• Get involved.
    We want your input!
    Apply for Membership and join the conversations about everything related to broadcasting.

After we receive your registration, a moderator will review it. After your registration is approved, you will be permitted to post.
    If you use a disposable or false email address, your registration will be rejected.

After your membership is approved, please take a minute to tell us a little bit about yourself.
    https://www.radiodiscussions.com/forums/introduce-yourself.1088/

Thanks in advance and have fun!
    RadioDiscussions Administrators

This explains a lot about KTRH "News".

schmave said:
93-3TheSurge said:
Again, I hope to see KTRH get on the FM band sometime within this year.

Austin's KLBJ, Dallas's WBAP, New Orleans's WWL all do an FM simulcast, so hopefully we will see KTRH-FM on 93.7 real soon.

I think KTRH in the morning is great. I don't listen to Michael Berry because after Rush and Hannity I am all "conservatived" out, but there coverage of the Astros is fantastic.

Any particular reason it'd be 93.7? Or is that the perceived weakest link among the CC FM stations?
KTRH-FM would be good not only for sound quality, but certainly to serve those northern areas after sunset when 740 goes directional. To that end, maybe Clear Channel ought to buy 106.9 and make *it* KTRH-FM. It would kill two birds with one stone ... :)

The reason I picked 93.7 is because it does seem to be the weakest link.

Also, I agree with you that the areas to the north cannot pick up 740AM as well, I know I get complaints from friends in Huntsville, Navasota, and College Station, so if CC bought 97.1 or 106.9, that would be an even better choice than 93-7.

As far as the radio-locator map is concerned, when it comes to nighttime programming, I think the area inside the red is probably the best coverage map for KTRH. I live in Austin, which according to the map is inside "distant" listening range, when in reality nighttime KTRH listening is a "fringe" experience; at times it sounds like I am right there in downtown Houston, and other times it sounds like I am in Carlsbad, NM, because KATK-AM 740 will interfere.

On the contrary, radio-locator's daytime programming map is an excellent coverage map for daytime listening on KTRH.

93-3TheSurge said:
if CC bought 97.1 or 106.9, that would be an even better choice than 93-7.

Which they can't do, since they are at their market limit (CC had to sell two FM's when the private equity groups took over the company.)

other times it sounds like I am in Carlsbad, NM, because KATK-AM 740 will interfere.

On a trip to Carlsbad in the late 90's I heard KTRH underneath the local 740 just after sunset (too early to see if KCBS would also make it in.)

Mediafrog+ said:
93-3TheSurge said:
if CC bought 97.1 or 106.9, that would be an even better choice than 93-7.

Which they can't do, since they are at their market limit (CC had to sell two FM's when the private equity groups took over the company.)

other times it sounds like I am in Carlsbad, NM, because KATK-AM 740 will interfere.

On a trip to Carlsbad in the late 90's I heard KTRH underneath the local 740 just after sunset (too early to see if KCBS would also make it in.)

OK then, 93.7 it is.

---------------------------------------------

I usually love pulling in out-of-town radio stations, but I hate hearing KATK-AM Carlsbad when I'm trying to hear the Astros' 10th Inning Show here in Austin.

Bob Branson did a good job of analyzing and explaining the reality.

93-3TheSurge said:

Austin's KLBJ, Dallas's WBAP, New Orleans's WWL all do an FM simulcast, so hopefully we will see KTRH-FM on 93.7 real soon.

I think KTRH in the morning is great. I don't listen to Michael Berry because after Rush and Hannity I am all "conservatived" out, but there coverage of the Astros is fantastic.

KLBJ-AM and KLBJ-FM are two different formats. The AM is News/Talk and FM is AAA Rock. Dale Dudley and Bob do a boring show in the mornings....if you ever want to hear two guys who love to hear themselves talk, it's them

Mikdeetx said:
93-3TheSurge said:

KLBJ-AM and KLBJ-FM are two different formats. The AM is News/Talk and FM is AAA Rock. Dale Dudley and Bob do a boring show in the mornings....if you ever want to hear two guys who love to hear themselves talk, it's them

KLBJ (AM) does indeed have a FM simulcast on 99.7 in Austin, a translator that used to rebroadcast the 93.3 signal.

I stand corrected. What are the call letters? All I have is what I can get from Media Monitors. Other markets you can get the AM/FM simulcast under Media Logs.

Henry McClurg said:
In the old days (the 70s) KTRH, KPRC, KULF, KENR, KXYZ, KILT, KODA and maybe others all had a full-time newsstaff, many of them a 24-hour staff. I was on on the staff at KENR and KULF. We all covered City Hall meetings, hung out at the police station on Reisner (even had our own assigned parking at the station), covered County Commissioners meetings, and generally went to the scenes of major news events, hurricanes included.

And we all made money. Why can't some station or stations do that again?
to piggyback on your thought, I worked at KILT back in the mid-90s and remember Pat Hernandez working his butt off...as a news guy...for a country & sports station. Later at KLDE, I remember our news person being given the spanish-archer (ELbow) and news on music stations went bye-bye.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.
Back
Top Bottom