• Get involved.
    We want your input!
    Apply for Membership and join the conversations about everything related to broadcasting.

After we receive your registration, a moderator will review it. After your registration is approved, you will be permitted to post.
    If you use a disposable or false email address, your registration will be rejected.

After your membership is approved, please take a minute to tell us a little bit about yourself.
    https://www.radiodiscussions.com/forums/introduce-yourself.1088/

Thanks in advance and have fun!
    RadioDiscussions Administrators

"This Week in Baseball" affiliates

It's baseball season and I want to know where "This Week in Baseball" aired in your market. I'm talking about the original Mel Allen era from 1977-1996, as well as the 1996-1998 post-Mel Allen years when the then-recently retired Ozzie Smith hosted until the show's cancellation. Not the Fox revival from the 2000s that was a lead-in for Fox's "Game of the Week" coverage.

I grew up in the Chicagoland area towards the latter years of the show's run and "TWIB" aired on Sundays before the Cubs game (or in some cases, the White Sox, as they had returned to WGN in 1990 after being on WFLD Fox 32 in the 80s.)

Other TWIB markets nationwide (according to the not-always reliable Wikipedia):
New York - WNBC and later WWOR (then carrying the Mets)
Los Angeles - KTTV (then carrying the Dodgers)
Atlanta - WTBS during its "Superstation days" and airing Braves baseball.

What about in other markets not mentioned, specifically in ones that have a baseball team.
San Francisco bay area
Philadelphia
Boson
St. Louis
Seattle
Baltimore
Houston
Dallas
San Diego
Kansas City
Cleveland
Cincinnati
Pittsburgh
Milwaukee
Detroit
Minneapolis
Toronto
Montreal
Denver
Miami
Washington DC (though DC didn't have a baseball team at the time)
Tampa-St. Petersburg ("TWIB" was pretty much over with by the time the Rays debuted in 1998)
Phoenix ("TWIB" was pretty much over with by the time the Diamondbacks debuted in 1998)

Did a quick search of Classic TV schedules and spotted the following:

Boston - WSBK (Red Sox)
Philadelphia - WPHL (Phillies)
Toronto - CFTO (Blue Jays)
Milwaukee - WVTV (Brewers)
St. Louis - KPLR (Cardinals)
Pittsburgh - KDKA (Pirates)
Baltimore - WMAR (Orioles)
Denver - KUSA (though it was from a 5/04/1986 tv schedule and it's unknown where the show aired when the Rockies came to the league in 1993).

In New York, TWIB was airing on WPIX (which carried Yankees baseball) during its earlier years, at least into 1984. By 1989 (possibly earlier), the show was airing on WWOR (which carried Mets baseball). By 1997 (the 2nd to last year of its original run), TWIB was airing on WBIS (now WPXN).

In Los Angeles, TWIB was airing on KNBC starting in 1985 as the show was airing on KTTV a year prior. By 1993, the show was still airing on KNBC even as CBS was still having the MLB package rights and the Dodgers and the then-California Angels were broadcasted on KTLA (the Dodgers just joining from KTTV a year prior and Angels would soon jump to KCAL two years later.)

In Chicago, TWIB first aired on WSNS in 1977 (then an English-speaking independent and carrying White Sox baseball). By 1980 (possibly earlier), the show was airing on WGN (the then-long time baseball home of the Cubs). I always assumed WGN always aired TWIB but I wasn't alive back then.

Other markets that aired TWIB at various points between 1977 and 1998:
Fresno, CA - KAIL
Terre Haute, IN - WTWO
Rockford, IL - WTVO
Hartford, CT - WFSB
Portland, OR - KGW
Marquette, MI - WLUC
Cadillac, MI - WWTV
Orlando, FL - WAYK
Kitchener, ON - CKCO
Buffalo, NY - CBLT
Green Bay, WI - WLRE
Saint John, NW - CHSJ
Toledo, OH - WTOL
Madison, WI - WMTV
Portland, ME - WSCH
Dayton, OH - WHIO
Mason City, IA - KIMT
Halifax, NS - CJCH (ATV/CTV Atlantic)
Quad Cities, IA - WQAD
Burlington, IA - KJMH
Salt Lake City, UT - KUTV

TWIB aired on KPIX in its early years,(not consistently, but as filler before A's games) and also during the CBS period of MLB coverage in the early 90s. In between, it moved to KRON.

Back
Top Bottom