• Get involved.
    We want your input!
    Apply for Membership and join the conversations about everything related to broadcasting.

After we receive your registration, a moderator will review it. After your registration is approved, you will be permitted to post.
    If you use a disposable or false email address, your registration will be rejected.

After your membership is approved, please take a minute to tell us a little bit about yourself.
    https://www.radiodiscussions.com/forums/introduce-yourself.1088/

Thanks in advance and have fun!
    RadioDiscussions Administrators

Tim Ring Exits KPHX/KTVK

tvspy.com is reporting that Tim Ring has exited KPHO/KTVK. It sounds like it was a surprise to Tim (i.e. not necessarily expected). I've noticed that on weekdays they often no longer have a "defined" sports segment. The anchors read the sports stories and might have a taped report from Joey P or Mark M. It seems that, like many stations, sports is being de-emphasized. I believe that 10, 12, and 15 still have traditional sports segments (my favorite is still Bruce Cooper over on 12, though the rest of their newscast is not great).

Phoenix "sports" reporting these past few decades have been limited to the CAHDnulls and D-backs almost exclusively. Almost zero mention of hockey and basketball. Hell, minor league and foreign soccer teams get more coverage than the Coyotes and Suns.

Not unusual though. Given a choice the local TV news will jump to cover a good vehicle collision over a much more important economic or political story every time. And a good percentage of "news" stories are, in fact, morning show fodder and fluff pieces.

Phoenix "sports" reporting these past few decades have been limited to the CAHDnulls and D-backs almost exclusively. Almost zero mention of hockey and basketball. Hell, minor league and foreign soccer teams get more coverage than the Coyotes and Suns.

Maybe that's because there's been so little to talk about, other than how bad the Coyotes and Suns stink.

Not unusual though. Given a choice the local TV news will jump to cover a good vehicle collision over a much more important economic or political story every time. And a good percentage of "news" stories are, in fact, morning show fodder and fluff pieces.

I wonder if it's because they're not allowed to stream their sportscasts, since they don't own the highlights they would normally air. Unlike the rest of their newscasts that they produce themselves.

Maybe that's because there's been so little to talk about, other than how bad the Coyotes and Suns stink.

I won't comment on the Suns season because I don't follow them at all but they did get plenty of coverage (for a day or two) around the recent NBA draft. Once they lost the #1 pick though it was very quickly back to obscurity.

The Coyotes made a great run at a Wild Card spot this past season but, due primarily to critical injuries, they came up several points short. During the time they were jockeying with Colorado (it was back and forth for several weeks) there was virtually no coverage.

And to be somewhat fair to the local sportscasters I don't recall any story that dwelled upon "how much the teams stink". They just don't say anything at all.

It's interesting, sometimes a station will send off their employees publicly with a "best-of-luck" wish at the end of a newscast. Other times, they never say a word. With the latter, that's when you know a "split" ISN'T amicable. That could have been the case with Ring.

I won't comment on the Suns season because I don't follow them at all but they did get plenty of coverage (for a day or two) around the recent NBA draft. Once they lost the #1 pick though it was very quickly back to obscurity.

Let's put the Suns in this perspective: When I moved back here in 1994, the Suns were God and the Cardinals were a national joke (of course, the Coyotes and D'backs didn't exist yet). Did you or anyone else in the valley think that, 20-25 years later, the Bidwills would be the best team owners in Phoenix, and the Suns' ownership would be a national laughingstock?

Didn't think so.

Let's put the Suns in this perspective: When I moved back here in 1994, the Suns were God and the Cardinals were a national joke (of course, the Coyotes and D'backs didn't exist yet). Did you or anyone else in the valley think that, 20-25 years later, the Bidwills would be the best team owners in Phoenix, and the Suns' ownership would be a national laughingstock?

Didn't think so.

The Suns were the first high level professional sports team in the Valley starting play in 1968 and accordingly deserved the attention they received. During that time we had ASU of course and with so many alums living here they got a lion's share of publicity as well. Much less so were the original minor league Roadrunners and high school sports although both these had dedicated followings. Anyone who attended a Roadrunner game would note that the Madhouse on McDowell would be filled with fanatic fans easily the equal of any NHL building. Heck of a deal for a $3 ticket.

When the CAHDnulls and the D-backs came to town there was a huge flurry of stories (Phoenix was at last in the BIG LEAGUE sports category) - something that hasn't happened with the Coyotes (people forget they came to town with a boatload of name players and Old-#99-What's-His-Name, the "coach"). The Coyotes fell into all sorts of disrepair with team owners, coaches and name players and within 2 years were a skeleton team. Likewise the D-backs after their World Series win and Phoenix' version of the Chicago Cubs, the CAHDnulls, after their Super Bowl fiasco. Despite continuing frustration with both football and baseball teams both seem to get more than their fair share of coverage while the Suns and Coyotes get bupkis. Even the Mercury and various soccer teams get more coverage.

Now, I don't listen to sports radio so my comments are directed at the "civilian" TV and radio stations where sports used to be part of the daily news shows. Sports radio seems to be a never-ending argument between the hosts over a wide variety of subjects and I get enough of that at home (I'm kidding Honey! Honest!). For that reason I don't follow the soap opera that is team ownership here in the Valley but just on what I do hear I can't believe the Bidwills are considered the best owners (although Michael does definitely seem to be better than Bill).

Maybe the Sun's solution is to move down I-10 to Tucson where basketball is the major sport. Wildcat football would not give them much competition. ;)

In my almost 20 years of living in Phoenix, I've switched through all of the local TV channels and spent time watching each newscasts. While some stations are better than others, I've noticed that TV sports coverage/recaps isn't a big deal. I grew up in Detroit, and the sportscaster was on equal footing as the anchors and weatherperson. I've been watching 3TV more, and a couple of years ago they had a group commercial with their morning and evening news team. Tim Ring was missing. Even Gary Harper was there!
Wishing good luck to Tim.

No need waiting for the 10:00 pm news

In my almost 20 years of living in Phoenix, I've switched through all of the local TV channels and spent time watching each newscasts. While some stations are better than others, I've noticed that TV sports coverage/recaps isn't a big deal. I grew up in Detroit, and the sportscaster was on equal footing as the anchors and weatherperson. I've been watching 3TV more, and a couple of years ago they had a group commercial with their morning and evening news team. Tim Ring was missing. Even Gary Harper was there!
Wishing good luck to Tim.
it is no longer necessary to wait for the next news report to hear what happens in sports. My phone lets me know instantly any score I am interested in. if i want further analysis(ugh) there is the 1 1/2 hour sports center on ESPN which is rerun all night long. Also now with the internet I can find out any details that interest me. The point is I don't need the local sports guy to tell what is happening in sports anymore.

it is no longer necessary to wait for the next news report to hear what happens in sports. My phone lets me know instantly any score I am interested in. if i want further analysis(ugh) there is the 1 1/2 hour sports center on ESPN which is rerun all night long. Also now with the internet I can find out any details that interest me. The point is I don't need the local sports guy to tell what is happening in sports anymore.

True. And we can extend it to news and weather as well. Just because consumers can get X some other place shouldn't mean that you half-ass it.

I don't think it was half-assed.

True. And we can extend it to news and weather as well. Just because consumers can get X some other place shouldn't mean that you half-ass it.

I think to be fair in weeks past we have heard Meredith (the owners of KPHO/KTVK) is thinking of getting out of the TV business. Perhaps Meredith is trying to get rid of high dollar contracts that might interfere with the potential sale. If I were a betting person (I am not) my guess is there will be further gleaning and consolidation of high dollar position at all Meredith stations.

I think to be fair in weeks past we have heard Meredith (the owners of KPHO/KTVK) is thinking of getting out of the TV business. Perhaps Meredith is trying to get rid of high dollar contracts that might interfere with the potential sale. If I were a betting person (I am not) my guess is there will be further gleaning and consolidation of high dollar position at all Meredith stations.

BINGO! And I note that they really never replaced Brandon Lee. Yes, they have essentially promoted Jared Dillingham (but then they didn't backfill Jared's position). I'm sure Jared is cheaper than Brandon was. I'm sure that they are doing this for potential buyers.

With the possible exception of Scott Pasmore on GMAZ, I think we could see the "retirement" of other longtime expensive employees on KTVK/KPHO.

One thing that should be noted: the local station do have good 'Friday Night Lights' high school football recaps.

Forgot to mention that 3TV brought on Tresa Tudrick. Tudrick formerly worked at 12 News. She has a lot of energy. She was introduced as a new member of "Arizona's Family" but as of right now isn't on their website.

Forgot to mention that 3TV brought on Tresa Tudrick. Tudrick formerly worked at 12 News. She has a lot of energy. She was introduced as a new member of "Arizona's Family" but as of right now isn't on their website.

"Energy?" How about a decibel level that reminds me of Warner Wolf?

She's not bad as a reporter, but she has to decrease the volume. Now that she's with a more professional news organization (when compared with Channel 12, who's been awful for years), she should get better and be more relaxed in the coming months.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.
Back
Top Bottom