• Get involved.
    We want your input!
    Apply for Membership and join the conversations about everything related to broadcasting.

After we receive your registration, a moderator will review it. After your registration is approved, you will be permitted to post.
    If you use a disposable or false email address, your registration will be rejected.

After your membership is approved, please take a minute to tell us a little bit about yourself.
    https://www.radiodiscussions.com/forums/introduce-yourself.1088/

Thanks in advance and have fun!
    RadioDiscussions Administrators

Time-Warner So Cal: What Are You Getting Now?

For those with Time-Warner in the LA Market: Have other channels replaced KCBS 2 and KCAL 9? Or do you have screens that basically say "Mover on, nothing to see here". I also heard that Showtime/Movie Channel subscribers have been switched over to HBO/Cinemax for the time being. Is this true? Have they replaced the CBS Sports Network with another channel?

I heard that those with their internet service through TW were being blocked from watching CBS shows from the CBS web site. Since many neighborhoods have ,or did have when I lived out there, slow DSL that would suck. My neighborhood was not destined for AT&T fiber anytime soon before I moved out.

nmoore6676 said:
I heard that those with their internet service through TW were being blocked from watching CBS shows from the CBS web site.

ALL TWC internet subscribers nationwide are locked out of CBS.com whether or not their market is affected by the carriage squabble. Frankly, I don't know why anyone would put up with this crap. With Netflix, Amazon Prime and countless abundance of media on the web... cable television should be dead and buried by now.

But sheep tend to be sheep. BAAA!

Robnoxious said:
nmoore6676 said:
I heard that those with their internet service through TW were being blocked from watching CBS shows from the CBS web site.

ALL TWC internet subscribers nationwide are locked out of CBS.com whether or not their market is affected by the carriage squabble. Frankly, I don't know why anyone would put up with this crap. With Netflix, Amazon Prime and countless abundance of media on the web... cable television should be dead and buried by now.

Someone needs to draw a parallel between watching shows on VHS tape and from Netflix, Hulu, Amazon et others. Same thing, different dance moves. Even late night hosts are prepared beforehand and are not live so a VOD for each isn't out of the question.

Appointment or linear TV will only involve live programming (sports, news, speeches) while everything else will be on demand when it's made available for us to get around to watching it either episode by episode or a whole season marathon. The ad inserts are fresh so what to buy is recent offers. It's Television in the 21st century and we're only a few years behind.

I'll just take internet service: TV & Phone come with if you know how to use the internet.

There's an interesting variation on the CBS vs. TWC debacle in the Bakersfield/Kern Co. market (which is the adjacent area north of LA): Most of that cable service area is provided by Bright House Networks (formerly TWC.) Bakersfield is still getting CBS programming courtesy of KBAK-29. However, KCAL-9 *is* being blacked out! The channel 9 slot formerly occupied by KCAL now has a generic text message stating the channel is unavailable during the CBS/TWC dispute. This is occurring because although Bright House and TWC are totally separate companies, most Bright House areas were formerly TWC areas and they are still very tightly connected. When Bright House emerged from the former TWC area, it basically acted as a shell entity, and is still entirely programmed directly by TWC. BHN is reliant upon TWC for all its cable services, so whatever TWC does, BHN simply follows and mirrors its programming decisions. BHN even uses TWC's RoadRunner for its ISP offerings. Oddly enough, even though Bakersfield is on TWC's RoadRunner ISP, CBS.com is *not* being blocked at this time -- all shows can still be accessed and streamed normally. So for now, until this snafu gets resolved, Bakersfield is only missing out on CBS' KCAL-9 and seemingly nothing else.

-Wolf-

Robnoxious said:
nmoore6676 said:

On today's episode of NPR's Wait Wait...Don't Tell Me, host Peter Sagal spoke with a man who called in from San Antonio and said he worked in a warehouse for Time Warner Cable. Sagal asked him what was in the warehouse. He said there were cables and boxes and other things that are needed by the installers. Sagal told him, "Look in there for CBS." :)

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.
Back
Top Bottom