• Get involved.
    We want your input!
    Apply for Membership and join the conversations about everything related to broadcasting.

After we receive your registration, a moderator will review it. After your registration is approved, you will be permitted to post.
    If you use a disposable or false email address, your registration will be rejected.

After your membership is approved, please take a minute to tell us a little bit about yourself.
    https://www.radiodiscussions.com/forums/introduce-yourself.1088/

Thanks in advance and have fun!
    RadioDiscussions Administrators

'Time to cosider "pre-modern music" as your kick!

hipporadio

Inactive
Inactive User
PPM data [I’m “suspect” – but “hey”] shows a breath of air for “pre-modern music stations”... UNDERSTANDABLE - given the loyalty [and relevance] of this group. How can you dismiss “radio’s biggest fans”? Interesting, that the breakouts in Philly and LA show a downward skew to the UPPER TWENTIES in listenership. Granted, these are 70s stations [I’m NOT opposed to that], but these facilities offer GREAT PROGRAMMING to solid listeners in their late-40s. I fall in that group, and that would be MY ONLY music choice on terrestrial radio. I have HUGE spending power, and like GOOD radio. I would LISTEN to an FM or AM that served that up... Are ANY of you “corporate types´reading?

hipporadio said:
PPM data [I’m “suspect” – but “hey”] shows a breath of air for “pre-modern music stations”... UNDERSTANDABLE - given the loyalty [and relevance] of this group. How can you dismiss “radio’s biggest fans”? Interesting, that the breakouts in Philly and LA show a downward skew to the UPPER TWENTIES in listenership.

There is no PPM data for LA. Won't be until the first quarter of 2008.

There is no "downward skew" for oldies in either Philly or Houston. Of course, the Philly station is not oldies, but Classic Hits, so it "moved" to a younger demo upon abandoning oldies for a different audience group. The PPM just reflected this.

Granted, these are 70s stations [I’m NOT opposed to that], but these facilities offer GREAT PROGRAMMING to solid listeners in their late-40s.

KRTH in LA has added some 70's, but it is still an oldies station playing lots of 60's. Philly, of course, is not oldies any more.

Oh David... I SOOOO expected you to “chime-in” on this post with your negative corporate spin. After 10,000 posts here – DO YOU HAVE A LIFE?... One that ISN’T in the biz of dising folks your same age. FACT: In the markets I mentioned – “pre-modern music” is on a rise – your sacred ARB methodology IS reflecting that... Ratings are good, and reflect a “downward skew” – WHY can’t you just “chill”, lose the “expert act”, and admit it?

In my community, we have FOUR pre-modern music stations in a battle. Granted, ONLY TWO will ultimately be viable – but they are “fighting” and broadcasting nonetheless. Just consider “service” to be a plus... And I’m NOT INTERESTED in your “agency perspective”... [I mean] HOW MANY OF US collect cash in advance at the front door for DIRECT BUSINESS... You’re atempting to function in a "dream world" David!

hipporadio said:
Oh David... I SOOOO expected you to “chime-in” on this post with your negative corporate spin. After 10,000 posts here – DO YOU HAVE A LIFE?... One that ISN’T in the biz of dising folks your same age. FACT: In the markets I mentioned – “pre-modern music” is on a rise – your sacred ARB methodology IS reflecting that... Ratings are good, and reflect a “downward skew” – WHY can’t you just “chill”, lose the “expert act”, and admit it?

In Philly, WOGL is classified as "70's Oldies" or what the industry is calling Classic Hits. Of course it is on the rise in sales demos, as it plays to the 40-54 crowd as a core, not to 50 or 55+. In LA, where there is no PPM data, KRTH is moving up to the mid 70's, but has lots of 60's still there... look at MediaBase. The change has moved the 25-54 from the high 2's to the low 3's, which in LA is not bad... but there is not a huge increase... they still are not Top 10 in any sales demo.

In my community, we have FOUR pre-modern music stations in a battle.

And what market would that be?

Granted, ONLY TWO will ultimately be viable – but they are “fighting” and broadcasting nonetheless. Just consider “service” to be a plus... And I’m NOT INTERESTED in your “agency perspective”... [I mean] HOW MANY OF US collect cash in advance at the front door for DIRECT BUSINESS... You’re atempting to function in a "dream world" David!

In the larger markets, survival means getting agency buys. In some markets, they are the majority of all buys of signficance, and even more a majority in dollars. If you are, as I have said over and over, in a non rated or small rated market, direct business is important and demos are not... but in New York or most of the top market, without agency business it is very hard if not impossible. And agency business is done based on cost vs. delivery of in demo listeners.

Let's see what happens next week in NYC. It's nice to see the format's not even on the air yet and already on the cover of the Daily News.

I had predicted a switch back to what CBS-FM was doing would be a PR coup and a no-brainer. Seems like it's going to happen. As one poster said on the NYRMB, Grant on ABC, CBS-FM coming back.... Is Common Sense Finally Taking Over New York Radio. If, as Dr Sniffen surmises, it has to do with the way PPM collects data, which is a reasonable argument, than God Bless it for being the factor that wakes people up, or the dumb luck device that allows radio to reexplore what it should never have left.

wgliradio said:
I had predicted a switch back to what CBS-FM was doing would be a PR coup and a no-brainer. Seems like it's going to happen.

As most expected, the press release confirms a 70's based classic hits approach, "what CBS-FM was doing."

With the PPM going live in NY in two months, this seems like a smart move to get better ratings in the sales demos than what Jack was generating.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.
Back
Top Bottom