• Get involved.
    We want your input!
    Apply for Membership and join the conversations about everything related to broadcasting.

After we receive your registration, a moderator will review it. After your registration is approved, you will be permitted to post.
    If you use a disposable or false email address, your registration will be rejected.

After your membership is approved, please take a minute to tell us a little bit about yourself.
    https://www.radiodiscussions.com/forums/introduce-yourself.1088/

Thanks in advance and have fun!
    RadioDiscussions Administrators

Time For A Rule Change

But the translators have moved all the listeners and money to FM.

The FCC is a regulatory agency. They're not going to authorize the shut-down of a federal resource by themselves.

It's also tough to explain this to taxpayers that they'd be doing this while at the same time forcing car makers to keep AM.

Not much of a public resource if there's no money, no listeners, and nobody left to do it.

My car has AM. It's been a long time since I went there.

Is there anything I've said that's not true? The NAB is spending member money convincing congress how great AM is.

And at the same time, you want an agency that operates under congressional oversight to shut AM down.

Another way might be to allow the FM translators to stay on as long as the station holds a valid AM license.
The FCC allowed an AM here in Indiana to use a long wire and keep getting STA's for two decades.

Keep in mind it's different for the big corporations. They have HD2 and HD3. They put the AM on HD2. The HD2 drives the translator. They can now dismantle the AM and sell the tower site while originating programing on the HD2.

The small town AM's can't afford to do that.

Last edited:
WJLX in Jasper Alabama,,,,Mid December 2023.

Attachments

• FB_IMG_1708043231590.jpg
    FB_IMG_1708043231590.jpg
    175.9 KB · Views: 21
  • FB_IMG_1708043235619.jpg
    FB_IMG_1708043235619.jpg
    50.4 KB · Views: 21
from the looks of the pictures I wonder if the AM was working before the tower was stolen. That might be why the FCC not willing to give a waiver / STA. There really should have been am "alarm or the annoying robot phone call from what ever system they were using to control the transmitter" when the AM went off so they could turn off the FM to stay legal. I am sure it took more than an hour to take down the tower and load it and the transmitter and associated equipment into a trailer or U-Haul. Someone should have driven out the site to "fix" or reset the transmitter. I think there is more going on than what we are being told.

from the looks of the pictures I wonder if the AM was working before the tower was stolen.

In another thread, there's a post from a local reporter that said the AM has been off the air for a while. The tower fell down a couple years ago, and the tower and transmitter shack have been prey to vandals. The photos document that report.

Here's a link to that Facebook post:

I think there is more going on than what we are being told.

The understatement of the week.

Nobody. Is. Buying. Radios. Anymore. The government would have to strong-arm manufacturers into producing any radios with the new band for the American market, then bribe retailers into stocking them.
My daughter worked at a thrift shop a few years ago. She said you wouldn't believe how many radios they took in every week.

Back
Top Bottom