

I really enjoyed the show when Bill was on and am now looking forward to seeing if the station will start to carry Time Warp instead!

Lehos said:
Both shows have been co existing for about six months. So the question is, which do you prefer? I say Time Warp is the better show hands down. It's exactly as if the old Bill St James Flashback never went away. To me, Flashback isn't even Flashback anymore. Not saying Matt is a bad host, on its own merit it is a good show. But it just isn't Flashback anymore...the show now is Time Warp. The only thing It lacks is Bill's classic 'Flashback News' segment, which didn't carry over (but still is featured on Pinfield's Flashback)

I'm surprised Flashback still has more affiliates than TW though. Back in 1989 when Shadoe Stevens took over American Top 40 and Casey Kasem launched Casey's Top 40, affiliates were very clear they had loyalty to Casey. While Bill has gotten affiliate support, based on numbers and Facebook likes, Flashback with Matt Pinfield seems to be winning.

I know my local affiliate wont switch to Time Warp, and they are not a Cumulus station. They are committed to airing Pinfield. They have aired Flashback since the beginning in 1986, but have no interest in keeping Bill St James on the station.

I'm not sure if Time Warp offers a two hour option like Flashback. Could that be hurting them? Stations that only air the two hour show aren't interested in all 4 hours of Time Warp?

If I were a PD I would have added Time Warp immediately. I am not saying I would drop Flashback, but I would have moved Bill St James to whatever time slot he had been on and found a different timeslot for Pinfield. And if I only had room for one, it would be Time Warp.

Thoughts?
I too am a Bill St James fan since 1987 show, but I think Matt (6 months) of listening is doing a great job. There is room for both shows, Matt has added the music of the 1990's with different theme's like GPS and Roulette through different years which I like. It shouldn't be about stuck in one time period. Its a different thing I listened to in the early years of Flashback(Bill), like a show by the Late Great George Taylor Morris "Reeling in the Years" , that did stuff Bill didn't do on his show !
THERE IS ROOM FOR BOTH SHOWS !
I'll give them a try !

Thanks, Joe

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.
Back
Top Bottom